1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Not as good as frozen custard?

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I am in love with someone. They know. When I told them, they vanished for 9 months... 2 months ago they re-appeared into my life. There is a 99.99% chance that we will never be together romantically (in a conventional sense) ....and yet, to my astonishment, they are not afraid of my feelings toward them and our friendship continues now at a much more meaningful and spiritual level for both of us. Platonic love is a very difficult concept for many, and it requires incredible discipline, but it offers its own rewards. This is what is making me happy. Loving someone without sex. To their credit, they are also allowing this friendship to grow.

2 people like this.
  3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

:confused:

+++++

making me happy... acidkids report cards came in, and being that I am in charge of their homework and making sure the money I pour into their private school is doing some good, I am happy that acidkid no.1 is still among the top of her class, and acidkid no.2 who just started school, has also gotten mostly a's. high expectations azn dad is proud.

4 people like this.
  4. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

:fistbump:

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

fantastic news, acid. i imagine the stress of being an azn tiger dad is almost unbearable.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

The only emperor is the one of the ice cream.

1 person likes this.
  7. MrG

MrG Senior member

Damn, Piob, you go prepared!

Funny, I was just reading an article yesterday about wilderness survival, and it said that lost day hikers are the most common survival/lost-in-the-wilderness scenario.

Most of my hikes are, like aravenel's, in pretty highly-traveled areas, so I'm not that well stocked. That said, I'm hoping to start venturing out more into less-populated hiking areas, and I'll definitely need to step up my hiking prep when I do.

I think the next outdoorsy purchase for me will be a good knife for my PFD. I carry a pocketknife just about everywhere, but it's just too hard to access quickly when I'm on the water. Plus, I have a tendency to store it in the pocket of my kayak skirt, rather than on my body, which will be a big problem if I'm separated from the boat. I need something that will stay with me that I can grab and have ready to use with one hand. I'm eyeing one already, but I think I'm going to wait a bit. The missus has been very understanding re: a number of outdoorsy buys I've made recently, and I don't want to push my luck.

After that, I want a nice drop/water/dust-proof point-and-shoot camera.

GoPro, bro!

8. MrG

MrG Senior member

Actually, I just realized that my next outdoorsy purchase will actually be sleeping bags for the family, since we gave ours to Goodwill when we moved.

Then it will be the knife and camera... :laugh:

1 person likes this.
  9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

For a camera we just bring along our Canon S 95. Damn that is a great little camera. Have it in a padded case that goes inside a pocket.

10. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I just got some new LL Bean hiking boots. Well, mommy bought them, because I used the "Think of it as an early Xmas present" line. :laugh:

11. MrG

MrG Senior member

That is a nice camera.

My problem isn't so much hiking; it's being on the water. I have a dry bag that has never failed, but I'm still not confident enough in it to put anything electronic in there that would be ruined by water. Right now the only electronic device I carry on the water is my old BlackBerry, so all of my pictures come from an obsolete camera phone.

Plus, our point-and-shoot is getting to the point where I'd feel justified in replacing it, and drop/water/dust-proof can be just as handy around a little one as it can on a river!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  12. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Today I trolled a forum devoted to knit hats (Knit Hat Chit Chat) by inappropriately introducing religion into the discussion. Man, did they get PO'd!

A lady, whom I know not to be a lady of Christian faith, was showing off a knit hat she had knitted. I said "A good knit hat should please the senses, but also it should direct the mind to matters loftier and more divine. Since the OP has not faith in Christ, she cannot comprehend how those two realms can be mediated. You see, it is only Christ who mediates the earthly and the divine."

I was banned.

4 people like this.
  13. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

knithatchitchat.net

1 person likes this.
  14. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Betimes I am of proud to Internet know you, this is of those times.

2 people like this.
  15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It is why it is so good...

Sexting your wife is so home counties..

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "home counties"?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  17. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Makes sense. Muchos gracias, amigo!

19. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Whaa? you mean why'd they vanish? cuz their world was already upside down and they were overwhelmed...but they are ok now.

20. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I can't speak for acidboy, but I think he was confused by your use of the plural pronouns to refer to the singular "someone."