Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by robbie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

made sort of a paella/bibimbap fusion.... used calasparra rice (tomato and chili paste sort of improvised gochujang/saffron/fish stock) with some kimchi/pork sausage I bought at a korean market, shrimp... namul (radish/vinegar/chili, spinach/sesame/garlic/scallion, soybean sprout), poached duck egg, olive oil.

Was your palate/imagination the genesis of this dish? Regardless, it sounds pretty impressive. How did the saffron jive with all the other ingredients?

2. SField

SField Senior member

Was your palate/imagination the genesis of this dish? Regardless, it sounds pretty impressive. How did the saffron jive with all the other ingredients?
    When I was a sous at a restaurant on the other side of the pond I actually brought this to chef and it was on the menu for a couple months. I forgot about it until I had a my spanish friend and his korean gf come over for dinner a couple weeks ago. Saffron worked well. The sausage was a bit different than what I used before in the restaurant. It was fairly sweet despite the kimchi. Saffron works fairly well.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Was starting mise en place for my meal tonight and I decided to throw out my microwave. The damned thing takes up too much counter space and the only thing I ever use it for is defrosting bagels. I have way more room now (it was a big one). [​IMG]

4. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

[​IMG]

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I've spent the last three days in the sun, grilling, getting sunburnt, getting drunk (because I convinced my boss to pay me $1 less per hour but to buy me one beer per hour), and checking out all the Chicagoland hotties. Damn good weekend.

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I've spent the last three days in the sun, grilling, getting sunburnt, getting drunk (because I convinced my boss to pay me $1 less per hour but to buy me one beer per hour), and checking out all the Chicagoland hotties. Damn good weekend.

There's a big bbq area at my building. I need to start using it.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Happy my first crack at duck confit turned out really well.

Thinking I need to do some braised oxtails next weekend.

8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Going to cook for the first time in at least a month (maybe two) today. Making the smoked scotch eggs from grilling fools. Unfortunately it will be on a gas grill used as a smoker.

9. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Happy my first crack at duck confit turned out really well. Thinking I need to do some braised oxtails next weekend.
    Will you invite for dinner when I'm in your neck of the woods? My food happiness today: strong ice coffee (93 degrees here today!) and Jersey blueberries.

10. jchosko

jchosko Senior member

The Chicagoland mothership.

My local WF had phenomenal white peaches. And absolutely fabulous, perfectly fresh and pristine bluefish.

I am also enjoying some bison grass vodka on the rocks right now.

I have a friend from Poland who used to bring back the bison grass vodka whenever she would go home for a visit. She said it was very common to mix it with a little apple juice in Poland--a great taste combination to be sure.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Will you invite for dinner when I'm in your neck of the woods?

My food happiness today: strong ice coffee (93 degrees here today!) and Jersey blueberries.

[​IMG]

12. adambparker

adambparker Senior member

13. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

I have a friend from Poland who used to bring back the bison grass vodka whenever she would go home for a visit. She said it was very common to mix it with a little apple juice in Poland--a great taste combination to be sure.

Sometimes I make a "martini" with the bison grass vodka and a little Lillet. Apple juice also sounds good.

I also like Ciroc with a few drops of very good pomegranate juice.

Flat of strawberries from the farmers' market successfully turned into about 20 jars of various jams and preserves, plus a couple quarts of ice cream, sorbet and a couple pounds for snacking. Bring on the summer fruit!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait for local peaches.

14. samus

samus Senior member

Definitely. It's called a tatanka. Delicious.

15. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Over-21 friend out of town so I bullshitted my way into buying Blue Moon w/o ID. Am mixing with lemonade for girly awesomeness.[​IMG]