1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Good job brah.

1 person likes this.
  2. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Hungout with the owner of Montelobos mezcal and Ancho Reyes liqueur.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is there a new tequila push or something these days? So many people have been having tastings of it, and so many people I know are hugely into it these days. I think it is all utter shit. The only liquor I won't touch.

4. MrG

MrG Senior member

I hope there is. For those of us who drank bourbon before it became popular (and will continue to do so after its moment has passed), it would be great if another liquor would replace bourbon as the booze of the moment so prices will stop inflating.

1 person likes this.
  5. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Can't wait until drinking urine is in fashion

6. patrickBOOTH

It's called gin.

7. MrG

MrG Senior member

I don't care what liquor it is, since I'm almost certainly not going to become a regular consumer of it. I just want to stop paying the popularity premium on bourbon.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Tequila is just coming back is all. There was an agave crop crisis about a decade ago, and as it takes several years to grow an agave for harvest, the industry is just recovering from the sourcing crisis.

Don't think all tequila is shit either. Try this and get back to me: http://claseazul.com/our_tequila_reposado

9. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

The next "it" drink is byrrh FACT!

3 people like this.
  10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Urine is sterile, you can drink it.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

You should try some that aren't called don Julio or Jose Cuervo

Let's go to mayahuel someday. A lot of the good tequilas are surprisingly smooth and well balanced in alcohol

You can't have it both ways. You cant have better quality more widely available bourbon that's cheaper. The only reason why bourbon was unusually good in the past decade or so was because in the 80s demand for whiskey dropped like crazy and they couldn't sell their stuff so it just kept ageing. After awhile they had so much aged whiskey they couldn't sell so they started putting it in the basic widely available stuff which drove up quality then demand then prices.

Like the only reason pappy got so famous was because they used stitzel weller stock which got shut down in 96 cuz nobody was buying bourbon. All the great hyped distilleries (stitzel weller here brora/old clynelish and port ellen in Scotland) were shut down because there was no demand and the closing added to the mythos.

You can't have less demand and better whiskey

But don't worry in 10 years or so all the distilleries making tons of shit now will be really tasty and by then the bubble will pop and you can get good shit again for cheap

I thought this was fun/ny from tales of the cocktail

http://www.details.com/blogs/daily-...tail-the-worlds-largest-booze-convention.html

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  12. patrickBOOTH

The fact that literally everybody who likes tequila says this same thing just further proves that "tequila" is shit. There's always one tequila out there that will change your mind! Probably the one that tastes the lest like tequila. Sprits like bourbon, or gin, you can drink the bottom of the barrel to the top and they are generally pretty darn palatable. If you have to buy one, or just the very top of a liquor it says something about it.

13. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

There's still a record store a block from my office. At least one referral for a DUI once a month. Good people.

14. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

For the record, I quite like tequila, especially in the summer.

I just like whiskey and gin better.

15. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

There is a big push for "craft" agave products and rum.

You can get some aspects of terroir out of these. They have great stories as well.

At least for rum some of these islands were colonized for the sole purpose of sugar cane production.

16. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I have often wondered why there isn't more of a craft rum market. It has all the trappings to be highly marketable.

17. MrG

MrG Senior member

Rum would actually be my bet for the next big liquor. I wouldn't mind that, actually. I can't see myself becoming a rum person, but it's a sprit I could enjoy relatively frequently.

I don't want it both ways. I didn't have any complaints about the whiskey market before the bourbon explosion. Maybe you couldn't get the (often overhyped) premium stuff, but there was still some damn good bourbon out there.

I am looking forward to the coming glut, though.

18. patrickBOOTH

My balls have some great aspects of terroir too. Great stories as well. You should give them a shot.

19. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I don't really see rum happening at least for awhile. There are some very good market forces on its side. Sugar cane and molases are cheap, labor is cheap, the climate allows for a faster barrel and spirit interaction than whiskeys.

However, I haven't seen very goof marketing or a way to pitch run as a premium product. Tequila used the 100% bkur agave as a mark of quality. I'm not sure what rum can do.

20. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

10 Cane uses the pure sugar cane thing. Rum is huge in sailing but dominated by the usual suspects of Gosling's and Mount Gay.