things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Scrubbed the house clean this weekend and finally put up all the Christmas stuff.
    Had a long talk with the Mrs and got out minds more or less in sync about the boy.
    Baby's walking more and more, took a walk around the block yesterday morning.
    Did my first plyometric workout, getting more aggressive on plyo and core work.
    Ran 4 miles this morning without pain.
    About to submit my app to run the Woodlands Marathon in early March. The course is 90% suck, but it should be fairly flat and a decent finish, small field, close to home.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

2. MrG

MrG Senior member

For those who frequent the "Pissing You Off Thread," you'll remember that I lost a good friend recently. His funeral and wake were the other day. This is a busy time at work for me, and I recently used a bunch of vacation time, so I really couldn't afford to miss any work. This meant to go, I had to drive eight hours after work Friday, do the funeral stuff Saturday, and drive home yesterday. I decided to do it, and I'm glad I did.

The funeral itself was pretty blah. It was a Catholic Mass, and my friend was far from a practicing Catholic. Also, it was very cookie cutter. I think it really helped his parents, but it felt too generic for me. The wake, on the other hand, was awesome. It appears that my friend had a few grand tucked away in a savings account, so his brother used the money to fund a party at my friend's favorite Irish Pub (dead friend was ethnically Irish and was in love with Ireland). It was an awesome, awesome way to say good-bye, and I think it's what he would have wanted. We drank, ate, and told stories. I also learned a lot about how my friend viewed me, and I didn't realize he valued me so much. His mother went on a couple of times about how I was his "idol" and "what MrG said was gospel." I also spent some time talking to a friend with whom he'd been very close recently, and the friend said I came up all the time in their conversations. I'm sure there was some hyperbole in there, but it taught me that we sometimes don't realize how much we mean to other people. I was also one of the only people who had a chance to speak at the wake. It was an honor, and, despite having no idea what I was going to say as I walked up, some really great stuff came to me. I was able to get a few laughs while recalling some great stuff about my friend, and I got a lot of "wow, great job" from people afterwards. It felt really great to give him such a good tribute.

Afterwards, the friend who found him, who was just as close to the friend who died, and I went to the dead friend's house. We used to spend countless nights up on the roof of the dead friend's house drinking, smoking, and talking music/philosophy/etc. It only seemed fitting to do it one more time, so we snuck over to the now-empty house, climbed up on the roof with a bunch of beer, and spent a couple hours up there just hanging out.

Plus, I found out that he'd written a "will" at like 21 years old. In it, he left me one of his favorite guitars because I "rock." His brother found the will, and the family has been insistent that I take the guitar. I was hoping for something small to remember him by, but that's just amazing. I don't have it in hand yet, but I get down there enough to visit, and I'm close to his brother, so optimistic it will be put aside for me.

I've been to a few funerals in my life, but they're never really for me. I don't really grieve like others, so it just feels like I'm there to make everyone feel like I care enough to show up. This time was different, though. It really helped me to start healing, and I could see the change in his friends and family, as well. The day started so somber, but by the end of the evening it was a celebration of what we had more than spending time lamenting what we'd lost.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

3. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I am envious and am fascinated to read that you are wearing stacked sweaters.

Sounds like you and I were on the same "gettin shit done" train this weekend.

G, sounds like great send off for a good friend. I am happy to hear you made the trip.

4. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

what time zone are you in? sounds like a good way to end the night, not start the day.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

this. really glad you made the trip. it was clearly well worth it. for both you and your friends family.
    ---
    i just hired 3 new people for our busy season, i guess im happy about that. i hope they dont suck. its kinda trial by fire around here.

6. otc

otc Senior member

7. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I'm just trying to think, what type of store has their busy season right now. I could possibly see a home electronics store as they probably sell a lot of TVs before the Super Bowl. I know tax shops have a really busy season right now, but given your previous posts it would seem unlikely that you work at a tax shop.

I'm trying to stalk the stalker, you see.

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

SNS shawl collar cardi with the crazy V-cabling over a thinner thermal knit SNS crewneck :slayer:

[​IMG]

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i work in the ghetto. tax refund season is upon us. this is the only time of year people here have money, and they can not spend it fast enough. business will literally increase 7 fold in a week. then in 2 months it will stop, its like a magic light switch that gets turned on and then off. except its the light switch of dread and misery.

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Sell them a flat screen or a computer they don't need..

11. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

:lol: this is, more often than not, true for a lot of stores.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I no longer have a cold (hooray for not wasting in bed!) and Rubinstein playing Chopin... simply amazing.

13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

twss.

really wish posts from ignore listed posters didn't appear in previews.

14. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Hoping you see this in a preview:

HEY FUCK YOU EDINA YOU ARE GAY

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I would never ignore you :inlove: unless we're both in HKG, then I would ignore you.