1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by robbie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

If I were you, I'd loathe myself regardless of my latest meal. So don't sweat it too much.

2 people like this.
  2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Hey eto anyone ever tell you that you are hilarious? They haven't? Oh that's because you aren't.

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Anyone ever hear from kyle anymore? What's he up to?

1 person likes this.
  4. edinatlanta

he's dating a lara croft lookalike. and still in rural midwest.

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Had to Google Lara Croft, but good for him, though I thought he would stay in Chicago or somsesuch. I wish him well.

6. edinatlanta

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

dude, you have got to up your game. that's what I was writing 15 years ago (seriously, it's in "French Fry" ... so probably more like 20). Still do wet-brine pork, but most others I prefer dry. Oh, oddly, have been converted to wet-brining some lean fish, such as halibut.

8. edinatlanta

I thought you were anti brine? Or are you anti marinade? I can't remember.

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i'm not anti anything. i love all things. in their proper context. wet-brining does introduce a lot of water that can make poultry, especially, "squishy" even after roasting. but it's good for pork, which has a firmer texture. marinades are great, even though they don't do what most people think they do -- they only season about the exterior 1/8 inch of the meat. and they don't "tenderize" ... though they will make the surface mealy and granular if there's too much acid for too long.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

do you control the time of the wet brine or do a long wet brine and then soak it in water a little?

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

if you're using the correct ratio of salt to water, there's no need to account for time or a subsequent soak. I like a 7% brine, about 2/3 cup of salt for gallon of water.

1 person likes this.
  12. edinatlanta

Welp. Thanks for crushing my dreams of starting an iFight.

13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

oh edna. sweet, failing edina.

14. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

I was able to find one of my favorite cuts of meat (hanger steak) at the Buford Hwy Farmer Market in Shitlanta. Say what you want about the city, but they have one of the most impressive grocery stores here. If I lived within an hour of this place, I'd do all my shopping here.

Cooked up the steaks with a couple cloves of garlic, a few sprigs of thyme, salt, pepper, and a whole mess of butter in my cast iron pan. Really tasty.

Also bought and tried a lot of random fruits. Mangosteen, Spanish lime, and sugar apple were my favorites.

16. edinatlanta

BuHi farmer's market is ridiculously amazing. 17 types of eggplant year round, scapes whenever, just about any spice that's available to mankind, seafood of all levels of endangerment... and then saturday afternoon samples...

17. b1os

b1os Senior member

Edmond Fallot's Balsamic & honey dijon mustard is fantastic for sandwiches.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  18. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

:wow: I did not know about this, will have to plan next trip accordingly.

19. edinatlanta

Seriously dude. You'll be full as shit afterward. And if not just go buy some of those cream puffs at the front.

20. edinatlanta

So here's my thoughts on my Seattle, Vancouver and Portland trip (because I know you were all dying to find out).

1) I am moderately sad to say that my little Nespresso machine will no longer cut it. Or it will, but rather I know it will never be able to measure up to the great espresso shots I had in those cities (I mean, I knew before that it never would. I guess now that I have some espresso preferences and seeing just how good the drinks were really crystallized how far and above a machine-pulled espresso is).

2) That said, I think coffee geeks vastly over-hype coffee and elevate it beyond what it is. Again, I had some shots that were mind-blowingly good. But espresso is an ephemeral drink. Yes it has a ton of flavor and there's a lot going on but there's nothing to it. Two sips later and you're done. Also, as I think gdl203 said, it's laughable for Europeans to think that espresso is some sort of deified beverage. You drink it because it's pleasurable and keeps you alert. If you were just going for the latter you'd drink a Monster but you want some pleasure out of it. I dunno, I side more with the Euro frogs on this one.

3) PDX really did kinda suck. Tons of sprawl, there's too many just shitty people everywhere. Seeing someone prepare a speedball in front of your car at 2:00 PM in downtown, having an 18-year-old vagrant beg at your table while walking his similarly-disheveled girlfriend with a leash. Yeah, they're not pleasant things. Oh, and the smugness. My god.

4) Vancouver was the best food city.

5) Seattle was also depressing at times.

6) I think it's OK to pay high prices for just decent food when you're sitting right on the water.

7) The farmer's market at Portland State was amazing. It's funny I was commenting on how the benefit to that one over Atlanta's markets is that we have something like 35 markets on any given Saturday so we divide up all the providers. We could easily have something of that size but still the overall depth of the market was hard to beat.

8) Montana has better cherries and berries than the PNW. I remember being in MT in late July a few years ago. $2 for a half gallon of huckleberries? $5 for a ton of ranier cherries? Then drive down a mile and get some quality jerky?

9) Voodoo donuts was kind of fucking stupid. Also, all the donut craze is stupid. People flip their lids because the toppings are good but there's so fucking much on all of them that it's ridiculous. I will admit that the donut at VD was actually really excellent. But I couldn't even eat half of it because there was just so much. And I have an iron, gluttonous stomach.

10) Put on about eight pounds in nine days. The good news is I already burned most off (thanks ridiculously fast metabolism!).

On another unrelated note: good god do I hate internet food writing. No one gives a shit about some fucking story that's at best incidental to the dish. (Well, they do, obviously but those people are stupid).

Also, reading some of the vegan blogs... holy fuck you people sound miserable. "You can't do X so do A for something similar" "the market just doesn't want to provide quality, natural products for people who want to eat healthy!" For fuck's sake, I eat pretty healthy but I also don't turn food into some evil or spend hours of my life working around what I can and can't eat. I'd say I hit a pretty perfect sweet spot of deriving pleasure from food while eating well (probably a bit too biased toward the former but whatever).