things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. otc

otc Senior member

I dunno, they felt funny at first but in the end it is great. The small lacing area is up a little higher and the way it pulls in the chukka-sides seems to spread out lacing pressure and very securely fix the heel in place. I think I bought them in chucks sizing (1/2 down) and they took a minute to break in, but they are great. You are right about the toe box though...if I wear thick wool socks, there is not enough vertical space.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

on my want list at present.
    ---
    had another great day. it seems the key to my happiness is going to j00 school and learning, not working, seeing my family, being in complete charge of my daily goings on and buying clothes.

how can i sustain this lifestyle i wonder.

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1. Lately, dark brown suede chukkas have been the only chukkas I've been wearing.

4. in stitches

i am going to fields tailors in DC tomorrow to get a suit jacket fixed. its gonna be expensive, take a long time to drive in and out, and they take a month to do work. but they will do a great job, i will finally be happy about this suit, and i get to spend time in DC which is rare for me.

a fair enough give and take that i am more happy than not about this.

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Are you going to get that Cashmere coat altered too?

6. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

You're doing the yeshiva-->rabbi thing? That is so cool...I'm jealous.

What is making me happy right now:

1. Venison steaks and succotash.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I convinced my students today that the true author of the Nicomachean Ethics was Bjork. (It is really Aristotle.) We had a quiz, which included a freebie question: Who is the author of the Nicomachean Ethics? (A book we've been reading for a couple of weeks now.) One of the multiple choice options was Bjork. When we went over the answers, I told them it was Bjork. They all felt bad b/c they thought they got it wrong. Maybe I should not think that is funny, but I do.

8. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

The real question is how many answered "Bjork" on the quiz.

9. L'Incandescent

Turns out none of them did. Two students did choose Aristophanes, though.

10. in stitches

i dont think so, it looks well enough that i dont feel bad wearing it as is, and i dont even want to know what they would charge to mess with it. also, its my staple winter coat right now, cant go without it for a month. maybe come spring ill get that done. and, considering its basic sleeve shortening i have someone closer and less expensive who i think could do it.

something like that. :)

are you also of the j00?

looks great!

11. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I wish I had more professors like you. You sound funny in class.

12. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

I do shit like that all the time. I'm dyslexic and if I saw "Aristo-" I probably would think it said aristotle.
    My two favorite extra credit quizzes were in "The Phonetics, Linguistics and History of the Germanic Languages" (a class which, being taught in German, which I do not speak, kicked my ass) where our final was extra credit only and consisted of eating toblerone, and counted for half the points in the course, and my intro to basic logic course (the math-y kind not the rhetoric-y kind):

Choose the correct answer:
    A) It is not the case that A is the correct answer.
    B) It is not the case that B is the correct answer.
    C) It IS the case that C IS the correct answer.

I'm not Jewish, though I really like Judaism in terms of theology, Ashkenazim culture interests me a lot (esp the Hasidim), and I voluntarily listen to klezmer music. I'd more meant that my experience of the Jewish view on spending your life at Yeshiva and in Talmudic studies seems to people who do so in high esteem. If you go into life as a secular academic, most people in the US (especially my working class irish family that views college as a pyramid scheme) think you're an intellectual savant who can't function in the real world and spend your time studying useless bullcrap that doesn't benefit society, which frustrates me more because at least in my case its largely true. I'm envious of the prestige you guys get.

BTW rolex isn't mine, its just I'm selling it and taking ten points which should pay my cc bill for the month if I can get the asking price.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

13. L'Incandescent

It is making me happy to think that you signed up for and completed a class taught in a language you do not speak! (Although sometimes I think the classes I teach are all in a language my students do not speak, viz. English.)

14. in stitches

interesting, very interesting. this point of view you have on what jews think of other jews who dedicate themselves to study is often true, but not always. its not appreciated by all. but hey, haters gone hate. amirite?

good luck selling the rollie.

15. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

The "tapdancing on sand" feeling I get when I take on a project I don't have a lot of background knowledge on, or sign up for a grad level class in a field I don't know or language I don't (yet) speak, then dashing to catch up with the rest of the class by slaving away ten times harder and getting a passing grade is probably one of my favorite feelings on the planet. That's the reason (other than necessity) why I do things like take 18 credits while working full time, with two courses in languages, and fuck around in my spare time translating Old Irish prose and the Bhagavad Gita for tangential use in my other courses.

There are always dissidents. I just remember when I attended the local Chabad, one of the first random people I met says "You're going to LOVE Rabbi xxxx (I know his name, we still argue over British premier league footie) he can recite the whole mishnah and half the gemara" and the first thing that popped into my head was that if I could quote the entirety of the Gospels or told people I can recite Beowulf (probably the most significant piece of early period English literature) they'd think I was crazy and/or retarded.

And thank you :)