Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by robbie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

2. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

I know I'm late to the game, but I just recently discovered sushi. I even lived in Japan for about 18 months back in the 1990s and never tried it there (I lived off of steak, BBQ, KFC, and Subway, pizza, rice, and various junk foods).

About a month ago my wife came home from the grocery store with a little package of sushi for her lunch and I tried a piece and loved it. So for the past few weeks I've been eating grocery store sushi as often as possible. I had been thinking it was great stuff but today I went to a little sushi place by my office for lunch and realized how much better it still gets! It's not like the grocery store stuff is not fresh or anything... but man what a difference. It's probably a good thing I started at the bottom level of sushi consumption. And I'm sure by NYC or West Coast standards, any sushi I get in the Detroit area is pretty awful, but I don't have the most discerning palette. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Stylish Dinosaur

ojfc

4. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

5. ama

ama Distinguished Member

Why all the venom? He is striving to be 1% in true SF fashion.

6. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

He lived in Japan for 18 months eating terrible American shit and discovered a taste for sushi at a Piggly Wiggly in Detroit. He is what Styleforum is all about, and everything it is against at the same time.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

7. impolyt_one

It honestly takes a concerted (crazed?) effort to subsist on KFC, Subway, et al, that kind of food he mentioned, in Japan - those kinds of places are not really all that common, certainly not all in the same places at least. Japanese restaurants low to high outnumber junk food places by a huge margin. There are something like 160,000 restaurants in Tokyo, 250+ Michelin stars, but there were only 72 Wendy's in all of Japan, top to bottom, when it closed a couple years ago. In any area more rural or suburban than central Tokyo, then the split would be even more skewed towards just Japanese food.

For example, I live in a normal (?) residential district, it's just houses and a small minority of other spaces on my block and the blocks that bound it... there are only 5 or 6 restaurants in those aforementioned blocks - a ramen shop, a yakitori place, a very subtle sushi place that is the second story of a small apt building - nothing but a small portable sign outside, a couple cafes and a very old-guard 6 seat French restaurant, and then a contemporary euro-Japanese kaiseki place run by an el Bulli alumni. I'd say the latter is the closest to my house by about 50 foot.
    McDonald's is a 20 minute walk, Burger King is a 30 minute walk, Subway is the same, and KFC is probably a 30 minute walk, but I haven't even seen it besides a delivery guy on his moped, so it's there but far. Point being, yeah - that takes a serious effort to be like that.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

8. ama

ama Distinguished Member

Heh. I'm a glass half full type, I glossed over the eating shit for 18 months portion of the post.

9. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

If you live anywhere near an American military base, those things are actually all over the place. On the few trips I made to Tokyo, I always tried to go to a steak place because that was what appealed to me at the time. Towards the end of my time there I did start making my way to some of the noodle places. I've never been one to claim to be the most adventurous person out there.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, had I discovered I liked sushi when I lived in Japan, I'd probably never be able to have it again since I'm sure everything else would taste like ashes.

I'm striving to be the 1% by enjoying sushi? :slapfight:

I think what I'm striving to do is experience new things in life even if it takes me a while to become more open minded to them.

10. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Stylish Dinosaur

These guys make some seriously good jam.

I think our favorite and beloved cherubic chef needs to start cashing in on some royalties or something.

[​IMG]

11. impolyt_one

I go into National Azabu tonight, and there before you even get to the produce, they have trussing needles on sale, lol. Thanksgiving special.

Got a big basket tub of Echire butter. Gonna get some great bread and go to town on it.

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Nothing makes me happier than this:

[​IMG]

13. tattersall

tattersall Distinguished Member

Beautiful

I never mentioned how much we've been enjoying Darroze's '71 this year - it's both my wife's and my birth-year. Really extraordinary stuff, I'm going to be sad when the bottle is drained.

14. indesertum

indesertum Stylish Dinosaur

homemade mayo is what i imagine crack tastes like

15. philosophe

philosophe Distinguished Member

Looks like true happiness to me. Armagnac + cool fall weather = perfection.