1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am talking making that annually, not that lump sum, you dope. What am I Gandhi?

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

well, i had a garmin forever, until my wife decided that she would try and break as many of them as possible, in as short a time as possible. and i used to check google maps the night before a trip and their directions were always suckier.

then my wife, whom i love dearly, and certainly by no fault of her own, broke a million garmins, so i gave up with it and started using my phone.

then a few months ago we went away for a day, on a longer drive than usual da to day stuff, and borrowed a garmin because i remembered it being more expedient. the time it was giving seemed longer than i had expected, so i put the address in my phone and it had me clocked at an arrival time of 30 minutes earlier.

i kept them both on the whole trip to see if they would just converge to the same directions and timing, but they did not. the directions on the garmin were a totally different set of roads, and it would have taken 30 minutes longer via that route. and yes, i checked all the settings to make sure no stupid avoidances were turned on.

now, i guess it could have been just that particular destination, but i would imagine that unlikely.

my conclusion is that it would be best to have both and set them before leaving and then choose the optimal route.

not douchey at all.

3. in stitches

yes, but i have had a few times where my garmin could not/would not pick up the signal. either way, i think having both is best. just to be safe and stuff.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I moved away from boston before all the major highway changes/big dig/ect.... hell even providence had a bunch of highway changes so using a GPS is helpful even in my old home town. :laugh:

getting lost in NYC - where GPS signals will conk out because of the skyscrapers isn't that bad, because NYC is just a huge simple grid system of streets. But the older cities like Philly and Boston the streets just dont go straight (sometimes they loop right back to where you were in the first place).

this happened when I was driving around the Red Rock Park area in arizona, there are weird pockets (probably only miles wide) that you'll get dropped phone signals.

also driving around in rural canada and mexico... where google maps isn't accurate, but for some reason garmin/tomtom seem to know even the small dirt roads that don't have signs in the area.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I was just kidding guise (successfully-trolled). I don't have $600K saved up.

I wish I did, though.

6. otc

otc Senior member

All of these problems of losing GPS signal and then getting lost could be avoided if you just looked at a map beforehand
    ...you know...like people have done for centuries

I'm not saying the turn by turn stuff isn't handy but people seem to have forgotten how maps work in the span of 10 years.

7. in stitches

not poorz ar all.

cool beanz, grampa. could you teach me how to get home using the north star, too? :)

8. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Oh fuck....

Calculators
    Computers
    Etc

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

you could apply that logic to Alter and his wife's family planning method... and he wouldn't be having a new wonderful baby soon. do you not want alter's baby to exist?

the one place where i love to buy and use maps is for my favorite parks and hikes that I've done. It makes me feel manly to break out a map on a trail and point to my wife and say: Yup the map say's we should follow the trees with the blue markers nailed to them! :p

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I realize I'm a rapidly aging Luddite, but am I really the only one left who just looks at a map (Google or otherwise) before driving to an unfamiliar place, and writes down directions if it's complicated?

Oh, I see otc uses the cranky old guy method, too.

1 person likes this.
  11. otc

otc Senior member

Your calculator doesn't stop working in the middle of your math problem because it can't talk to the magic thing in the sky .

I use my GPS maps on the phone all the time...I'm not saying you have to pull out a paper map, locate yourself, and plot out a route...but I usually take a look beforehand.

That way if your shit stops working in the middle of the desert, you ain't gonna die (and for reals, how many turns are there in a desolate place with no service? just remember that you have to turn on street X in 23 miles).

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

have you not seen the blair witch project? they had a map and planned everything, but that shit still went awry...

13. otc

otc Senior member

I also use bicycles, motorcycles, and public transit for a lot of my travels.

You don't get to throw your phone in your lap and go turn by turn on these...and you're going to look like an idiot with no short term memory if you are checking your googlemap on every corner on your bike or while walking to/from/between buses and trains.

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I don't really have much to lose on this front, so it's all good.

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

oh HAi!

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

GEEZER! Before you leave the house upload the address to your in-dash GPS via your smartphone app.

17. otc

otc Senior member

Eh...if you actually use your bike to go places (rather than just ride), you are either going to have to take the garmin off at every stop or get it stolen.

Sure, you can get an iphone mount for your handlebars, but *every* one of those guys looks like a tool.

18. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

We took a wrong turn in the desert and ended up in Saudi once. Speaking of which, even the military has ditched the whole "don't rely on technology" line. The right answer is simply carry more batteries (and bullets and demo).

19. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Was it the left turn at Albuquerque that got you into trouble?

A number of folks have died in Death Valley NP from relying on Google Maps. Usually their car winds up getting stuck, or they run out of gas.

20. Alter

Alter Senior member

That comparison doesn't work, I have been to that same location thousands of times.

3 people like this.