1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

Hipster.

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

such a hipster. so hipstery in fact, that i even hate myself.

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

You are Jewish so that's a given

1 person likes this.
  4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Everyone in my whole academic unit has a good healthy head of hair except for me (suffer from the MPB male pattern baldness). There is no way that is a coincidence; the department has obviously made hiring decisions with an eye toward "taking me down a peg teaching me a lesson I won't forget."

Well I finally filed a grievance about this today on the basis of "workplace environment." I'll keep you updated.

1 person likes this.
  5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Global Entry for the win. TSA Pre-check is nice when it works. The real problem is that it's implemented differently, if at all, at different airports. And, of course, you're counting on the TSA to administer it sensibly.

Lionel Richie, like that?

Yo, dog: you might like The Dirtbombs. You know the Black Keys are a couple of whiteys, right?

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

L'inc, as your attorney I advise against this. MPB is not a protected class. Unless there is a clause protecting baldies in your employment contract you are Es Oh El (Shit outta luck).

1 person likes this.
  7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You clearly have spent too much time as a criminal lawyer and not enough time thinking like a creative plaintiffs' lawyer. MPB is clearly a gender-specific condition, as well as a disability requiring accommodation to offset entrenched hirsute privilege.

1 person likes this.
  8. L'Incandescent

Well even if I don't have a strong quote unquote legal claim, my grievance will still be helpful for CR (consciousness raising.) Also it will send the message that I won't just passively "take my medicine" (lumps), but will fight back.

1 person likes this.
  9. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

For the record, I probably wouldn't be heard arguing about their suitability for the RnR HoF, mostly because I think the RnR HoF is kinda (read: very) dumb.

Your second paragraph makes perfect sense to me, and I think we all agree that this has gotten pretty repetitive, so I'll just bow out with a :slayer:.

10. in stitches

yes indeed. :happy:

ill check it out! of course i know that. i love whitey music. :D

11. L'Incandescent

A couple of years ago in class, I mentioned (as part of the context of some example) that my ancestry was German. A student immediately raised her hand and cried out "You are German? I thought you was white!"

2 people like this.
  12. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

You might be right. I did not do well in Critical Legal Theory in law school.

When you fight the system you are either beaten down and destroyed or you are just successful enough to be.co-opted and seduced to become part of that very system. You may not be the bald man we deserve, but you may be the bald man we need.

13. zarathustra

I really can't find a good band to get into anymore. My tastes have morphed such, that it is hard to find that exact right sound. Nothing seems to click like the few guys I knew and followed before. I suppose I got spoiled being able to got to five or so great shows a year and a few smaller more intimate settings and just then hanging with the guys over some beers. Doesn't help that I now live in the burbs and not the city. #firstworldprobs

That is much better than what I thought may be coming as I read this.

1 person likes this.
  14. in stitches

99% of the music i listen to is extra whitey classic rock. and i am more than happy with that. never lets me down. always rocks.

1 person likes this.
  15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I'm pretty much always in the TSA pre-check group these days. I wrote about this before - I still don't know what makes you eligible, but I am a frequent traveler, and also not a terrorist.

the annoying thing is that many airports close the precheck line early in the morning or late at night, so it's useless about 25% of the time for me. although on the red-eye out of PHX they gave me a card entitling me not to take off my shoes. I suppose it's something

(btw, I am complaining on here because my wife told me to gtfo with my first world problems)

16. zarathustra

I grew up on "classic rock" and have developed a disdain for all radio channels playing classic rock. Its the same songs over and over and over. It finally pushed me over the edge. Now, the only time I listen is when I want to listen to the whole album or something pops up when I have my Ipod on random.

17. zarathustra

Interesting. Terrorists always claim they are not a terrorist...... just saying.

18. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I don't know what qualifies you to become part of the TSA pre-check group, but at Boston Logan, all security lines for American flights are pre-check.

You don't have to take off your shoes, belt, or take out your laptop (my favorite part, since I carry two).

19. in stitches

its that scary SWD grungy look that must set off the red flags.

yes, classic rock stations usually suck. the same "hits" over and over. i only listen to full albums, either on my laptop or on in by ballin honda accord on my 6 disc changer. :slayer:

20. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

Today is a such a great day. Seriously. Just heard back from the program director, and the two I's I had will soon both be A's. I was quite worried as the prof. is currently somewhere in Russia, and contact has been a bit spotty. Looks like I will graduate with honors after all.

2 people like this.