1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for apple too. When the ipad mini first came out, I was like, well what kind of cretin would be suckered to buy that redundant POS if he already has an ipad?

Until I realized that I could hold the ipad mini in one hand, and fit it in an outerwear pocket, which was huge enough for me to switch

2. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Well, it's the "purest" expression of Android, which I like. I don't like the idea of a carrier deciding when to give me an OS release, or tinkering with the release, etc. Also, everything I saw basically said the Nexus and the Moto X are the two best Android phones out right now. Believe there is a new Galaxy coming out in March, but I didn't want to wait that long.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

I just got my student evaluations from last semester. I typically get good evals, but these were extraordinarily positive.

Also, one of my students praised my teaching as "clear of material." I wonder if they read Styleforum website?

4 people like this.
  5. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

Yeah, I do like the idea of something less bloated. There's so much useless shit that came pre-loaded on my Galaxy; it's aggravating.

There's a new Galaxy coming in 2014, but I read April. Either way, spring, and I don't really want to wait, either.

While I was looking around, I found the Sony Xperia Z, which seems to compare favorably to the Galaxy and Nexus. Might have to consider that, too. I like the waterproof-ness.

1 person likes this.
  6. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

current one is better.

7. otc

otc Well-Known Member

The nexus 5 has active notifications like the Moto X right? I quite enjoy them, both for the ease/convenience and for the battery savings.

That's probably reason enough to take it over the S4...but the pure-android thing is important. The Moto X is pretty pure...but samsung loves to put their own shit on the phones (I had a Galaxy S, but it was rooted and ran cyanogen since touchwiz sucked)

8. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

All androids suck

9. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Is that the Phillip K Dick slash fiction piece you have been working on?

1 person likes this.
  10. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I pulled off a successful Jedi mind trick today.

This guy came to see me because he wanted to take some resources reporting to me for another project. This project is super important to our bosses so he and I both know that i really don't have a choice but to give them up if he really wants them. But I don't want to give them up.

So I just sit there with my arms folded, barely saying anything, while he makes his pitch....and then he starts listing out the reasons why I might object and why i might think he'd be better served going elsewhere. I still say barely anything.

Finally he goes, "you know, I'm convinced that I shouldn't take your people and go see person X instead". I smile, agree and shake his hand, and off he goes.

These were not the droids he was looking for.

4 people like this.
  11. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Oof, dick slash fiction doesn't seem like something there'd be a large market for

12. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Well-Known Member

If there is sucking of dinosaurs by the droids, then Amazon bestseller it will be.

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

HRoi sounds like the type of boss I'd like to work for.

Someone who sticks up for his employees instead of the fucks here who only pay lip service to how much they care about us and our development.

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

He also doesn't make you swallow, which is nice.

1 person likes this.
  15. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

It has the LED notification thing, which is still an upgrade from my S2. There's also an app you can download that does something similar, but not exactly the same.

From the research I've done, it looks like the difference between the Nexus and the S4 is really splitting hairs, and no one seems to know which one is legitimately better. Also, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the stripped-down Android. Might be hard to justify spending substantially more on the S4.

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Discussions on whether other phone brands and models other than Apple is better is about as interesting as threads on whether Carmina or Crockett & Jones is better.

3 people like this.
  17. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Mushrooms mushrooms mushrooms yum yum yum yum yum yum.

1 person likes this.
  18. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Even an unrooted Samsung gives a more satisfactory individualized environment than an iPhone. I've had my 5 since they came out, and I'm not saying it doesn't get the job done and have some nice features, I'm just saying Apple wants to be very restrictive on the user experience.

19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Will you assholes shut the fuck up? See what you started Aravanel?

1 person likes this.
  20. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

I did it deliberately to annoy you.

1 person likes this.