things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:slayer:

correct. i first started listening to queen before i was 10. i probably did not even know what AIDS or gay was.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like certain Queen songs, not all of them, but as musicians they are great. As a guitarist I love Brian May for his technique, and harmonies.

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

There's actually not a single song by Queen that I enjoy. But my opinion about that is just like my opinion about Rush: it's not a judgment about the quality of their music, but just a reflection of my taste. As pB mentioned, they are very fine musicians.

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Queen was hugely popular in the '80s. Their '85 Live Aid appearance was and still is legendary. I never saw them live but they were selling out stadiums. They had the theme songs to Flash Gordon and Highlander for fuck's sake. Sure, the Wayne's World thing brought them back after Mercury had died and the band pretty much closed up, but during their time they had like a dozen #1 hit songs and albums. It is crazy to say they are more popular now. And sure, it's easy to see looking back that Mercury was full on gay but that's what rock was in the '80s. Everybody looked like that.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

5. patrickBOOTH

When they did Under Pressure with Bowie live I think I died and went to heaven. Mark Ronson was still alive there and was playing guitar. So awesome.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I can tell you there was nothing like being a drunk teenage boy singing to Princes of the Universe coming off the high of seeing Highlander. I think times actually were a bit more innocent then...which is probably bullshit given the 80s drug culture. :laugh: Nostalgia makes all things look beautiful.

7. patrickBOOTH

What I would give to be in investment banker in 1980's NYC. The juxtaposition between the rich, poor and the glitter and grime. It is an artist's heaven. I would just rather live it out at the top rather than the bottom, of course.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  8. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Dancing is stoopid, and gay

9. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Queen is more familiar in Japan than the Stones, but that doesn't mean much because so are The Carpenters.

10. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Yes that moustache was totally not at all a dead give away.

11. patrickBOOTH

Haven't had much happiness in here, but I guess a plus is I am making some progress on my GMAT studies. A few weeks ago I thought it was a lost cause, but slowly and surely I think I will be ok. Need more studying though.

12. otc

otc Senior member

Is that kaya scodelario?

No music documentary is complete without a clip of Dave Grohl commenting on something with a dad-haircut.

13. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I often get phone calls from the lady at my bank who just wants to check in and see if I'm doing well if I don't stop in for regular deposits. I assume she's capable of reading my statements and realizing I'm broke as shit, so I've decided to pretend she calls me because she finds me well dressed and must assume I'm more important to her managing portfolio than my modest interest in wealth accumulation would lead anyone to believe. But credit to her, she calls me by name whenever I walk in the door and I'm always a bit flattered.

14. patrickBOOTH

I am actually really irritated by the over friendliness, and somewhat intrusive nature of commercial bank representatives. Also, I can't even make a deposit without being solicited to open more accounts, take out loans, and open lines of credit. Commercial banks are such scams.

15. why

why Senior member

Even ignoring the fact that my post was mostly snark, where did I ever say such a thing?

Are you just joking or do you actually think what you wrote is in any way logical?