1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. indesertum

indesertum Stylish Dinosaur

good beans dont have expiration dates because they last forever. they have roasting dates because after a certain time there are changes in volatile gases and oils that does change the flavor of the beans. all you really have to do is buy a bag of good coffee beans and grind them and brew some coffee everyday. i promise you will notice changes after a certain point.

interesting. cary grants thread i felt was like the least foodie type thread because of the knowledge in it. he also doesnt write tripe reviews, but just photos and answers questions if you have any. and he posts a lot of no frills stuff like quality parmiggiano reggiano as well

also i'm not talking about confectioneries, but chocolate bars. italian companies like amadei and domori make some of the best chocolate. us companies like amano and patric also regularly win shows and a lot of places that traditionally just exported beans are starting to make really outstanding bars as well. if you ever read reviews you'll notice swiss is not really on the radar and belgium artisanal bars are just barely starting

the best chocolate maker in france is probably cluizel and i prefer most of the bars from the companies i listed over most of his bars

man if i were in italy i would go visit the amadei or domori factory on a weekend off

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012

2. Lady Canuker

Lady Canuker Distinguished Member

I've yet to meet a man who doesn't do microwave, and if you can do microwave you can make these caramels lol

3. Laurens

Laurens Senior Member

I was just quoting every good coffee roaster. Never wondered what these valves are for?

[​IMG]

4. rennavate

rennavate Distinguished Member

• Only a week left of work until I'm on holidays for the rest of the year, beginning next Friday
    • Starting some projects at work that I'm legitimately excited about
    • I've started seeing this super rad girl

The past few weeks has been none too shabby.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:slayer: that is an awesome feeling!!

orly?

truth

i can do it!

6. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

IP is what I currently have the most experience in. Not sure if I want to stick with it. Art law interests me quite a bit, but I don't know that it is a very lucrative field.

7. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Stylish Dinosaur

My understanding is it's a very small field but is very lucrative if you have the connections. Good luck.

8. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Thanks! I actually might...

9. why

why Distinguished Member

They have the same expiration dates as the pre-ground stuff. I just checked to confirm my suspicions. Also, there is nothing preventing 'good beans' from lasting forever, no matter how 'good' they might be.

That's precisely the thing I was talking about before, though. I don't care what Food and Wine or anyone else says is the best. And frankly, the attitude of 'this is the world's best' or 'that is the world's best' is all pretty silly. It's not a coincidence that English-speakers regard one producer as the best and speakers of some other language might regard another as the best (what, do English-speakers all have different taste sensations or something?) -- it's simply a matter of communication and dissemination of information. One magazine writes a review, others jump on board, and soon there's a fad for everyone to do this or that or some other thing according to what some no-name nincompoop declared. What's the point of having a tongue to taste if the only things you're going to use are your eyes and ears?

That same attitude is what caused the now-fully-perverted microbrew craze in America. At some point, beer stopped being beer at all and brewers started chasing some ideal microbrew that tasted more like it was made from molasses than barley. The same occurs in the restaurant industry -- sous vide, foams, and other equally overwrought nonsense (sous vide: when Ziplock meets Eastern Europe). And bozos blogging about bacon, or why I might see the same damn 'artisanal' foods at two restaurants separated thousands of miles.

If you like microbrews because of some characteristic they have, cool, have fun. I generally don't. As long as you like it because of some intrinsic quality and not because you feel a need to fall in line with food critics then there's something to discuss.

10. ethanm

ethanm Stylish Dinosaur

Let's shift the focus to another beverage.

I have 4 gallons of apple pie 'shine cooling on the stove. Tis the season!

11. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Stylish Dinosaur

Oh hells yes.

12. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

Funny this comes up. I was catching up with a cousin I hadn't seen in like, forever, and he mentioned the Texas Monthly Top BBQ issue. They do this every 5 years or so, I think. Remarkably, the perennial top 5 share one thing in common: You can't easily buy from them. They might be in small towns (Luling, for Heaven's Sake!) or only do up small batches, or operate out of a trailer that's smaller than the smoking pit, - or all of the above (Franklin's I'm looking at you). They all run out early on Saturday, and once they're out, you have to wait for next week.

Now, they might indeed be superior, but it's not off the table that they're making these outlandish judgments because they know their usual reader will never be in a position to directly compare the reviewers' assertions. For instance, If I want brisket from Smitty's I have to leave the house at about 4 a.m. and then bring lots of coffee because I'll be in line for hours. And, of course, once you've invested that kind of time, you're not going to dislike it and therefore admit to having undertaken a fool's errand. Such as it is with beers and the like.

I was similarly tempted to get that belgian monk beer that they're releasing this one time ($84 for a six-pack, plus glasses) but just can't bring myself to do it, precisely for this reason.

:slayer:

13. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

Clive Christian No. 1 is the greatest perfume of all time.

14. Laurens

Laurens Senior Member

My artisan bagel joint just hired a new Barista, she is like a blonde Miranda Kerr.
    Just when I decided to come less frequent...

[​IMG]

15. MrG

MrG Stylish Dinosaur

A few months ago, when I went to the dentist, they found a bunch of bad spots in my gums when they did the little pokey thing. I asked how they fix this, and the dentist basically said, "well, first we'll make sure you're meticulous about home care, and we'll bring you back in three months, instead of six, to do a checkup and cleaning. If that doesn't work, we'll do a procedure to help fix the problem." The procedure didn't exactly sound comfortable, so I asked if it was likely that taking perfect care of my teeth would fix it, and both the hygienist and the dentist told me it was possible but not likely I'd get better without the Roto-Rooter treatment.

Well, I had the three-month checkup/cleaning today, and everything looks great! No problems, and my gums are completely healthy. No Roto-Rootering for me!

:drool: