Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by robbie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I rarely re-heat leftovers but I just warmed up some rice... holy shitballs is that a good call.

2. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

I had skinless chicken wings today, made me very happy.

3. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Still though, I am noting all the places I want to eat at when I get there. [​IMG] List is well into the hundreds by now. Don't know if I'm gonna get fat, but I'm gonna try to walk or bike pretty much everywhere, drive only when it's out of the city or on big shopping trips, and never ride the train.

Care to share the list?

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Heading somewhere for dinner tonight with a buffalo tartare that's off the menu but is always ready for me when we make res's. Yum. [​IMG]

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

lol, it is a mental list, but off the top of my head, here is what I'm really looking forward to eating when I move to Japan. After a year I'll still probably feel like I've barely started.

Probably gonna have a lot of free time so I'll get time to do the big names for lunch when they're cheap - Quintessence, L'Osier, Narisawa, the Robuchon in Roppongi Hills, Gagnaire, all easy to do. I'm turning 30 this year on Christmas so we're gonna do Chateau Robuchon in Ebisu for dinner I think.

Apart from the fancy shit, I'm into south Indian food, and it seems like there's a good representation of that, you can get thali and dosa sets for like 1000Y; I like Japanese-style Chinese food; I really like Japanese western-style cooking, like beef stews, curry rice, hayashi rice, chicken baskets, the hamburg steaks and steak frites, the funky little green salads, spaghetti napolitan and there's a lot of interesting places for that kinda stuff downtown in the business districts. Last time I went to some place like that in Ginza and they had all these autographs on the wall at the register from the '50's and '60's, like Yukio Mishima and Yasunari Kawabata framed together.
    Want to try a couple of the michelin starred yakitori places, one is in Ginza and one is in Kita-senju.

I like going to the wagyu specialty places like Imahan and eating sukiyaki, I'll probably beast out on some yakiniku and do K-BBQ the Japanese way, I love tonkatsu, I like different nabes sometimes, I love yakitori, etc, etc, etc. I get less excited about the prospect of sitting down at Japanese places and eating 3 courses of pretty multi colored fish jelly or having to eat courses of fried fish skin and shit on a Monday evening, but I can get down with the meat anytime. I don't get too excited by sushi but I'll eat sushi if it's a legit place in Japan.
    Excited that they have all kinds of delivery food til late, Pizza-la has a delivery paella restaurant chain now, lol. A lot of weird stuff like that I want to try. Pizza is gonna be insane, there's tons of great neapolitan style pizza all over town and for delivery as well.

Bread is good, butter is taken seriously - they have an actual Echire butter store in Tokyo. They are not fucking around. I will be eating Echire butter on everything until I die.

Beyond all that, I am kinda excited to get all the super limited daily special stuff, like where I have to fight old housewives in a queue for things like the Super Melon Shortcake at the Hotel New Otani patisserie, cuz they only serve like 40 slices a day and people line up for it. They have a Pierre Herme next to it but the Super Melon Short is the limited edition quickstrike shit. It's all about the chase. I'm excited about going to the supermarket everyday at like 6 when they slash all the prices on perishables and people go apeshit. Some places let you get as much as you fill a plastic bag with, so you can get like 45 onions for $2 or 18 carrots for $2 at a time at those places. lol. Half of my daily life will be dedicated to the copping of food.

6. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Making Robuchon's ratatouille. Hopefully I'm happy after I taste it. [​IMG]

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Shake Shack has Ithaca Beer Co. on tap right now [​IMG]

8. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

GF has been a vegetarian for fourteen years. Having grown up on the water, I love seafood and cook it pretty well, so it's been a [​IMG] for me, even though she's extremely cool about it. She'll cook me meat dishes, never asks for accommodations, etc. Anyway, about three weeks ago I got her to eat her first bite of meat - a piece of unfortunately terribly underseasoned grouper at this speakeasy-type place on the coast.

Anyway, tonight I was messing around in the kitchen and decided to cook some excess tuna chunks in my cast-iron skillet with Jim Beam and a bit of teriyaki. Actually turned out decent, which surprised me. She had a bite and liked it.

There's hope. [​IMG]

9. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

GF has been a vegetarian for fourteen years. Having grown up on the water, I love seafood and cook it pretty well, so it's been a [​IMG] for me, even though she's extremely cool about it. She'll cook me meat dishes, never asks for accommodations, etc. Anyway, about three weeks ago I got her to eat her first bite of meat - a piece of unfortunately terribly underseasoned grouper at this speakeasy-type place on the coast. Anyway, tonight I was messing around in the kitchen and decided to cook some excess tuna chunks in my cast-iron skillet with Jim Beam and a bit of teriyaki. Actually turned out decent, which surprised me. She had a bite and liked it. There's hope. [​IMG]
    My sympathies. From experience, I know how potentially unpleasant dining with a vegetarian can be.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Salt and Vinegar chips.

12. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

GF tried a bite of salmon for the first time in her life last night. She said it was too fishy. Still....

13. impolyt_one

salmon is pretty fishy, amongst the big lumps of fish out there to eat.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

FLMM, she's trying things. This is good. Get her to try the best possible example of whatever it is she's trying though. Don't want to turn her off by a bad example of something.

15. impolyt_one

shrimp is fairly easy to for non-fish/seafood/meat eaters to eat. Go with some of that if you're gonna ease her into eating fish/anything else. Grill some up and squeeze fresh lemon juice on them, or dip/grill them in a Tunisian or Indian cilantro pesto; they'll hardly taste fishy. Then you can move on to things like white fishes, etc.