1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Bonuses don't exist in my line of work. :(

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

you dont give them to your superiors?

1 person likes this.
  3. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

They make him dance and sing "Proud Mary."

2 people like this.
  4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Lol, wut.

Out of anyone here you should know irony when you see it.

[​IMG]

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

It pains me to this very day that I have never seen that video.

1 person likes this.
  6. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I did recognize the irony. I would not have compared you to Diana Ross if I meant to make a serious point. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I had a chat with president of the board and he came to the conclusion that my bonus will be some cake and his will be some treats preferably duck flavoured, a new coat, a new leash and also back rubs.

I also have to work on my stress level, he wasn't pleased about that either.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

How will you punish Acidkid #2?

4 people like this.
  9. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

Well, they do, but they're likely to land the recipient in prison.

10. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

last time I got a bonus it was a weekend in bangkok

I was made for lovin you baby you were made for lovin me, and I can't get enough of you baby can you get enough of me.

klf was great! they were justified and ancient and were bound for mu mu land. and they called up tammy wynette in tennessee and told her, 'tammy, stand by the jam!'

extra 2 hours in violin lessons this month. I'm in a pretty good mood lately.

12. L'Incandescent

Holy crap are you KLF_Gonna_Rock_Ya? Who else would know such facts about KLF?

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

as you have your own group of KISS fans (KISS army) we who admire the contributions of KLF to modern culture and music have our own group (the people who used to listen to KLF and thought it was at the least marginally better than other 'acid house' hip-hop inspired, sample-heavy songs of that genre during the late 80s to early 90s even if we think singing about "mu mu land" is kinda weird but the beat of "3am eternal" makes up for it)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  14. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I heard somethng that distinctly resembled a great fart which filled me with joy because I wanted to laugh. Then I saw someone was ripping a sheet out of notebook and was then filled with sorrow. Then I realized there would be no malodorous side effect and was happy again.

15. MrG

MrG Senior member

:nodding:

That song randomly gets stuck in my head, and I have no idea why. It's weird that any Kiss song would get stuck in my head, as I can think of exactly three Kiss songs I know offhand (the number is low on account of the fact that they're not very good at music), but that ridiculous song is one of them.

16. L'Incandescent

^^ Styleforum website was designed to be a haven for truthspeakers you shouldn't come onto the forum and spread falsehoods like that. There is lots and lots of good KISS music no two ways about it.

17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

KISS is to L'Incandescent as Blink 182 is to patrickBOOTH

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    2 people like this.
  18. MrG

MrG Senior member

I chose my words carefully, as I did not wish to spread a falsehood. There may be positive things to say about the band Kiss, but they are not particularly adept musicians.

:teach:

1 person likes this.
  19. L'Incandescent

Everybody says that, but I just don't think it's true. I mean of course they are not the Mahavishnu Orchestra, but relative to their own genre and period they are not bad. Especially on the early records, Gene Simmons' bass parts are usually interesting to listen to, for example; they're not just plugging away with eighth notes. Ace Frehley is not the most talented guitarist in the world, but he nonetheless wrote some really great solos. ("Shock Me" is a great example, but also "Calling Dr. Love," "Love 'Em and Leave 'Em," "Rocket Ride.")

I just think people hold KISS to a standard of musicianship that they don't hold comparable bands to, and I think that's because they were so good visually. That is, I think they're regarded as "not serious musicians" because they put on a great show.

20. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

This is not true. You can fault their songwriting if you wish but they are good musicians and excellent performers.

+1. Their early stuff was just fucking good rock and roll. There's honestly no other way you can spin it, and I don't say that as purely a fan. When you get to some of their later stuff like "Revenge" ok but even then, there are some great tracks there. "Domino" is pretty good, "God Gave Rock and Roll to You II" is a great anthem is a celebration of rock ethos, and there may be no better example of a rock ballad than "Everytime I Look at You" (there are better ballads but just to be able to point to one example, you couldn't do better). And that's from a "weak" album.

When you listen to their music over time, you realize that few bands have been able to adapt so well and so easily to the tastes of so many different eras while remaining a distinctly unique band. Sure they were playing pop music so it wouldn't have the same perceived depth as other artists but hell, that's exactly what they were going for.

Also, "Music from 'The Elder'" is awesome for its total pretentiousness and stupidity. One of those so bad its actually good moments. It honestly wouldn't be that badly good were it from any other band.