1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

currently backing up all computers. its going to take forever to backup everything.

I bought new apple time capsules (to make things easier/wireless) but still have a regular old wired back up for redundancy.

normally having a convenient "no need to think" wireless back up solution is great - but this initial back up is going to take more than 48 hours. the regular IT guy who set up the wired back ups (the hard drives are located inside a fire safe) said even if I do wired ethernet backups with the time machine(s) its going to take more than 12hours anyway.

2. Laurens

Laurens Senior member

@Lawrence, why not one of those big LaCie 5Big modules? Seems easier to manage.

Thanks, I really do always screw up hands so this was a small victory for me.

About the mug, I always include the immediate surroundings of a drawing and I happen to drink a lot of coffee so I usually include it.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I meant the shape. Certainly unusual!

4. otc

otc Senior member

I think its more about the fact that why simply complains. Nobody ever mentions something and has him show up to say "oh yeah, that thing is awesome".

To be fair, now that I am a few episodes in to season 4, I can kind of see what he is saying. Although I don't agree with his sentiment.
    Its true that these guys lives are a little too intertwined. Chance meetings worked out in Season 1 and even 2, because it just made sense--you didn't know the people yet, so they could be any random person. Now the same characters always end up in each other's business.

A few eps into season 4, we've got Prez teaching in a middle school. This middle school is attended by Wee-Bay's kid and Bubbles' protege. Its also the middle school where the Boxing coach's Ex teaches and just so happens to be the same middle school that the former district commander takes his academic to study kids.
    Meanwhile, Major Crimes is torn apart, but Freamon and Greggs are together in homicide. Bunk has caught the murder that I can only imagine will eventually pull the "gang" back together into going after Marlo's crew (and of course his perp/vic was Bodie's guy on the street). Greggs gets tossed on to the witness murder that's stirring up shit for the same people that were pissed about the subpoenas she delivered.
    Mcnulty is tooling around the western, but I'm sure he will be brought back into the fold once they start finding bodies.

Season 3 was similarly connected I suppose. I don't really begrudge them for this though. In S1, it could have been anyone since we didn't know the characters. But now we have characters that have been developed, and actors on the payroll. It may be a bit too much of a coincidence that Bunk always catches the murders that matter to McNulty and crew, but from a viewer's standpoint, it keeps the show's character count tight. They are all in the same mid-size city so its not that unbelievable (unlike say, Game of Thrones, where you have to have a thousand characters because they've got no telephones or airplanes and the story takes place across continents).
    This is just how storytelling works. If it were real life, Bunk would be 5 different detectives, but in a fictionalized account, someone would probably create a composite character to keep the story tight and engaging. Even in the GoT-Book to GoT-Show transition, a lot of characters are merged--easier to have people keep running into the same vile mercenary instead of run into 4 different vile mercenaries that all need several minutes of screen time to set up how vile they are.

On the political agenda, I'm not sure I agree (although I am not done with the show yet so I can't say for sure). If there is an agenda being pushed, it was being pushed from the start. It was there in the middle of season 1.
    Its part of the story though. You can't write a story like this without taking a stance (or at least, you can't write it well). Nobody wants to see 5 years of a day-to-day documentary of how the police catch someone...the story has to progress over time, and politics and social ills are part if it. Maybe they are editorializing, but it would get pretty bland without it. I don't expect my fiction to read like a mid-2000's Baltimore newspaper.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  5. Laurens

Laurens Senior member

Oh it certainly is, it's from the Alessi Faitoo collection designed by Starck, it's meant to be hung on these rails, hence the odd shape.

[​IMG]

6. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I will be happy when Laurens returns to his original avatar.

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

OK, now that I see it has function it is pretty cool. Neat way to solve for space issues in small European kitchens!

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You should build an empire.
    I'm not meta-smart enough to be sure what this means. I watch very little tv because it generally doesn't hold my interest. The Wire engaged me, and I enjoyed it. Sure, the later seasons were not as fresh as the first few. That seems like a natural progression. Buy anyway, I liked it. Not sure about the Socially Accepted thing, but one alternative explanation for both "critics" and a bunch of people here enjoying something could be that it doesn't completely suck. Bacon's overly popular with food hipsters these days and has a following here as well. But that's not why I eat it. [shrug]

Nice, man. Kudos.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

not true. why likes early Fleetwood Mac. how early i didn't ask, but the point still stands.

Lawyerdad, i had a long time where i did not eat bacon, and in fact i am even now experiencing a bacon drought, during which i am re-examining my attachment to it. i feel a greater fondness towards smoked pork butt than to Supermarket Bacon, which i guess means it wasn't all that to me in the first place.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

That's how I've always ended up feeling months or years after a break-up. It's how the heart heals, man.

11. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

zomg brilliant idea.

12. otc

otc Senior member

Bought some tickets to Riot Fest.

Might be a bunch of obnoxious teens*, but how can you turn down the chance to see The Replacements and Pixies play back to back? Heck, Bob Mould is even going to be there.

*But maybe not. The sunday line up is a bunch of bands that the teens weren't even born for...so maybe only cool kids will show up. Probably not so much on friday where Fall Out Boy is playing (I didn't buy a friday ticket...although there are still some neat acts on that day)

13. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Taylor ham > bacon. Believe that.

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

What's Taylor ham? Ham made out of Taylor Swift/Lautner?

15. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's the breakfast meat of champions.

16. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

This is great.

Fortunately for me, I have exciting, very exciting things happening with work and my career, too. Couldn't be happier.

1 person likes this.
  17. MrG

MrG Senior member

I love bacon but not The Wire. SF has not influenced my opinion of either item.

Also, Jimmy Buffett continues to rule and pancakes have not stopped sucking.

1 person likes this.
  18. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

great news, buddy. very happy for you.

one day i will force you to watch the wire in its entirety. it will be for your own good. no comment on the bacon.

i do enjoy me some jimmy B, but i dont think pancakes suck. their are pancake counterparts that are far better, but i do enjoy a good pancake when its done right.

19. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Congratulations, JayJay!

20. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Buckwheat pancakes are the only way to go. Better texture, flavor.

Congrats Jay, that's great to hear.