1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by robbie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks for this. I've been looking for a good source for Piment d'Espelette. You can't find it in the stores here.
    Really? It is everywhere here.

2. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Really? It is everywhere here.

Nope. Even the specialty stores don't have it. I can't find Thai peppercorns anywhere, either.

3. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...elette&x=0&y=0
    So, how do I know which one of those tastes the nicest? Is it the most expensive one? Or, the one with the nicest packaging? This is one of the reasons I dislike buying things over the internet. Most stores I go to, I can at least test the product before I buy it.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

Well, that's the thing with most things concerning food or drinks. One can hardly try out prepacked things in stores before buying. I would let my gut lead. Design is important, not too cheap etc. I myself have this one. It's the one I've seen most often in speciality stores. It tastes good though I can't say whether it's very good cause I didn't taste any different yet. [​IMG]

5. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I will admit, if I can't taste test, I will usually buy whichever product has nicer packaging.

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Yep, to me this is very important, too. I sometimes wonder how silly - to me - people can be to wrap expensive food in ugly packaging... The only problem is that mediocre food in nice packaging is less good than good food in mediocre packaging.. but who knows before trying, anyway one still has something beautiful for the eyes. [​IMG]

7. itsstillmatt

So, how do I know which one of those tastes the nicest? Is it the most expensive one? Or, the one with the nicest packaging? This is one of the reasons I dislike buying things over the internet. Most stores I go to, I can at least test the product before I buy it.
    Piment d'Espelette is a small production AOC product that is not particularly subtle in taste, so there is almost no difference between best and worst. The one b1os posted is the one I generally see in the markets around us in France, and is is quite good. Just don't keep any of them longer than about a year. They fade like all spices.

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

Just be careful not to buy some "fake" product from the Spanish Basque region. They seem not to be as good as the French one... whyever... So look out for the AOC.

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    Just be careful not to buy some "fake" product from the Spanish Basque region. They seem not to be as good as the French one... whyever... So look out for the AOC.

hmmm, i'm afraid you might be talking about pimenton. that is not a "fake" product at all. in fact, smoked pimenton is one of my favorite spices. called "de la vera" it is a DOC product as well.

10. itsstillmatt

hmmm, i'm afraid you might be talking about pimenton. that is not a "fake" product at all. in fact, smoked pimenton is one of my favorite spices. called "de la vera" it is a DOC product as well.
    They aren't exactly interchangeable, but I prefer pimenton for cooking and piment for finishing. It has a more beautiful texture. I also like to use whole dried nora peppers.

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

That is just what I have read in, I think, "Der Feinschmecker". They said, the Spanish one is a substitue but due to a different - not as benificial- growing area less qualitative, though often sold as "original" piment d'espelette. Pimenton might be a good spice, no doubt, but wiki says it is grown in western Spain. So no possible mix up there.

12. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

13. stinsonbass

stinsonbass Senior member

14. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

Definitely my Ballotine and Tiramisù. Love it.

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Brand new waitress started yesterday, sold four wine pairings her first night.

I had a shitty GM cook quit on me today, which was nice b/c he was unnecessary weight.

Service staff meeting on Monday where I get to finally start showing people how to conduct proper wine service.

Things are looking up for the club!

17. Eason

Eason Senior member

18. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

The packaging of this Burrata. [​IMG]

19. b1os

b1os Senior member

This.

[​IMG]

From left to right: pistacchio pesto, prickly pear blossom honey (guess what, it already crystallized a little. on the website they say it's normal that the honey crystallizes after a few months), lime marmelade, blood orange marmelade, prickly pear marmelade, mulberry marmelade. All organic, all from Sicilia. On top: percoca napoletana in syrup. (a variety of the nectarine)