things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

superb. he sounds very down to earth. probs a very good and capable spiritual leader.

2. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Yeah, I pretty much stopped going to mass in the late 1990's. Last homily I remember hearing was an old priest who plainly didn't understand A) Humanae Vitae or B) how the mechanism of conception works stating that condoms were equivalent to abortion because they killed a soul.

3. in stitches

my boss brought me a deli sub for lunch. :slayer:

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Well, I don't agree with the church on a number of issues (contraception being one of them) but I see where they're coming from re: contraception in that it prevents God's will from happening. Natural Family Planning - OTOH - is okay because... I don't really know why. I guess because there's no physical barrier. Then again, by that logic blowjobs and handjobs are likewise Wrong.

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^ the best I heard was in Newport RI, that involved a guy who owned a rolls royce that needed a repair. He called the dealer ranting about his car. A repair man showed up at his front door with a tool kit, replaced some engine parts, did the repair and disappeared.

The guy calls up the dealer ranting again about how the repairman just left and now he has to go through the hassle of paying the bill after the fact - to which the dealer replied: "Sir, Rolls Royce has no record of repairs or debts for repairs done... Good Day!"

I was only 8 years old at the time I heard it.... and it was a homily done during a very affluent family's couple's wedding/mass but I remember the whole church just howling with laughter - that I was actually frightened by the whole scene - so I looked around and saw my parents laughing so I just faked laughed along with them.

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

There is a black priest who belongs to one of the orders here in Atlanta and visits multiple parishes. He has a really good line "You don't never see a U-Haul behind a hearse."

I like the ones who get more philosophical or actually mention that there are consequences for bad actions.

7. edinatlanta

The best though was Christmas a few years ago. I will share it in its entirety with you.

It was the chaplain for one of the big Catholic HS here, and is now the archdiocese's Director of Vocations.

"I received a card yesterday and was struck by the simplicity and it really made me re-examine what I was going to say because it reminded me what Christmas really is about. Inside it said never forget Christian love."

So I don't remember it exactly but that was all he said. He got up for the Nicene Creed and went "if you've bee away for awhile, they're always that long now."

8. edinatlanta

Actually I take that back, my favorite was probably in Denmark. It was the "foreign student Mass" at the Cathedral and it was a young Danish priest we all sat around the altar (small congregation) and he had a line where it may have been due to language difficulties but he said "if you're paying attention to the readings at Mass, every time there should be something that makes you a little uncomfortable because being a Christian isn't easy."

9. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

That's so cool! I had no idea there was so much wildlife in Toyko, although I know that there is quite a bit of farm and parkland nearby - but what I saw seemed like such a concrete jungle.

One of the saddest things I've ever seen was in Chapultepec Park, in Mexico City - a group of people were gathered around pointing at the upper branches of a tree, when I got close enough to see what had them so excited I realized it was a squirrel.

It was in a 200 level course required for Philosophy majors, which technically makes it an intro course - we covered Kant in the second semester, "Rationalism". After that I experience I focused more on analytic philosophy and logical positivism, and eventually wrote my undergraduate thesis on Kripke and Quine.

10. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

We don't have squirrels in Australia or Japan, I saw some in Taiwan. That was pretty exciting after having grown up with cartoon squirrels only.

There is a small green strip beside the river that runs through my suburb, also in some areas there are hills and small mountains that are too steep to develop. This movie is set near where I live and some of the land is still undeveloped, I guess the bursting real estate bubble at the end of the 80s saved it.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Really tho the argument makes no sense because there's no way putting on a condom prevents god's will

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

That is really damn good. I'm going to remember that.

Perhaps not, but it is pre-empting God's will - or rather, putting your will before His.

13. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Cereal? Are you actually that insane?

14. in stitches

what is insane about that? g-ds ultimate will can not be stopped, but he did put laws of nature in place. if stopping ones seed is against g-ds will within the laws of nature he made, then using a condom is against his will, despite the fact the he could ultimately over ride that if he so chooses.

obviously if one doesnt believe in g-d, or that stopping ones seed in such a fashion is against his will, this is a non issue. but if you believe in those 2 points, what is unreasonable about thomas' post?

15. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

...all this god talk.