• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

alexg

Reaction score
To be fair, it would put me way below the poverty line if I had bills. I only really consider it a lot because I'm in college and it's more than my friends make. Still, it's not bad. I think the guy who hired me thinks of me as the son he never had, and if I really wanted to he'd probably give me the store in a few years, and at the very least he'd be a great reference in the future.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I agree that toto is better but I disagree that ippudo is someplace to avoid. I wouldn't mind eating at either
Most would disagree but I feel like momofuku noodle is better. The broth isn't as rich or porky but I like the clean poached egg and the texture on the chashu. You don't get a well executed poached egg at either. I wouldnt wait 45 minutes for any of the three and I also wouldn't go to ippudo in Japan. Not that its bad but just that there are so many better places to go

was not even remotely interested in going to a Momofuku restaurant in the end, once I got to NY - by then I'd spent two weeks in America eating this insanely heavily seasoned food with all these fusion-y tastes. Can't believe you'd pick Momofuku ramen over a legitimate ramen shop. I also think the momofuku soft boiled egg winning out over a proper hanjuku egg is kind of silly.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

was not even remotely interested in going to a Momofuku restaurant in the end, once I got to NY - by then I'd spent two weeks in America eating this insanely heavily seasoned food with all these fusion-y tastes. Can't believe you'd pick Momofuku ramen over a legitimate ramen shop. I also think the momofuku soft boiled egg winning out over a proper hanjuku egg is kind of silly.

Apparently ssam bar is much better than it used to be... but I don't like Momofuku. I go to Milk Bar, the bakery, and that's it.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree that toto is better but I disagree that ippudo is someplace to avoid. I wouldn't mind eating at either
Most would disagree but I feel like momofuku noodle is better. The broth isn't as rich or porky but I like the clean poached egg and the texture on the chashu. You don't get a well executed poached egg at either. I wouldnt wait 45 minutes for any of the three and I also wouldn't go to ippudo in Japan. Not that its bad but just that there are so many better places to go

I got a soft boiled egg at ippudo. No hanjuku egg. I got an overcooked hanjuku egg at totto. No creamy yolk inside. I got a a perfectly poached and cut egg at momofuku with creamy yolk. Im not sure if you ate ramen in nyc but compared to places like menya musashi there's no real ramen. Ippudos a friggin chain.

The best soup noodles in the city are the lanzhou hand pulled lamian at supertaste near I think the Brooklyn bridge.

Also really enjoyed my time at momofuku ko. Wasn't that much Asian fusion besides a dish here or there. I do want to try Annisa next time I go.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
To call Ippudo a 'chain' is kinda harsh, they do have more than a single store but they're not exactly Applebee's of Japan here either. You have other Asian restaurants with like 5 outposts in their respective cities, so I think that's a stretch.

Didn't try ramen in NYC. Again, just not really into ramen, doesn't really do anything for my tastes for some reason. I have that tropical jungle fever taste or something, I could eat pho for every meal, everyday, if i were imprisoned or something.

Whatever quality qualms you have with NYC ramen though, well, I don't know from experience, but I can imagine. What I did gather in my time in NYC was that there was tons of food, a lot of it not too expensive, but Manhattan has the fate of being one of those places where you pay for seat time with your friends and the quality of the food isn't as important - whereas on the other side of America you have all these LA people smoking this insanely pure weed and they go out and argue about these ridiculously minute aspects of Mexican food in broken Spanish or drive around to strip malls and become pho connoisseurs; NYC people are just happy to get a table for 3+ and have some time to sit down with their friends.
I have that theory that certain Asian foods will just be better in some American locales than others, not because of the people, but because of lots of tiny factors.

Momofuku though, well, I'm still under the impression that it's the ******* **** for Korean-Americans, etc, and then you have Roy Choi doing his stoner/slacker version in LA, but maybe fusion doesn't rub me the right way, or the balance of it as its done in America is too heavy for me. I think Roy Choi actually has a better storyline with the Mexican+Korean fusion (even though it's still really ******* lame now) compared to David Chang, who seems to me some Korean American fat kid who was just a typical Korean-American latchkey stoner fridge raider type. I've known more than a few of those types and they never made anything good to eat, even when they tried.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

To call Ippudo a 'chain' is kinda harsh, they do have more than a single store but they're not exactly Applebee's of Japan here either. You have other Asian restaurants with like 5 outposts in their respective cities, so I think that's a stretch.

Didn't try ramen in NYC. Again, just not really into ramen, doesn't really do anything for my tastes for some reason. I have that tropical jungle fever taste or something, I could eat pho for every meal, everyday, if i were imprisoned or something.

Whatever quality qualms you have with NYC ramen though, well, I don't know from experience, but I can imagine. What I did gather in my time in NYC was that there was tons of food, a lot of it not too expensive, but Manhattan has the fate of being one of those places where you pay for seat time with your friends and the quality of the food isn't as important - whereas on the other side of America you have all these LA people smoking this insanely pure weed and they go out and argue about these ridiculously minute aspects of Mexican food in broken Spanish or drive around to strip malls and become pho connoisseurs; NYC people are just happy to get a table for 3+ and have some time to sit down with their friends.
I have that theory that certain Asian foods will just be better in some American locales than others, not because of the people, but because of lots of tiny factors.

Momofuku though, well, I'm still under the impression that it's the ******* **** for Korean-Americans, etc, and then you have Roy Choi doing his stoner/slacker version in LA, but maybe fusion doesn't rub me the right way, or the balance of it as its done in America is too heavy for me. I think Roy Choi actually has a better storyline with the Mexican+Korean fusion (even though it's still really ******* lame now) compared to David Chang, who seems to me some Korean American fat kid who was just a typical Korean-American latchkey stoner fridge raider type. I've known more than a few of those types and they never made anything good to eat, even when they tried.

The only Asian part of experience at ko was the sashimi, a dish with uni and dashi broth, and maybe the fact that they deep fried a piece of non battered cow loin.

Come to nyc again and we can go to ma peche and talk **** about food.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ate at one of my favorite lunch spots, Petit Pois in Charlottesville, VA. Tiny little place (probably seats twenty max) with a big patio on a pedestrian mall. Honest, simple bistro food that's almost always done right. And the lunch is one of the best deals I've found anywhere. Ex: mixed green salad with a generous amount of goat cheese and pine nuts for $3.50. Today I had chicken liver mousse and grilled quail (not exciting, but nicely cooked) on a bed of greens. And profiteroles for dessert.

This kind of fare makes me happy.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I've been to Petit Pois, wasn't bad. Overall IMO Richmond has better food than Chartlottesville. Wait - do you teach English at UVA! If so you should PM me!

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been to Petit Pois, wasn't bad. Overall IMO Richmond has better food than Chartlottesville. Wait - do you teach English at UVA! If so you should PM me!

The only places I've eaten at in Richmond: Mamna Zu (awesome) and Edo's Squid (slightly less awesome), Kuba Kuba (don't really remember it too well), and Hana Zushi (disappointing, but I guess I shouldn't have expected too much from sushi in Virginia). I grew fond of a handful of restaurants in Charlottesville during my grad student days.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This

IMG_0800.jpg

This

IMG_0801.jpg

and some good bread.

Not sure whether I like this butter best. It's very mild. I personally do like the taste of butter. So I prefer some more intense flavours, e.g. beurre d'Échiré was good, more intense flavour, but also pretty expensive (5€ for 250g) in comparison to standard German butter (1.50€ for 250g).

I really like the cheese. It's mild, but not too mild. Strong , but not too strong. Reasonably priced. About 3.50€/100g. Recommended.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Echire butter is delicious.

In tokyo right now, food is amazing as always. Really happy here. I'm to the point of having eaten too much good food and drink everyday and I need a mcdonalds burger or something crappy to reset my tastebuds, sensory overload.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lucky you. Best Japanese food I had so far was in London in a small, bistro-like restaurant. Very nice place.
Have to visit Japan someday though.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Amazon.com is awesome. We were sent some wine glasses from our registry (Spiegeleau Vino Grande Burgundy to be exact), and without even opening the box it's clear that they were broken to ****. I couldn't find a return # (since I didn't place the order myself) and i didn't want to open the box since it was clear that glass was everywhere, so I called up customer service to see if they would just send me a return slip. The guy said don't bother and he'll just send a whole new set of replacement glasses free of charge, it's safer to just throw out the current box, and because it's a wedding thing he upgraded the shipping to 1-day free of charge. Again, awesome.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Amazon is awesome, indeed. It's really hard to talk **** about the amazon marketplace as it's giving the small guys great chances to sell, and still delivers people exactly what they want - and they have everything. Love amazon.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only other place I've bought cooking supplies from besides an actual industry warehouse. In fact, I buy many things online from them. I wish more small sellers would use them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads