1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

LOL... I on the other hand usually have this in HKIA

[​IMG]

because I don't know any place in azn land that has popeyes.

2. why

why Senior member

The 'growler' in this case is slang for a bucket. People are filling bottles and jugs nowadays. I can't find a single reference of anyone using the term 'growler' to refer to anything other than a pail or bucket. I have, however, seen many uses in which it is simply called a bucket.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

All signs point to misuse by beer nerds:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/27/dining/27growl.html?_r=0

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/rushing_working_the_growler

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  3. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

In the same way I called a 1L stein a schooner at one pub in Thunder Bay, when schooner is an Australian term for a 12oz beer, because that way they grokked what I wanted, I will continue to call them growlers. Also "bottle" means a 12 oz bottle to most people. I got both a growler (now depleted) and a "Boston Round," which is an arbitrary name for a 1L refillable, which I am enjoying now. It's much the same as how I order Cerveza in Mexico, so that they knew what I want. ;)

Very thoroughly enjoying my "crap" beer that was drawn by the brewer himself. You can stick to Labatt and Coors if you think they're better. More real beer for me!

4. otc

otc Senior member

Really? A NYT article from 2010 about the growler being a "new" thing?

Franchise Chain brewpubs (like Rock Bottom) have been selling growlers to the suburban public for much longer than that....

And the bucket in my link may have been a bucket...but it was specifically named for the sound it made when being filled with beer meant to be taken home for consumption.

5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

This debate entertains me, and that is making me happy.

:popcorn:

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

no you're right that buckets for beer used to be called growlers but so did jugs/pitchers.

[​IMG]

you're not allowed to sell beer in buckets any more for pretty good reasons... so the jug form is ubiquitous today... the term growler for a vessel of beer has been around since the 1800s...

i mean you realize language changes right? growlers used to be more known for buckets and now they're more known for jugs...

7. Laurens

Laurens Senior member

Finally some inspiration again, still a work in progress do and sorry no VS models this time. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. MrG

MrG Senior member

Huh. I will say that NYT story was interesting to me for a different reason. When I was a kid, my mom had a few metal buckets with the Budweiser logo on them. I can't recall how much they held, and it's hard to eyeball their size based on a fuzzy memory, but I'd say for sure they weren't bigger than a quart. It's possible they were as small as a pint, but I'm betting quart. Either way, she said they were from when she and my dad would go see concerts in one of the parks in Atlanta. It was always Southern rock bands (I'm remembering Skynyrd in particular), which makes sense given the time and place, and they'd fill the buckets with beer for something like a quarter.

I always thought that was sort of a crazy relic from when my parents were kids, but it sounds like it was even older school than that. Funny to see some history on it after all these years.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Laurens, please do Kate Upton. I want to see how you sketch those bazoombas

10. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Today I went to the dentist, where I was subdued with nitrous oxide. Typically I have what seem to be profound insights that I later realize were not profound at all. But this time I actually had an insight that has some truth to it. I thought "If I don't change my habit of drawing out my vowels just a split second too long, no one will ever love me." That's probably overstating it a bit, but nonetheless I must needs work to shorten the length of my vowels by just a tiny bit. Life will become better when I succeed at it.

11. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

By noon today, I was approached by two different people about two different jobs. One has the potential to increase my salary by a good $20K.

This is what happens when you are a superstar.

1 person likes this.
  12. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

But would you actually have to work for that extra 20k?

13. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Yes but really only for 6 months a year. Outside of that it would be pretty quiet.

14. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Minor league contract?

15. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

16. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

1 person likes this.
  17. js4design

js4design Senior member

Yesterday would have been my old man's 62nd birthday. Like him, I'm not much for "celebrating" every event that reminds me of a loved one, but I did manage to carve out a little time at the end of a busy day to have a big, bloody steak that he would have loved.

6 people like this.
  18. why

why Senior member

Ah, thanks for that.

I realize language changes. Sometimes for the worse, which is why I think 'growler' is an abhorrent anachronism at best and overly-pervasive marketing at worst. To me it's a way for craft beer nerds to discuss whatever flavored syrup they try to one-up one another about.

I prefer my beer to come from a brewery that's been doing it since the Middle Ages rather than some guy's basement since last Christmas. Craft beer doesn't even taste like beer any more, but I guess that's a topic for a different thread.

19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

The word growler seems a rather odd thing to call abhorrent whether or not you think it's an anachronism.

Really tho when does a word stop being an anachronism and starts being a "chronism"? Considering people have been using it for several decades now

20. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

This is such a trivial thing to get worked up over. It's not like redefining "literally" or accepting mispronunciation of "nuclear." It's not an eye roll–inducing portmanteau. It's a historically-informed term with a specific, unambiguous definition: a reusable jug used for carry-out draught beer. You obviously have something against the "crap beer" industry.

3 people like this.