1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Good god I'm finding this incredibly frustrating because I feel boxed into a corner where I just can't justify why I root for the patriots at all. Every step of the way it's invalidated.

Yes, I've never been a sports guy. But god forbid that I finally decide to join my friends' FF league for shits and giggles, find myself learning about a single sport, and find a team to root for based on the city I've lived some of my most formative years in. Doesn't that make it more fun since you're more engaged?

What I'm hearing is this message that I must be full of shit to be rooting for the patriots. That I'm a fair weather fan. At first it was because I supposedly shouldn't have picked them as a home team because I must have lived somewhere beyond New England for the other 20 years of my life.

Then it was because I only started rooting for them since the 2015 season? So then where does that leave us? That implies that there must be some arbitrary amount of time one must root for a team before it becomes legit.

Y'all acting like I'm parading around the entire forum laughing in peoples' faces how the pats won. As if I just magically started rooting for them the moment I found out they made the super bowl this year. That is not the case.

If my rooting for the pats is so full of shit, why didn't anyone call me out before they won the Super Bowl?

Seriously, tell me explicitly what it is that I'm missing and I'll eat my own words.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Did not watch the Superbowl; was good decision. :)

5. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

You have to go through a time period where the team sucks to be legit (unless you were born into it). You must pay your dues.

6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

You shouldn't have beaten me in FF.

7. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

During the time I've been a fan of the Rams, they have never even gotten up to .500. There have been two 2-14 seasons and one 1-15 season. 7-8-1 was the very best. All this is to say that when they finally do win dat Super Bowl I am going to be hell of unsufferable both in real life and on Internet forums. Fair warning.

3 people like this.
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Or you can be like me and tell the NFL to fuck off when the Lions are allowed to shaft the greatest broken field runner ever. Have not followed the sport since 1998 as I want nothing to do with a league like that.

1 person likes this.
  9. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

You mean the LA Rams?

10. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I've never been a football fan but if I changed my mind and decided to root for a team you can bet that I'd pick one at the top of the league.

But I would also likely abandon them as soon as their fortunes turned, so whatevs.

3 people like this.
  11. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

No, I was referring to the squad that represents Colorado State University on the gridiron of field.

12. otc

otc Senior member

I changed who I was rooting for about halfway through the game.

I honestly don't care if team A beats team B, but screw the patriots, I'd rather see Atlanta win their first one. I spent much of the game taking pictures of things to sell on ebay instead of actually watching anyways.

But then the announcers were like "nobody has ever come back from an XX point deficit in super bowl history"...and when they started to turn their fortunes around, you had better believe I was hopping on that bandwagon. I want to see some awesome history get made. If Atlanta won, it wouldn't matter how well the pats did. The story would still be "Team takes early 20+ point lead...and wins".

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

Thank you for this. Nothing can compensate for what I went through last night, but damned if you haven't provided some excellent salve for the wound.

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

You still haven't told me what exactly makes my rooting for the patriots such a crock of shit.

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Well, you are rooting for a team edina roots for.

1 person likes this.
  16. MrG

MrG Senior member

Why in the world do you care so much about this? I mean, I'm willing to get worked up over some dumb shit, so I kind of get it, but damn, dude.

As I said above, I'm not interested in arguing about your fandom, and I certainly don't have enough invested in this to spend a bunch of my time articulating something simply because you demanded it of me. If you don't think you're a bandwagon/fair weather fan, that really seems like it ought to be enough.

17. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Have you read any of his posts over the last few years? He gets worked up over everything. That's the only reason he's fun to have around these parts.

1 person likes this.
  18. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Because it's a little annoying when I get called out for no apparent reason. I then try to reason with you and HRoi and neither of you can come up with anything concrete after I explained how I came to root for the pats.

I rarely get into stupid arguments like this online because they're ultimately pointless. But damned if you think I'm just going to walk away and "accept" your bandwagon dismissal when I've presented what I think are wholly acceptable reasons for being a pats fan.

This is the third time I've asked you to clearly spell out what makes me a band wagoner and you keep skirting the issue. And look at you already positioning yourself to further dismiss anything I say by claiming I'm just too damn worked up and that you don't want to continue debating.

If you would at least say, "listen, it feels disingenuous for you to be a pats fan because you only started following football a year ago," then we'd be going somewhere.

I mean I'd still think that's shitty to say because then no one new to football can be a fan of any team until they've stuck it out for some arbitrary set of time. But at least it shows that your beliefs are grounded in some sort of objective criteria.

Honestly, it just feels like you're unable to admit you're wrong and the only reason you're calling me out is because the pats won the Super Bowl. I'm sure no one would have said anything if I said I was rooting for the cowboys or some other non-pats team.

19. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Of the many useful pieces of life advice I received from the old man the most memorable was "Boy if you can't be an athlete be an athletic supporter"

1 person likes this.
  20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Since my job here is to be a peace-making mediator and make sure everyone's feeling warm and fuzzy, I'll say that's probably where most of those comments were coming from. You may well have "legitimate" or "independent" reasons for following the Pats. But when someone who hasn't previously been a fan of a particular sport starts portraying themselves as fans as a super-successful or super-popular team (could just as easily be Golden State in basketball the last few years, or whatever) it gives rise to the perception that they may well be a bandwagon-jumper. The timing could well be a coincidence, but since the bandwagon effect is a pretty common one it's not surprising that at the very least the suspicion would arise.

Of course, that's all premised on the assumption that anyone should give a shit about why you do or don't root for a particular team, or that you should give a shit about whether/why anyone else gives a shit about whether you do or don't root for a particular team.