1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. otc

otc Senior member

The mens moguls are turning out pretty awesome.

Conditions are super tough so people keep crashing or faltering. Lots of guys did poorly in prior rounds and thus are being really forced to push hard in the final rounds so they are taking big risks.

2. js4design

js4design Senior member

I do too, I just have an immature sense of humor and the word dumb in front of everything in the store made me laugh as I read it. It is just such a childish thing to say and to take it to this level is pretty funny.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Agreed. :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Looks like they're trying to exploit what they think is a loophole in IP law. Only in LA

5. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

Stew's is meh IMO. It an whole foods compete in a completely different market segment.

I absolutely hate the damn animatronic shit in there and I generally hate the people in there. The damn kids run rampant with no supervision. And they have constructed it so that I have to go on a journey through the market fighting the hoards of people for just a few things. If I want Chuck E. Cheese show, I will go there.

The biggest problem for me is that they are not a full service mart and there is always something missing that will require me going to another market. I also find them to be hit or miss at times. For instance, their bacon was horrible. It was so fatty that it simply liquefied and caught fire. leaving a few charred pieces of bacon for consumtion. Many of their baked goods fall flat too. As to their meat, the steaks are serviceable for weeknight table fare, but I do not find many of the steaks to be for special occasions. Also had a few issues with seafood having been frozen, unfrozen then flash frozen again making things no so appetizing.

IMO, I find wholefoods butcher, fish monger (save for whole lobster, then I go to my local fish monger) and produce to generally be better (and for me more accessible). The best produce I have found is at Fairway. Anything you can think of and generally fresh. If it is something big big, then https://craftbutchery.com/ is the place to go for meat.

6. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

yeah they set it up like an IKEA where you have to snake through everything. my neighbor went on a huge rant about the place (because of tax evasion issues ect) when I first moved in so I avoided the place. but they have an orvis outlet and a good pet store in the same complex so I succumbed and went in.

I came in from living in brooklyn, where basically you had to decide week per week where you wanted to do groceries. It was just easier to drive to queens and decide to go with asian groceries one week, or then the local C-Town/AssociatedWestern Beef for another week.

I guess I'm still in the honeymoon phase of semi-suburban living where grocery stores/big box stores are nearby. back living in the city you'd basically plan a half/whole day around grocery shopping (which really sucked it you had guests coming over and needed more food).

7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

my friend from bermuda had a mini-vacation brought one of these:

[​IMG]

^its like they soaked a whole bottle of rum into a moist bunt cake.... but in a a good tasty way. I immediately started thinking what it would be like if they maybe added some weak marihuana to this.

1 person likes this.
  8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Oh man that stuff is potent. One of the admins here makes them herself, and people love it. But then they don't realize that just because it's cake, it won't make you not smell of alcohol, so they have to hide out for the rest of the day

9. zarathustra

After getting canned and shelf goods at associated that were out of date from the start, it was Whole Foods or Fresh Direct for me in the city.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against big box stores. I find grocery stores here in the Tristate Area to be poorly done. Give me a good Meijer's Publix or Kroger's any day over Stop and Rob's. Also, I am finding that CVS (which I am trying to avoid as a matter of principle since they are no longer selling cancer sticks) and Walgreens have significant inventory problems and are in need of being refurbished. Never had any issues with the drug stores in the city. Perhaps that was b/c there were four within a block.

10. zarathustra

Thanks now I am depressed of minds. I had that in Bermuda for desert...mmmmm. It went well with Dark and Stormys. There was no snow or wintry mix in Bermuda. Only sweet sweet sunshine, rum, sand and water.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Big box stores suck. I avoid them at all cost.

1 person likes this.
  12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

apparently they don't evaporate the rum/alcohol. you get that warm "just drank rum" feeling even after a fork full. kids aren't allowed to eat the samples where they make it in bermuda.

my wife naturally approved of this cake and ate 1/4 of it and started getting belligerent while watching olympic figure skating. she was annoyed at how this skater's voice didn't match her face.

^its surprisingly tasty.

1 person likes this.
  13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I approve of your wife's brand of drunk Olympics watching. I can't say that I was drunk last night, but I myself went on a belligerent posting spree ranting about the Olympics this weekend.

Btw my wife said that skater looks like the Disney cartoon Aladdin

2 people like this.
  14. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

This is a luxury we have in CNJ that a lot of the country doesn't. Long live the strip mall! I try to do as much shopping as possible at small Italian groceries.

15. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I think Target is the only big box store I frequent. It's convenient for non-food items.

16. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

99.9% odds of this getting thumbs up by MrG?

17. MrG

MrG Senior member

Well, now I'm not gonna do it purely on principle, but I will relate a Buffett-Zac Brown anecdote: Last time I saw Jimmy Buffett live, he brought Zac Brown out as a surprise guest to do that song (Zac also came back out for "A Pirate Looks at 40").

1 person likes this.
  18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I'm not sure I'd call it a "loophole". Unless you mean, like, the First Loophole in the Bill of Rights . . .

19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

So do they have a chance at beating Starbucks in court? Maybe the shop is a set up or bait for somebody with money to fight Starbucks in court.

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I'm not really an IP lawyer, but (knowing only what I gleaned from skimming one online article), but I'd guess not. They went to such lengths to visually mimic Starbucks, I could see a court deciding that there's some likelihood of confusion (at least until someone gets inside and looks at the menu.