1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by robbie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

if you have the Ad Hoc book, try the poached salmon recipe (keep it raw in the middle). Soooo good.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

urwhite.

3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I'm pretty tan right now. And I have no need for a stroller.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  4. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

What differences should be noticed here? I just see that the one on the right is larger and more orange.

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

color. Food people like to get boners over how deeply colored the yolk is (it all stems from a chicken's diet).

1 person likes this.
  6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Is one better than the other?

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

the farm egg had more of a creamy texture, you can see that the yolk has a little less structure to it. Not sure if this is due to freshness or something else.

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

You're telling me the $7 eggs didn't come from some open range, cage free, no-antiobiotic using farm??

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

[quote name="gomestar" url="/t/183690/things-that-are-making-you-happy-food-and-drink-edition/3250_50#post_7937313" you can see that the yolk has a little less structure to it. Not sure if this is due to freshness ....[/quote]

This

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I've got five packets of two legs each becoming duck confit right now. I've found pre-made confit is a pretty damn easy work night meal.

2 people like this.
  11. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

I recently made my own and way oversalted it. Then bought some from a butcher's shop and it was quite good and convenient. But it tasted similar enough to freshly roasted chicken thigh that I find the main appeal to be convenience (work day meal as you said) rather than some amazing flavor. Am I in the minority here?

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I don't think it tastes like chicken at all

1 person likes this.
  13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You are in the minority.

Did you not wash the salt off before poaching it?

14. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

Mine was just a failure -- I washed it off but somehow it was still way too salty. I used a combination of table salt and coarse kosher salt and cured it a bit too long (36 hours). I was also using Pekin duck, so the thigh was smaller, and it was more of a braise than a poach. I think these all combined to cause the extra saltiness.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  15. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

So I roasted a chicken today... it tasted nothing like the duck confit [​IMG]. My memory apparently just sucks, but I could have sworn the first time I'd roasted chicken in a while, it tasted quite similar. I guess I just remembered the good feels instead of the flavor.

But the recent comparison showed that duck confit is just way superior. This has ended my recent love affair with roast chicken, and fueled my much more permanent infatuation with duck. Now I know what my next D'Artagnan order is going to be!

@Piobaire are you using Moulard or Pekin duck?

16. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

don't be foolishly reductionist. it's not either/or. enjoy both in the way they're intended -- confit is best (IMHO) as an ingredient -- with salads, in stews ... something to cut the rich flavor and fat. Roast chicken is simply the best easy home meal ever.

1 person likes this.
  17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I haven't roasted a chicken in a while. No excuse.

one of the last times I made it, the uncooked chicken was in a bag on the counter, and I ran out real quick to get some wine. Came home and found the dog eating the chicken in the living room. She got to a whole leg. Since it was like a $25 bird, I still roasted and ate the damn thing.

18. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

the chicken or the dog?

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

well, at the time, the dog was all skin and bones (she went from 45 lbs to 65 lbs), so she would have made for a crappy roast.

but no, I didn't yell at the dog. Every ounce of her instinct said jump up and grab that awesome chicken.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015