1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I've not worked or lived there, and my experience is nearly 20 years old, but I did visit many times as it's not a long drive and Detroit and Chicago had some historic sports rivalries (particularly basketball in the 90s).

It's a great city. Think New York at 1/3 the price.

That's all I got.

1 person likes this.
  2. otc

otc Senior member

The winter can be hard on people (and this past winter has been heavy on the cold, although a bit light on the snow). Never been to Boston but I hear they have a lot of similarities weatherwise. I find them hard mostly because winter activities are more limited...in Minneapolis, I can go cross country skiing, downhill with a short drive, ice skate on a real pond, mountain bike, etc...here in Chicago everything is pretty flat and while it is cold, the snow doesn't stay on the ground all winter. You can ice skate on man-made rinks and bike on the lakefront, but that's about it if you like being outside. I don't really think it is that bad...but I am the type of person who is going to say "suck it up", put on an extra layer (dat uniqlo heattech), and just go for it--I'm not such a pussy that I am going to let some cold weather ruin my plans.
    The summers are warm and beautiful, and the falls make it all worth it.

Living/working here is great. Man...this is the city for it. So much cleaner than NYC, excellent restaurant situation, significantly more affordable than NYC or SF, yet still pays high wages. Lots of choices on where to live--100 year old brick walkups, dense modern highrises, and everywhere in between. Pretty good public transit as long as you live where it goes.
    Central location and two major airports mean you can pretty much fly direct anywhere you want to go pretty inexpensively.
    The lake is great and not salty. The city beaches are pretty average city beaches (crowded, trucked in sand, etc), but if you head up the coast into michigan, you get beautiful soft sand and pretty affordable summer rentals.

Good stuff going on culturally. It's not NYC (and people's clothing choices will probably make that obvious), but there are some fantastic museums, any touring act is going to stop and do a show here, lots of theaters, good restaurants, etc.

It is a city that is 100% possible to live in without a car, but is not a terrible place to drive. Driving certainly makes the winters more manageable as well. The city has traffic, and it can be hard to find street parking in some places, but it is certainly not awful.
    You would definitely want a paid parking spot at your residence though...I wouldn't buy a car without one (although I live in a pretty dense area).
    Even if I owned a car, I would probably still take the train to work...but I am currently missing my motorcycle which I would commute on once or twice a week (and could always park for free).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I had dinner with the team that is auditing me last night. I was seated next to this girl from Boston who was yammering on in similar fashion about how bad the winter's been.

She was so drop dead gorgeous that I didn't hear a word she said. Just sat there and watched her adorable mouth form words like "winter" and "icicles" and "snowplows" that I could really give a fuck about

4 people like this.
  4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Damn, sounds awesome. I visited Chicago with the fam more than a decade ago, so I don't remember much. I do remember seeing dem bull statues doe.

I think what I like the most about Chicago is what I bolded in your above post. I'm all about that COL now and while I romanticize and fantasize about NYC a lot after visiting so often, I think living there would be an entirely different scenario. I also really, really want to have a car for the next city I live in. NYC essentially rules that out.

Location-wise, Chicago being near-ish to the center of the US is ideal for my small business concept. I worry about corruption, though. Wondering if there are any drawbacks to incorporating in IL, though I assume you don't have too much first-hand experience on that front.

In any case, thanks for the great post brah. Looking at positions in Chicago currently :slayer:

BTW, do you own your current place in Chicago? The reasonable real estate prices have me tempted.

Edit: who are some of the well-known companies with a decent presence in Chicago?

5. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Chicago in the summer is pretty damn good. A lot of people drive there too so places have parking lots so that is nice. Winter is the biggest drawback. This is just what I've gathered from visiting and the couple friends I have living there.

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I bet you wish she'd audit your cawk.

7. otc

otc Senior member

I don't own...but I'm also not very pro-ownership.

What kind of companies? There are...a shit ton of companies in chicago.
    I don't think corruption is a serious concern. The state is having a bit of a budget crisis...but meh.

My biggest knock on chicago is the natural beauty. It is pretty flat and if you live in the city, it is obviously pretty urban. There are forests and such outside of the city limits (and it gets a little more hilly), but its not like living in Denver. The lake is awesome (especially if you have a boat), but that's not helpful when it is freezing outside. Whenever I visit my parents, I am jealous that my dad can hop on his bike and ride it to some pretty great mountain biking trails, while I would have to get in a car and drive to the suburbs to do it (but I guess that is true of most large cities).
    But hey...its not that big a deal if you have money to travel other places and get your fix. It is pretty common to have (or rent) summer homes, either on the beach in Michigan, or in Wisconsin around Lake Genva or in Door County...spend the weekends up there (or send the wife and kids up for longer stretches and take the train up for the weekend).

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Any of the large tech companies, financial services, anything related to mobile apps, and I guess I'll toss in startups as well.

What's the nightlife like? I'm assuming everything shuts down at 2 AM? How is the food delivery network? Good ethnic food?

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I did tell her that I had an "open kimono" policy for her.

Btw food delivery service ranks in your criteria to pick a place to live??! Wtf

1 person likes this.
  10. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I wore a floral pattern shirt today (not a Hawaiian or "Aloha" shirt you wouldn't catch me wearing that in a million years). Everyone was like "Oooh, I like yourn shirt!!!" (It is Charles Tyrwhitt so you know it's the best).

2 people like this.
  11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

if you wear it it's already the best. no need for name of charles tyrwhitt

1 person likes this.
  12. L'Incandescent

On May 5 the Boston Red Sox are going to wear their red hats with the navy brims. Those were the hats they wore from 1975-1978, and they were the best hats in the history of the team.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

visited some of my favorite oregon wineries. had a fantastic time. got to taste some 20 year old wines at eyrie vineyards made from their original vines planted in 1965. was pretty mindblowing. he also pulled out a mystery wine that tasted a bit like tropical juice that turned out to be pinot gris (also from 50 year old vines). would never have guessed

2 people like this.
  14. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Just successfully hit the major milestone on a huge work project I've been working on for the last 5 months, one that has been kicking my ass (oh hai guys, been a while).

Now, it's tini time.

3 people like this.
  15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Guise, just a random thought here -- I'm so happy that aravenel hasn't been posting lately. God, he sure sucked! Hope he never comes back!

16. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I grew up in SE Wisconsin, so I got to go down to Chicago somewhat regularly, my best friend lives there, and I used to travel there for work every couple months. I really love to visit Chicago, but I don't know if I could live there. I don't know why. I love the food, I love the atmosphere, many of my friends are there or close, but something just isn't right.

Everything otc said is true from my perspective. There are financial firms due to the mercantile exchange, lots of fortune 500 and you have companies like Motorola there so there are tech and mobile jobs. Groupon and Orbitz were founded there, and Microsoft and Google have fairly sizable offices too.

17. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Charles Tyrwhitt???:uhoh:

18. otc

otc Senior member

There are all of those things...I mean, it is the 3rd largest city in the country. It isn't as fortune 500 dense for the population as somewhere like Minneapolis, but a lot of them have non-headquarters offices here. Big tech companies operate here...Facebook and Google have offices, etc. Its no silicon valley, but there are some solid incubators with strong backing, and a lot of successful startups have grown from Chicago, so the talent is here. I know a dude who did one of those "App Academy" style courses and was getting a ton of local interviews--I think he may have ended up at reverb.com as an ios dev (people from the guitar thread will know what that is). Banks all have offices here, metric shit ton of prop-trading firms, some hedge funds big and small, all of the big consultancies are here too.

Normal bar closing is 2AM, but if you want to keep going, there are plenty of 5AM bars. Not as strong of a club scene as other big cities (or so I have heard, it's not really my jam), but otherwise you can find the right nightlife for yourself. Whether you want to go drink with douchebags, hipster doucebags, old rich douchebags, gay douchebags, underage douchebags, aging fratboy douchebags...there is a neighborhood for everything.

19. L'Incandescent

It has happened a bunch of times during February that I expected to go into my office on the weekends get a bunch of work done, but then I discovered that we were having a "weather event" aka wintry mix and so I stayed home. Looks like the same thing is going to happen this weekend. This might help me break the habit of working in the office instead of from home, which would save me a good amount of money on account of live perty far from my office.

20. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I found a good number of promising companies / job openings already. Problem is, it's probably several months too early for me to start applying. Guess it can't hurt to start networking though. Not gonna lie, spent a couple of hours on this last night and eventually found myself looking at apartments in Chicago. HOTDAMN they're so fucking cheap! Wow. The amount of apartment you get for the money is insane.

Naturally, I went to the Chicago subreddit to read more about peoples' opinions living in the city and I saw a lot of people complaining about the taxes and high cost of rent, which I found rather amusing, as I thought the low COL was one of its biggest draws. Weather was a major complaint, but given that I've withstood Boston winters for several year now, it can't be something I can't face. Traffic was another major complaint. Can't be worse than Boston traffic.. Oh yeah, crime was a big one too -- sth about hearing gunshots right outside your window and shit, lol, and how you'll most likely get mugged or have a gun pointed at your face at some point. The lack of natural scenery and mountains was another one, but I'm not a major outdoorsy nut, and I'd say Boston is probably the same in that regard, though outdoorsy stuff is probably more accessible here.

Are there any major drawbacks to living in downtown Chicago?