1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I found a tailor where I live to improve the fit of some older outfits...

1 person likes this.
  2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Hey choo-chaws guess who's the class of the Arena Football League it is the LA KISS got a big victory today!

1 person likes this.
  3. MrG

MrG Senior member

I returned this afternoon from an epic visit with my best friend. He lives in Kentucky, and this was the longest we've had to hang out in at least a decade. We had a great time. We hit a few distillery tours, he showed me around town, and we did a pretty nice hike.

I also returned with a glorious list of Kentucky wares: Three bottles of bourbon (two bought, one gifted), bourbon balls, bourbon barrel ale, Ale 81, handmade soap, distillery tchotchke, and a story about how I accidentally spent $55 on a single pour of bourbon. Oh, and he presented me with a gift for my son. He handmade a rocking horse using oak reclaimed from a fence that used to surround a horse farm in Woodford County, Kentucky. My son absolutely loves it; we spent the first hour home playing cowboys.

I had been trying to make this trip for a few years now, and it seemed like every time I thought it might work the stars aligned to prevent it. It finally came together, and it couldn't have been any more awesome.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    5 people like this.
  4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

what shot of bourbon in kentucy for $55?

here a pour of hirsch 16 is $100 and pappy 23 is $75, but i would imagine it'd be downright cheap in kentucky

5. MrG

MrG Senior member

Jefferson's Ocean

I love the Jefferson's Reserve, so I'd really wanted to try the Ocean. It was truly fantastic. Pretty much exactly what I want in a bourbon. It's not an especially expensive bottle at retail (I've never seen one in the store, but what I've read says $70 is retail price). Problem is, it's apparently very, very rare. I just assumed I hadn't seen it in a store because I'm in Georgia and was unlucky, but supposedly it really is hard to find. I'm still not sure I buy that it's so rare that it warrants $55 a pour, but there wasn't much I could do once I'd finished it.

For the record, this place sells Pappy 23 at $70 a pour when they have it in stock.

That said, I didn't see any perceptible Kentucky discount on bourbon, so to speak. We went to one liquor store that had pretty great prices, but for the most part bar prices weren't good at all. In fact, I'd say there was more of a premium than a discount, since a lot of the places with a decent selection wanted to make sure you were well aware that you're drinking bourbon in bourbon country.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

interesting

i heard jeffersons ocean is more a gimmick (aged in barrels at sea) than anything special but good to hear another review

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

What no bearskin rug?

8. MrG

MrG Senior member

I don't doubt it's a gimmick, that's certainly what piqued my interest, but it was legitimately excellent bourbon. I should note that Jefferson's is probably my favorite right now (thanks SF SS!), so I was likely to enjoy it either way, but it was still good. Put it this way: I'd pay $70 at retail without a second thought. What made me flinch was the insane markup over its alleged rarity.

9. OliverGauffe

OliverGauffe Senior member

St. Paddy's Day yo! Gonna get my drink on tonight and make some extra cash tending bar and my friend's place...always cool to get some extra cash, always cool to make some people happy with beer!

10. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

Where at in Kentucky? Wait before that and more importantly --- you have Ale-8-1? Jealous. I miss that stuff. Shipping kills it for me.... unless Amazon Prime? hmmm.

I am going to assume Lexington-- given the proximity to Woodford? Did you get a chance to go out on Route 68 and see all the horse farms with the black creosote fences?

I haven't been back to Kentucky since I graduated college, in what is now ages ago. From what I can tell, things have really changed. Everything there used to be small box/mom and pop stores. Now, seems like everything is corporate, even in the smaller towns there in Central KY.

11. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I'll be pinching a lot of girls' butts who aren't wearing green :slayer:

2 people like this.
  12. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I like to wear my PJs low on my hips so's I can show off my "avs" (abdomen musculature).

13. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Had my teeth "whitened" so can't drink beer.(color) - But 3 full glasses of Sake' Later, i'm feelin' happy. [​IMG]

Happy st. patricks day America!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  14. js4design

js4design Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  15. otc

otc Senior member

I'm thinking about doing the Alaska trip harvey did. There is another one in Yakutat that sounds cool, but the airfare to get there is insane (requiring 2-3 layovers and a ton of $$$). Flying into Anchorage is much easier.

Bunch of other places still have slots, but I've always wanted to go to Alaska.

2 people like this.
  16. wojt

wojt Senior member

i bought some tomatoes week+ ago and they didn't root, amazing

17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Did you plant them? :confused:

1 person likes this.
  18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Co-Worker is going on a trip to Antarctica for her Honeymoon. Fucking nuts. It is also insanely expensive.

19. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Maybe he doesn't want to see his wife in a bikini..

4 people like this.
  20. wojt

wojt Senior member

rot [​IMG]