Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by robbie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

It's like having an extra assistant in the kitchen who can stir shit while you can't.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

so do it on the stove.

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

That's nice.
    I still have to open my Amedei Porcelana. How did you like it?

Please tell me about the Michel Cluizels, too. I love their 45% Grand Lait.

Actually I prefer chocolate rated by the Academy of Chocolate. That's why I've tried nearly every Amedei chocolate available here. I like them a lot. The 70% is great value.

The Beni Wild Harvest (2nd from right) is good, too, though when I ordered it the description said it's conched for 72 hours. The one I received only was conched for I think 36 or 48 hours. Improved recipe...

The Domoris are overpriced IMO. Amedei certainly isn't. :embar:

How do you guys like Valrhona? They seem to be the most used ones in haute cuisine. I've tried their dark chocolate with caramelized orange cests. It was pretty good - and received an award.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i'm actually munching/worrying on a piece of the porcelana right now. frickin fantastic. lots of fruity notes. sweet at first, mellows out, and it has that nice deep rich bitterness at the end with a looong finish. texture is perfect. snap sounds great.

ive been working on the porcelana, the beni harvest, domori rio caribe, and the vahlrona bar for a week now. they're all so good. can't make up my mind. the beni harvest tbh has perfect texture. extremely smooth. but i'm not sure i'd be able to tell the difference between 72 and 48 hours of conching

haven't opened the cluizel yet. i've had a few before (bought a few from a sandwich shop in chicago), but i cant tell you much besides that i thought they were worth the price.

domori is certainly expensive, but still amazingly good.

:fu: my local supermarket stocked that vahlrona bar yo'ure talking about :fu: but then they got rid of it. prolly a good thing for my wallet and body, but a shame for my tongue. ate way too many of those. vahlrona is pretty hyped, but imo worth it. -_- in ad hoc thomas keller proposed making chocolate chip cookies with a dark and a medium dark vahlrona bars. -_- no way

also i think thermomix would make life easy, but i guess you could also draw the line somewhere before then.

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I want a thermomix, and not because I cook haute cuisine at home, I don't; I just find that a lot of basic comfort food type things I like cook and eat at home would be made easy with the Thermomix. Some examples I've thought of (reasoned with myself so that I can buy it someday)

-I like to brown onions down for curries and stews; this takes about an hour to two hours depending on how many onions I use (I sometimes use like 6-10 onions if I'm making some epic batch of beef stew or curry rice) - Thermomix would reduce my work to about 5 minutes or less.
    - I would love to be able to have Eggs Benedict or Bearnaise sauce, but can't be assed to make sauce that often if I'm cooking proteins and other stuff. Thermomix could do that on its own, on the counter, while I cook
    -WIthout stirring, I'd imagine it can do sous vide things in small portions, like a couple vacuumed and weighted-down proteins, or onsen eggs, etc.
    -Back to sauces, I just really hate standing there for so long making veloutes, other emulsified sauces, having a sauce maker of sorts would be amazing.
    -all the regular functions of a food processor and mixer, etc.
    -slow cooker (don't know how much I'd use it for this though, I have never wanted a slow cooker but once and I'd buy the $30 machine if I really wanted one, but I guess if it had the function I'd use it once and see)
    -soups
    -could make the custard for ice cream. I don't have plans to buy an ice cream maker but would like to serve savory ice creams and stuff once in awhile.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

got a new wine fridge

7. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I should get married.

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Ec? Vt? Viking?

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

ha, hardly, Cuisinart from Crate and Barrel. GF insists on MIele appliances for most everything except the stove, but they didn't have a freestanding unit. And for some reason I couldn't find a Vinotemp that was in the right dimensions (or maybe I did and it was like $1.2K).

10. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Are you still getting those ecume plates? I bought a few pieces by Bernadaud and really love the quality.

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

she's making me wait until the end of the month :plain:

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^nice. i can't stomach the price, but they're gorgeous

13. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Are you getting the white ones are the ones with the platinum rims? I like the plain white better, but the platinum makes a nice charger. First time I ate off of them at Le Bernardin I almost thought they were wet.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

This stuff tastes quite good. It's a little crispy and tastes a bit like gingerbread.

[​IMG]