things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I've been asked if I might be interested to change to a different department internally... I feel absolutely not responsible enough and even less qualified... but it's like winning the lottery. I'd travel the world, meet interesting people, would do much more interesting work and perhaps would even get paid more.

How dumb would I be to decline in todays economic situation?

Sounds like a good thing... Congrats?

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Well, I'm moving on Friday. That doesn't necessarily make me happy, but having been in Chicago for a year does. It was awesome. Two more weeks of commuting and then I'm out to California. It was really cool to have my own place, paid for with my own money, no help from mommy and daddy. Yeah, it was tiny, and yeah it had problems, but it was all mine and nobody else could say that.
    Off to a restaurant in CA? Which city? All the best to you....

3. romafan

romafan Senior member

Well, I'm moving on Friday. That doesn't necessarily make me happy, but having been in Chicago for a year does. It was awesome. Two more weeks of commuting and then I'm out to California. It was really cool to have my own place, paid for with my own money, no help from mommy and daddy. Yeah, it was tiny, and yeah it had problems, but it was all mine and nobody else could say that.

Isn't Wilson Brother out there? [​IMG] Maybe roomies?

4. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Yeah, it was tiny, and yeah it had problems, but it was all mine and nobody else could say that.
    But you were renting it [​IMG]

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

That has to be pretty damn exciting. Good on you, having done what you've accomplished, and doing something you really love. Just wish time and money was there to go visit you during your extern.

6. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Isn't [​IMG] Wilson Brother [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out there? [​IMG] [​IMG] Maybe roomies? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

FTFY

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Cheers, Kyle. I haven't been following your saga that closely--are you off to CA?

I finally got reservations at Jose Andres' Minibar in DC. The whole thing was making me feel a little American Psycho.

Yessir! Off to California on August 17th, should get there Aug 20th, get all moved in, start work Aug 24th.
    I've heard that's a hectic reservation to get. I have no doubt it'll be worth the trouble!
    Off to a restaurant in CA? Which city? All the best to you....
    Healdsburg, CA. Nice little (very little) town in Sonoma County. Thanks!
    Isn't Wilson Brother out there? [​IMG] Maybe roomies?
    Maybe roomies... even maybe'r soulmates.
    But you were renting it [​IMG]
    Yeah, okay so the landlord could say that. Big whoop.
    That has to be pretty damn exciting. Good on you, having done what you've accomplished, and doing something you really love. Just wish time and money was there to go visit you during your extern.

Thanks sir. With any luck, and a lot of hard work, it's slightly possible that I could be staying out there past November. That's my goal, at least.

8. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

good luck kyle!

9. randallr

randallr Senior member

Kyle, do they pay you? Good luck--I'm almost done here.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

good luck kyle!
    Thanks dude.
    Kyle, do they pay you? Good luck--I'm almost done here.

Thanks. They aren't paying me. A lot of my friends got paid internships, but this was too good of a chance to pass up for a difference of only a couple grand in student loans. My chef knows that once November hits, I need to get paid if he wants me to stay, and he said that they have no problems hiring interns who present themselves as worthy employees, so I'm hoping I can get to that level. Was yours paid?

11. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

of course it was, what retard works for free. [​IMG]

Thanks dude.

Thanks. They aren't paying me. A lot of my friends got paid internships, but this was too good of a chance to pass up for a difference of only a couple grand in student loans. My chef knows that once November hits, I need to get paid if he wants me to stay, and he said that they have no problems hiring interns who present themselves as worthy employees, so I'm hoping I can get to that level. Was yours paid?

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

[​IMG] I must be doubly stupid, because I'm happy to be doing it.

13. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Most white people!

14. randallr

randallr Senior member

Thanks dude.

It was, I was basically temping for a position they would have had to pay someone for. I gained from pretty invaluable experiences this summer...had to present on an audit remediation I have been working on for the summer in front of the entire department for 30 minutes(approx 30 people).

15. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

This thread bores me. I prefer the one where people are pissed off.