1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Now that I agree with. Storage space is *so* cheap--why am I being nagged about a couple of GB? Google can give it to me for free, you're telling me you can't afford the few bucks a year that it would cost you to maintain?

Email in general, but corporate email in particular, is very broken in many ways.

2. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

They are selling advertising while you view your email, and it appears they are reading your email too. That being said storage is indeed cheap.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm a nazi about deleting everything. I just trust that if there is something out there that I deleted I can ask somebody to resend it to me.

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Absolutely--but that advertising is not likely earning them more than a dozen, a couple of dozen at most, dollars per year.

I get that SAN storage isn't as cheap as buying hard drives on Newegg, and I get that most people don't have the scale or efficiency of Google, but even so--this is a business, and one that presumably has better bigger fish to fry than chasing me over a dozen dollars a year worth of storage usage.

5. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I 100% agree with you. We went through it a few years ago where I work. They ultimately vastly increased our inbox size, but they do automatic email deletion quarterly. Also, they gave us a tool to send large files, so you're not emailing a 1GB attachment around to 20 people.

6. SchwererGustav

SchwererGustav Senior member

After a few months of searching, I have finally landed a new job and start in a few weeks. New city, new start - let's rock. [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  7. otc

otc Senior member

You would think that--and I am glad that my parent company seems to agree (never cared about inbox size)--but lots of companies out there seem to clamp down on email size. Storage really is cheap, so I can't figure it out. It costs more than desktop HDDs, but it costs far less than what they might do for a huge database server. Backup requirements aren't a huge deal either. My company keeps email backups for some insane amount of time...but they still don't limit what I can have (and if you are only storing incrementals, it is not to hard to keep rolling long term backups).

Also bothers me when people have small attachment size limits. I get that something 100mb+ is a bit big to email around with today's connection speeds, but there is a lot of stuff in the 10+ range where email still makes sense. If it takes me longer to connect to an FTP than it takes to upload the document...that shit should be going via email.

Although we do have occasional whining emails about running out of storage space on a particular server...but those are expensive-assed SAS drives in fiberchannel enclosures connected to an IBM storage array...and we are talking about running out of space for large datasets, not tiny emails.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Having a lot of shit in your inbox and not caring about it is a sign that you're not marriageable material

9. otc

otc Senior member

If I'm getting married, I'd better be the only thing in their box.

1 person likes this.
  10. John75

John75 Active Member

Finally get to go away for the weekend, 3 day weekend coming up soon and planning to disconnect from phone and internet in the countryside with a big pool... and food... and drinks... can't wait!

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

ftfy

12. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Wait, do you guys delete or move emails from your inbox?

I just mark as read/unread. If its unread I need to get to it.

13. js4design

js4design Senior member

Heading out to LA with my wife for the week for a wedding and some relaxing, and my formal offer for my new job should be waiting in my mailbox when I return.

1 person likes this.
  14. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

:foo:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It might sound weird but I have to say Selena Gomez is really pretty.

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

17. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Good news gang the Philadelphia Eagles of football are thinking about changing their uniforms back to kelly green (currently wear "midnight green" color). Ain't even gonna lie I would develop a happiness aforethought if they went back to the hunter green of the early '80s, but that is not going to happen.

18. Neo_Version 7

I thought you were a RAMMERS fan bro

19. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Irregardless I like to see a good uniform on the field of play. (I don't think I've ever cheered for the Eagles even what I spent many years of my life in Penna.)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  20. Neo_Version 7

Michael Vick one of the all time greats