things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

How old were you guys when you took the GMAT and how old will you guys be when you take the GMAT? I don't plan on going to get my MBA until I've had at least 4-5 years of work experience under my belt, but the average age seems to be trending down.. I'm envisioning myself going when I'm like.. I dunno.. 27? But that seems old by today's standards..

My superiors said that if you're White or Asian, you need at LEAST a 700 to be competitive for the top 8 schools and ideally a 750 to safely be considered a top candidate (assuming your interviews, essays, work experience, leadership etc. are all good as well). Anything over a 750 and the marginal advantage diminishes greatly, apparently.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

27 is about the average age at a lot of schools at the top. GMAT scores are good for 5 years, and if you're thinking about it, I'd honestly just get it over with.

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

you are not feeling it? the sentence structures. internets. maybe they are to blame.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Good point.. fuck I really, really, really hate studying for standardized tests.. and if I do end up doing what I want to do, I'll have to take the CFA as well!!

:brick:

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I was 32 and not really under any pressure to get into a top school. If I knew then what I know now, though...

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I was in my early 30s.

I killed the verbal portion, 98th or 99th percentile. I knew going in that well over 50% of the folks writing GMATs have quant backgrounds, particularly engineers, so figured my best play was going to be to nail the verbal. It worked.

I consider taking the LSAT just so I've written three of the big four standarized. If anyone is worried about the GRE, don't. It's five times easier than the GMAT. The GRE is clearly written for a much less rigorous sample pool.

7. ama

ama Senior member

I've done GRE, LSAT and studied for GMAT. The GRE is a joke compared to the other two. I'm not even sure its more difficult than a SAT/ACT.

The LSAT and GMAT are both hard, but in different ways. I still might take the GMAT, but for now I'm happy with the lawyerly work I do most days.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am 27 going on 5 years out of college and have been fully employeed, but yes I do feel behind. So many people my age and younger have their MBA. To me it is because of the lack of work in this economy. Many people stayed in school after undergrad. All of my professors encouraged us to work before getting the MBA, which makes sense because you have real world experience to guide you and your coursework as well as an understanding, or at least experience managing, or being managed and what managing a business entails.

Also the company is paying for it (minus taxes, of course) so that is in my favor.

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

if you look at the profiles of a few b-schools (top-10 anyways), the number of students with less than one year of work experience is extremely low, often times less than 1%. Its when you get to the middle-tiers that you see a lot more students just continuing their education with an MBA.

10. Piobaire

The program I went to was not Top Ten. It was in the top 30 at the time but has fallen several rankings (amazing what losing a popular Dean and a Nobel laureate can do to rankings). Even there only a handful of people were folks with no material work experience. They were younger than average and more quant oriented than average. Tended to do very poorly in any case study or group assignment that required non-quant thinking.

Also, never came out to party.

11. ama

ama Senior member

When my brother was at Northwestern for undergrad he worked at Kellogg in the admissions department. Over the two years that he was there he said that he thought he saw maybe three or four people admitted straight out of undergrad, and it was almost with out exception because they were already successful entrepreneurs.

12. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

So, drug dealers?

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't personally understand why a quant would want an MBA. Why not get a phd in math or physics?

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

maybe they want to be traders

15. Piobaire

No idea. One of the guys in my cohort that became part of my usual group had his MS in math from Northwestern. Really smart guy.