1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. breakfasteatre

breakfasteatre Senior member

getting 1st place in my hockey pool for the regular season = 150 cool ones

keys to my success: ribeiro drafted in the 22nd round, picking up leclair from free agency, getting 6 of his shutouts, and then trading for gaborik, gaborik lighting it up, spezza for eric stall and gonchar, bryzgalov as a FA, pronger

2. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am getting two kitties today! (for a few weeks).

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I can finally play tennis outside for the first time of the season! No more playing indoor in the shitty gym! [​IMG]

4. onion

onion Senior member

I'm happy that I finally got my home gym installed. It's awesome. [​IMG] [​IMG] http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ate+smith&sr=1 I had looked at bowflexes and other complete work out systems, but they were either too big or lacked mutiple exercises for certain muscle groups. This one has everything you could ever want. Also not pictured is an Olympic bar, bench (incline and decline), leg attachment, and preacher curl attachment. Now all I need to get is a pair of adjustable weight dumb bells.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

got my cars detailed, for the first time. really nice. I think that I am going to do this eveyr 6 months or so, maybe even every 3 months. very nice feeling.

6. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Trotter,
    Did you do them yourself or have someone else do them? I'm kind of interested in learning how to detail just out of lack of things to do on weekends.

JB

7. globetrotter

Trotter,
    Did you do them yourself or have someone else do them? I'm kind of interested in learning how to detail just out of lack of things to do on weekends.

JB

have to chuckle over the "lack of things to do on weekends" bit.

no, I took them in. my sons school had a fund raiser, so I bought a certificate to have one car detailed and took the other one in as well. I have no idea how they got them so clean.

8. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

My weeks are usually full, I don't have any time for anything. I figure if I have time to burn at the station on the weekends I can sit outside and wash/wax the urban assault vehicle [​IMG]

JB

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I turned 21 on Feb 15, and was told by my HR dep't that my first 401(k) contribution couldn't be made until the next full pay cycle in March. So today was my first ever contribution to my 401(k). It was a relatively measly amount ($75/paycheck) but it makes me feel a lot of pride and I also feel more responsible and mature than I have in quite a while.

Very cool, indeed.

Also-- I do have a few serious questions about it, so if anyone here is an expert or well-versed in 401(k), please PM or email me.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I turned 21 on Feb 15, and was told by my HR dep't that my first 401(k) contribution couldn't be made until the next full pay cycle in March. So today was my first ever contribution to my 401(k). It was a relatively measly amount ($75/paycheck) but it makes me feel a lot of pride and I also feel more responsible and mature than I have in quite a while.

Very cool, indeed.

That's great. And now it's worth $74.... 73.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

That's great. And now it's worth $74.... 73.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the plus side..... isn't it good for me to contribute when the market is down, and then hopefully in 40+ years when I retire, have the market be higher? (Someone please validate that to make me feel better)

I really don't know much about it, but I've got some books coming. I figured it's better to at least start saving for retirement regardless of my knowledge on the subject, although I do plan on expanding that.

12. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yes. Buy low, sell high is the best strategy [​IMG]

I was just yanking your chain [​IMG] 401k are by definition very long horizon investments so you should put your $ in assets that yield the best long-term risk-adjusted returns, i.e. highly geared towards equity

13. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    kwilk: marry my ex-wife and you won't have to worry about your retirement account; she'll see that it is vaporized. Then dollar-cost-averaging and time-value and all that will be completely removed from your consciousness. Much easier that way. [​IMG]

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

kwilk: marry my ex-wife and you won't have to worry about your retirement account; she'll see that it is vaporized. Then dollar-cost-averaging and time-value and all that will be completely removed from your consciousness. Much easier that way. [​IMG]

If that's not a compelling argument, I don't know what is [​IMG]

Okay, I'm convinced. What's her phone number?

15. VMan

VMan Senior member

50 degrees here today, so I went down to the storage locker and dug out the old bikecycle. Stomped on the pedals around the lakefront, was great to get out after a long cold winter.

16. Jenaimarr

Jenaimarr Senior member

Getting off the chair lift, strapping into your snowboard, and going to the edge of a massive drop that's about to loosen your bowels.

Just before so,

lying on your back in the fresh powder, lighting a cigarette and enjoying the view.

... this is nirvana for me.

17. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

I'm having a really great conversation right now. And it pleases me.

18. username79

username79 Senior member

Listening to Kind of Blue for the first time in years on JM Lab Utopias purchased this morning

Sushi and a good bottle of wine

5000 pages of material to review for certification test in a few weeks.

19. globetrotter

took a flight on a new AA 777 configuration - not as good as most of the asian carriers, but probrably even better than LH, and certainly better than any of the another US based airlines. good storage, 180 degree seat, good entertainment systmem. I even had some very friendly stews - not young and hot, like they might be in other countries, but at least friendly.

transited through heathrow, which has improved drastically in the past year or so. security wasn't too bad, and getting through the airport wasn't bad.

got into dubai late sunday, had a water pipe on the roof of my hotel.

all in all, life is very good.

20. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

took a flight on a new AA 777 configuration - not as good as most of the asian carriers, but probrably even better than LH, and certainly better than any of the another US based airlines. good storage, 180 degree seat, good entertainment systmem. I even had some very friendly stews - not young and hot, like they might be in other countries, but at least friendly.

transited through heathrow, which has improved drastically in the past year or so. security wasn't too bad, and getting through the airport wasn't bad.

That's good to hear, I hope to be on one of the new-configuration jets when I do Miami-Heathrow next month.

JB