things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Whew. Done with work and finally get to get in my flight gimme tomorrow without canceling it.

Now tomorrow I get to see as much of new orleans as I can before my 5:30 flight. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of cafe due monde for breakfast and getting the concierge to make me a lunch reservation at commanders (always wanted to go) it wherever he suggests and can get a table

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

As long as you do not have any sore part of your body after it , it's fine..

3. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

:)

4. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Well done grasshopper.

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

exactly. i was talking about pb.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Nice night last night, tasted some great wine, ate some great food.

Mellow morning, nothing pressing to do, no work activities planned this weekend.

:slayer:

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

So this happened.
    [​IMG]

Some banalities, though.

First, the stupid smoke alarm woke me up at 3:15 to ask for new batteries. I was sorely displeased by its impertinence.

Second, the race packet did not contain safety pins, so I had to stitch my bib to my shirt (not this one but rather my Chevron Finisher shirt). It was not Borrelli-level work, but even Borrelli is no longer Borrelli, and I didn't recall any other SF members attending...so I feel comfortable in the presentation.

It was a slower time than I'd hoped for, but given the cold I fought off this week, the family stress, the overtraining, and the odd hip hitch that came out of nowhere and required lots of Advil just to get me walking normally, I was so, so glad to cross the line (juuuust under four hours).

Afterwards I ran into someone I met at packet pick-up, a cancer survivor finishing her first half. I was so proud of her and encouraged her to find another one and keep going. She didn't hit me for suggesting it, so I guess she's happy.

Next - Angie's half-crazy half marathon. April 1. I'm done with the marathon distance for a while, unless Rouse wants to run San Antonio with me this fall.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I don't know how you do it all, with the family issues and classes and the long-distance running. I especially don't know how you do it while maintaining such a positive attitude. It's inspiring.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Congrats, Thomas.

10. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

:slayer:

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Thanks mang!

The running feeds the positive attitude and forces a degree of mental discipline in terms of what I choose to dwell upon. I'm certainly not perfect, sometimes I carry an issue or grudge for a few miles (and definitely feel it!), but it's better than Not Running. As for the WHY, well - my son and I talked in the car last night and I told him that my life is pretty much more than half-over. Someday he'll bury me (maybe, maybe not but it's a decent assumption), and my job is to help him become capable in as many areas as possible, and show him that even the daunting tasks can be overcome with thoughtful effort.

And, I think I've said this before to a few people here and there, but I'm not the only one on SF who does this kind of stuff. There are marathoners who would blow my doors off, there are foster parents who also have their travails, members who attend classes and work (and train), members who advocate for and work with disadvantaged kids, and all kinds of combinations thereof. If anything, I'm probably the most prolific / loudest / easiest-reading poster - if I can even claim the last part.

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

My wife and I were out running errands and decided to stop at McDonald's for a burger and fries. We do that maybe twice a year and love it. Ah, simple pleasures.

For next Valentines Day we are getting McDonalds burgers and a jumbo fries with a very nice bottle of champagne :)

13. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Had Burger King with the wife yesterday, first fast food burger for about 6 months. I got a Whopper with cheese and bacon and a caramel latte, McDonalds simply can not compare.

14. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Getting bananas right now. Then going to Beethoven. Will be at gilt at 10:30. You are invited.

15. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Customer bought me one of my favorite cigars. They're pricey so I never buy them for myself, super cool of him :)