1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

I respect your opinion. You are most certainly entitled to it, but DEM SOME FIGHTING WORDS -- YOU TAKE THEM BACK!

3. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe a good idea to just do it for one night. Who knows, he might get terrified or something. Still, sitting around a campfire making smores should make any kid happy. Depending on when you are getting in though, may make sense to do the first night so he gets a feel for setting up camp, etc. Also, if he is just having a blast, he can always stay the second night too.

Car camping can be an awful lot of fun if you do it right. Load up the coolers with steaks and such, get a giant Taj Ma-tent that you can stand up inside, and generally just do it up. I love backpacking and really getting out into the woods, but car camping is an absolute blast as well.

4. aravenel

Yeah, sorry, that's just wrong.

1 person likes this.
  5. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Don't you guys think about Jason or the Texas chainsaw massacrer when you're out camping and shit?

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

+1 to the idea of camping.

Hey, MrG, how old is little g, btw?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  7. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

Yeah, I've been leaning toward one night all along, and it was actually recommended by another SFer who said that's how he started with his kids. Good point about having him come set up camp, though. I'll have to seriously consider that. I like the idea of him seeing all that goes into getting set up, but, on the other hand, I'm not sure he's old enough to "get" that part. Also, I'm not planning to take time off work, so getting him and everything loaded up on Friday evening and then heading to the campsite might complicate the logistics.

I'm pretty much planning to do exactly that. I'm going to take advantage of all the extra space to bring a cooler, camp stove, etc.

Psh. Shows how much you know about horror-movie lore. I'm a married, 30-something white guy. At least in terms of horror movie deaths, I'm pretty much invincible.

It's probably painfully obvious by now, but I'm very stoked about it. :laugh:

He turns three this fall.

8. aravenel

Ah, yeah, three is maybe a bit young to "get" the setup part etc. And if you are going after work on Friday, that's maybe not enough time anyways.

Have a blast, hope it goes well!

9. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I was considering playing Zelda too. I've never beaten that one. I remember getting stuck somewhere around the water temple, or something like that. I might have to start a new game over.

As for Goldeneye, it's awesome, but I almost liked playing Perfect Dark even more. I wasted about two solid years playing combat simulation with bots. The graphics in both games are really dated though. It's amazing how much you take them for granted now, and I've never even played Xbox 360 or PS3 to experience those.

10. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Don't understand the camping hate. It's fun, you weirdos.

2 people like this.
  11. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

Returning rental cars tomorrow, 10.50 a day for med size sedan and 3.1? a gallon. I'm truly amused about how little you can spend in New Mexico/Arizona

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

If the weather is good and if you are not eaten by mosquitos.

Having been on camping holidays, as I kid where it rained for a week straight and we had to dig drenches to keep our stuff dry, which didn't matter as everything was damp already, I can join the choir and say I hate camping.

13. joinorgage

joinorgage New Member

good info,And only a few months until the weather starts warming up. thank you
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  14. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

That's true enough. Just don't take a job as a camp counselor or creepy high school teacher, k?

15. clee1982

Camping in the US is pretty pleasant in my experience, try to do that in SE Asia, that's where bugs really eat you alive...

16. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

My uncle sent me on a camping trip to Vietnam in 1967 . You are right about the bugs

3 people like this.
  17. clee1982

Well I assume you have something other than bugs to worry about in 1967...

18. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

Yeah well they have they do have a lot of snakes and it really rains a lot

19. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I used to think this was true, but then I actually played it again. Zelda is still great, but Goldeneye really doesn't hold up.

It was a great new thing at the time, but there have been so many improvements made to the genre (including perfect dark which was an upgrade) that its hard to play it any more. Everything is just so slow and limiting. I mean hell, you can't jump off ledges! And actually aiming was a technique reserved for advanced players (everybody knew how to get the crosshairs up, but only good players knew how to look up and down without them). You would think that hooking up an n64, cracking a beer, and shooting at your friends would be a great time, but it gets old really fast...Smash and mario-kart are still much more playable since they weren't pushing the limits of the system so much.

FWIW, somebody remade goldeneye 64 for the PC as the freely available Goldeneye Source (I think the Source SDK is free even if you don't own any games based on Source). I played that with friends and we had a blast. We had like 8 people playing goldeneye together...you got the weapons/levels/game modes that you have fond memories of, but you got the gameplay experience of a much better designed shooter.

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Shit, 30-something? I guess the old guy club here is smaller than I thought. You look at least 40 online.
    Hope you have fun. Sounds like a great time, and something your little guy will remember forever.