1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. double00

double00 Senior member

:throws horns:

but aren't you a player on the scent/fragrance thread? i'd assume that a stinky clothes detergent would completely fuck up your bouquet.

i've been riding dat scentless detergent forever and don't bother with deodorant (my daily driver is Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire)

2. otc

otc Senior member

I had a stellar performance review, and I suppose the bonus reflects that, but I received a very disappointing raise.
    I know that firm-wide billings were low last year, but I'd really expect that to be reflected in the bonus pool, not in the salary figures (especially since someone near my level just left, and another is leaving soon to go back to school).

I know I can't keep getting giant raises forever, but I recently saw some offers made to new PhDs at my title-level and they were significantly higher so I know there is headroom. Granted yes, they have a PhD and I don't, but they are receiving the same title, and I bring 6+ years of industry work experience to the table, while they often have 0 actual work experience.

Either way, I am now leaning towards for sure doing that part time MBA at Booth, and letting a headhunter try to find a competing offer to wave around (even though I am pretty happy with my job and would rather keep my work-life balance over a moderately higher salary at a competitor).

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Good thing you already have tenure. I read a study that winning a teaching award decreases the likelihood of receiving tenure.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Okay basically since the end of football season we've been hearing stories like "will he retire won't he retire what is his future of football gonna be?" Well now we finally know that Logan Mankins is retiring hopefully we can start hearing about other sports stories.

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I think you're at that point where you need to jump ship if you want to make those big base salary gains.

The risk being culture fit and work life balance, of course.

Edit: also I'd be wary of part time MBA programs. I know elitist firms and people look down upon them, esp. if the people have done the full time programs themselves.

Every single one of the Kellogg grads at my first job said that the part timers were viewed unfavorably.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  6. L'Incandescent

I haven't seen that study, but I've heard anecdata about that. Sorry if I'm saying something everybody knows, but in academia most of us have three very different jobs--teaching, research, and the committee work that keeps the gears of the university running. These are all different skills, so that being good at one is no guarantee at all that a person will be good at the others. Sometimes it happens that people who put a lot of effort into their teaching are not especially productive in research, and so that is why they'd be denied tenure. (Tenure decisions are based on performance in all three of those jobs.)

7. otc

otc Senior member

Don't have to jump ship if you can just ask them to match an offer!

Meh, I'd only do it if it were the part time program at Booth, most programs aren't worthwhile...and *many* people in my firm have them (and many people in my firm teach classes there). Seems to be either you come in with a PhD, or you get a part time MBA while working for the firm. And you don't have to put part time on your resume... Honestly, I would be doing it for knowledge, not for networking/recruiting, and Booth has a very strong quantitative program... The credential is useful when justifying billing rates to clients, but otherwise I would be happy to just pay for the half of the classes that would really help my job.

8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

[​IMG]

things that are making me happy.... I remember how much fucking money I spent to have motherfuckers install wood drawer shelfs into most of my kitchen cabinets in my house in CT.... this time I installed rev-a-shelves myself. They work even better, and things were so fucking easy to install too (took about 15-20min per cabinet), and was 300% cheaper in the end (i'm not lying :fu:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I agree with this. True, you're not going to get MBB or Goldman offers when you finish your part-time, but I did my MBA part-time because my employer paid for a big chunk, and I didn't have to forego my salary.

Now that I'm a couple years out, no one asks me if it was part-time or full-time. While if I could do it over, I may have gone full time: the part-time program worked out for me.

10. otc

otc Senior member

Also, my experience with full time students at booth when I was an undergrad was not that impressive.

So many finance bros who view it as a 2 year vacation between ibanking and their next finance job. Grades/class ranking are hidden from potential employers, so they just had to manage Cs (my roommate literally TAed an MBA class after he got the best grade when he took it, because the full time students just didn't give a shit while the undergrads in the class had to worry about their GPA). Sure, there were plenty of legit students, like former engineers transitioning to management, but way too many 25 year olds who just wanted to drink and network.

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I did full time and the above is pretty accurate :laugh:

12. otc

otc Senior member

Hey, it sounds fun I guess.

I wouldn't want to 3 years and a summer of ibanking hours before it (and many people go back to similar hours after it)...but going back to school full time while not actually having to care too much about class sounds like a blast. Way better than law school or something...

For example, the aforementioned roommate who was TAing MBA students as an undergrad finished his ibanking job and went to Wharton...where he promptly enrolled in a bunch of classes he had basically already taken while he was an undergrad. So he really didn't have to try very hard at the actual academics...had lots of time for the whiskey-tasting club though :)

Of course now it is back to work...vacation's over.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  13. L'Incandescent

I achieved a personal best in cardio fitness quest today. (That's what I call my cardio routine.) I listened to Speedball Jamm by Vinnie Vincent while I did it. On the one hand, maybe I will continue to set personal bests if I keep listening to Speedball Jamm. On the other hand, I'm quite sure I don't want to listen to Speedball Jamm every time I do cardio fitness quest. It's over an hour of him soloing.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Cardio Fitness Quest would be a good name for a video game.

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Texted STAGE to Chipolte for chance to win tix to the Chipolte Festival

[​IMG]

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Outdoor music fest + Chipotle? I hope the Guinness Book of World Records people are there to document the Porta-Potty lines.

1 person likes this.
  17. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Quickest filled porta-potty ever

18. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

waking up to the sound of roosters :)

19. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Cocks in the mornin get you goin, eh?

4 people like this.
  20. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

had a scare yesterday when my dog ran away and was lost for an hour.

its been warm + windy and he gets so spooked by the windows being open and the sounds/movements of curtains and blinds blowing around.

when I let him outside he ran to the corner of the yard and hid, then proceeded to trot away into the neighbor's yard (which is separated by a half acre of woods). I was hesitant to just run after the dog into the neighbor's yard, but also anxious because you actually have to drive almost 2miles around to get to the neighbor's street/area.

eventually after looking/calling for him for 30min. I had to drive around to the neighbors house. there are some major streets and traffic no less. I was dreading that the cause of the traffic was my dog ran over :(

when I pulled up to the neighbors yard and about to knock on the door I saw my dog trotting along a street over. I scooped him up and was happy but so drained by the experience.

my ghey dog didn't give a shit the whole time and was pissed when I put him inside the house to look for the lost dog.

1 person likes this.