1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I heard one of the funniest stories I've heard in years today. we had lunch with some old high school friends of my wife, from Colombia. one of them served in the Colombian army, rich kids don't serve in the army, they find a way out, so I asked him why he served.

so, his parents made arrangements for him to stay out of the army, like all the other rich kids in his school. he started university. he gets a call from the army, telling him that he should come to pick up his exemption document. he goes to the office they tell him to, he actually goes with a few friends in the car, on the way to a bar. he figures he'll pop in and get the document and go.

he goes in to the office, and there are 3 other people in line. the first guy in line says "they called me and told me to come get my exemption" and the sergeant says "hey, that's great, unfortunately we ran out of exemptions" and an MP comes and pulls him off and throws him in a bus. this guy turns and tries to run and they grab him, too, and throw him on the bus. it turns out that he had the exemption, but the recruiters came up short and had to scrape up a half a dozen soldiers. he ended up serving a year. I thought it was hilarious.

1 person likes this.
  2. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I'm sick as a dog. My throat hurts so much I can only whisper a few words at a time. My fiancee is cooking all my meals and taking care of me. It's very romantic.

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Met with some old med school batchmates yesterday. They did the eclectic thing, got married right after medschool then migrated to Australia to do research work in the Oceania region (without any family in that region).

We did the super touristy NYC stuff that you try to be blasé about but actually makes you re-appreciate the city.

Tasting menu at Baboo for lunch (actually pretty awesome)
    Pictures at The Cosby Show brownstone steps (ironically located in Manhattan)
    Pictures at the Sex and the City Apt steps (friend's wife was ecstatic that area in fairness so beautiful)
    MoMa (even when its busy on a sat afternoon its still awesome)
    Museum of Natural History and shake shack (no lines, still full from lunch but still ate)
    Central Park - this is where we said our goodbyes. (i figured central park is best experienced alone)

We drove and the best parts was getting nonchalant TV parking street spots in front of the restaurant, MoMa, and central park/museum of natural history.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Damn that's fast. Nice going.

Sat my third exam yesterday. For the first time, I'm confident I passed (the first two times I was hopeful and did pass). One to go.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Congrats, T-dawg.

--

Making me happy is my discovery of the Krispy Kreme "HOT LIGHT" app that tells me whenever good 'ole KK is makin' dem fresh 'n hot.

:drool:

Haven't had a fresh-off-the-press glazed KK donut in YEARS!

7. MrG

MrG Senior member

:slayer:

Great going, T!

Oh my. This sounds like the type of thing that could make me get fat for the first time ever.

8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Lol no not quite. Cholent and kishka amongst other tasty foods.
    --

Great news, Thomas!!!

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I guess it was silly of me not to know the Stitches had cholent for lunch on Saturday. :laugh:

1 person likes this.
  10. in stitches

11. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

This weather in the NE is insane. I'm walking around reminding myself that it's August and that I should be miserable.

12. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I know. I haven't had the A/C on in at least two weeks. Feels really strange.

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

NE weather is awesome right now, 'tis true. T, what are your exams for? Congrats.

14. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Seriously. For once, I cannot complain about the weather in New York.

1 person likes this.
  15. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Finalized order for an engagement ring.

Stitch may be disappointed. I even went online for this purchase. Maybe people will start believing me when I say I don't store shop.

16. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Broad reached out to Coney Island and the wind shifted enough for a close haul back. It was lovely.

17. in stitches

Gorgeous here too. Made a belated bday party for my son at a nearby park. Would have been impossible to do that a week or so ago.

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Miami Spice has started :slayer:

19. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Looks like Raven Symone has come out of the closet (admitted to lesbian ways). This is a game changer!

20. in stitches