things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Naaa atheist, rabid, angry, militant one apparently.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

FWIW no one who has posted anything agrees with me. Its just the biggest douches who are blocked.

3. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

On the more good than harm point (I disagree by the way) where do you draw the line? Your dietary laws for example may seem strange to some but who do they harm? Probably no one? (certainly they don't do anyone much good) So benign on one side of the line. What about Jehovah's witnesses who refuse their dying child a blood transfusion? Same side of the line or different? Some people say it is their right to practice their religion as they see fit, I say sterilize them all end of problem. What about Catholics like Mother Teresa who help to perpetuate poverty and suffering in developing nations, harmful or not?

4. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I'm a douche, and I thought I was blocked?

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

6. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

sorry for late response, haven't been near a computer i can access SF from lately.

My issue with the particular priest was that he had no understanding of Church Doctrines laid out by JP2 in Humanae Vitae and the Theology of the Body. Whether or not I agree with the teachings is insubstantial, I was just annoyed that he was passing judgement and proselytizing with no understanding of the theological framework behind the argument he was trying to espouse. Its like a science teacher saying sodium and water react badly because they had a bad breakup, WTF?

I'll stop complaining about Church related things, thread officially derailed.

7. in stitches

i dont think it is possible to go through every possible example of what may be good or harmful within the confines of religion. but you could have the same argument on the beliefs of society in general, entirely outside of religion.

as far as the particulars you mentioned, i can not speak for other religions, but within judaism, taking care of ones life and health supersedes pretty much all commandments if they are in conflict.

i think as this point the conversation has gone as far as i can go publicly.

to each there own, and on to other fun things....

.....LIKE BAGEL DAY AT THE OFFICE!!!!

8. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Most actions are not one or the other but some proportion of both. Any time you help one person, you're denying another the same help, any time you do well for yourself, its almost always at the expense of another. Life is very complicated, and a well intended, morally correct action can still be harmful in some way to somebody, which is when I start getting a headache and thank God for having had people far more intelligent than myself write complicated theses on religious morality, and people somewhat more intelligent than myself write cliffnotes versions that I can kinda understand.

9. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

There you go, another example of the evils of religion.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Steak two nights in a row. A side of Miralax.

11. in stitches

:nodding:

best. stuff. evar.

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Well you have a point, but yes, basically I am teaching my kids things I believe to be false. Kids, basically people up to about 25, simply don't have fully formed brains, and messages have to be clearer and less gray-scale.

That said - we expose my kids to a lot of different religions and experiences, my 5 year olds are familiar with the Hindu and Greek gods as well as our own religion, and they have taken part in religious ceromonies for several religions and sects, while my wife and I are not believers.

But I feel very strongly that if you don't give a kid something they will go looking for religion and end up skin something stupid.

13. otc

otc Senior member

I've got a navy grenadine tie on its way from Paul Winston...should be here in time for a wedding on saturday.

Hope that I like it and that it goes with the suit I am planning to wear...probably going with a white shirt so no worries there.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i have the theme song to "Team America: World Police" stuck in my head* and it makes me laugh.

15. in stitches

pls post pics upon receiving, sounds very nice.

@ doc lawrence, please help here.