things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. randallr

randallr Senior member

[​IMG] I must be doubly stupid, because I'm happy to be doing it.

Better man than I. Honestly, I'd be unhappy because I would feel like the effort I'm putting forth isn't valued and my time is meaningless. Everyone that's working should have some entitlement to some portion of the profit IMO. Cooking may be different in the fact that they are basically teaching you about your craft. In the fields I work in they pretty much train you and you perform the tasks you have been trained. Besides from the skills I developed on my own such as presenting there isn't really a whole lot that I can take to another job. It's very task specific and only other Big Pharma firms would really NEED those skills.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

It was, I was basically temping for a position they would have had to pay someone for. I gained from pretty invaluable experiences this summer...had to present on an audit remediation I have been working on for the summer in front of the entire department for 30 minutes(approx 30 people).
    Wow, that's really cool work for an intern.
    Better man than I. Honestly, I'd be unhappy because I would feel like the effort I'm putting forth isn't valued and my time is meaningless. Everyone that's working should have some entitlement to some portion of the profit IMO. Cooking may be different in the fact that they are basically teaching you about your craft. In the fields I work in they pretty much train you and you perform the tasks you have been trained. Besides from the skills I developed on my own such as presenting there isn't really a whole lot that I can take to another job. It's very task specific and only other Big Pharma firms would really NEED those skills.

I think partially you're right, in that I feel like my time isn't valued, but at the same time, as a person coming out of culinary school (and most restaurants know that this is a requirement for our degrees), we don't really have anything TO add to a restaurant that is really valuable. To be honest, I feel totally confident that I can go in there and cut carrots like the studliest guy in the kitchen. But big deal--- am I really adding value to the restaurant by doing that? Maybe a tiny, tiny bit, but in all honesty, I'm gaining more from working at the restaurant than they will be gaining from having me work there. So I will gladly accept being allowed to put their name on my resume as some small form of "payment." Plus, since this really is still a part of my education, it's different. I'm still under student loans, etc, etc, so I want to take advantage of the opportunity before I have all my bills and no income.
    Another part is that it's just the culture of top-end restaurants. If I were to only apply to or accept internships that would pay me, I would be choosing from a very small field, and would most likely work at a restaurant that would pay me a decent wage but not do much for my future. I'm lucky to be in the position that I can afford to look at the long haul rather than needing an immediate paycheck. I'm glad to forego 3 months of getting $10 an hour at a decent restaurant in exchange for the chance to work at a top restaurant and potentially really jumpstart my career, which is, IMO, the point of any internship.
    But different strokes I suppose. I understand where you're coming from and I also understand why some of my friends had to find paying internships to cover expenses and things like that.

3. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

I made a phone call and got out of having to drive for an hour to a meeting where its over 100 degrees. As I was making that call a friend texted with a great idea to get sushi for lunch. Sushi > hour drive in 100 degree weather for meeting.

4. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Grilled fresh sardines for lunch.

5. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Today is the last day of my internship at a fiduciary services company (mainly we do trust and estate administration). I was under the impression that the position was unpaid, but today the boss-man called me into his office and handed me a 3k going away present! Deferred gratification FTW!

6. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Week is over.

7. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

Week is over.

+ Infinite

8. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Flights to Dubai look relatively open so I have somewhat of a shot of finally getting over there next week. Hopefully this will go better than my Kuwait trip.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Two weeks from tomorrow, I move to California
    Three weeks from tomorrow I start my job.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

in London, had some grilled chicken and a beer and things are looking better now.

11. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Saw a friend I hadn't seen in about a year today. Good to see them again.

12. connor

connor Senior member

Two weeks from tomorrow, I move to California
    Three weeks from tomorrow I start my job.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

woowoo! what part of Cali?

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

yesterday I biked up a 1200 feet mountain trail, my most difficult ascend ever and I didn't pass out... this biking thing is finally paying off.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Flights to Dubai look relatively open so I have somewhat of a shot of finally getting over there next week. Hopefully this will go better than my Kuwait trip.
    Good luck, I hope it works out that you can go.

15. unjung

unjung Senior member

Got a great Michael Kors linen sportcoat for $120.