1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by robbie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Duck ragout flavored with red wine, black cardamom, chocolate and porcini.

2 people like this.
  2. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Looks and sounds amazing.

3. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Thanks. First time making something like this. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I pulled this up on my Surface as I was sitting in a board room prepping for a meeting I really did not want to have. It reminded me how much my life sucks compared to the lives of others.

5. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm not going to be eating any of it.

6. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I think the key was letting the duck legs sit for a day in the braising juices before deboning the meat. Kept it super moist, and allowed the flavors to develop. The cardamom added a very nice spice to the juice. I think I will finish with basil for the touch of sweetness.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  7. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Nope. You were still making tasty food and I was still stuck being middle aged.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

What's the event for and how big? Do you cook to order or is it mostly prepped beforehand?

10. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Wine dinner for members of Chaîne des Rôtisseurs. Most everything is prepped beforehand, of course all pasta/proteins cooked at service.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Do you have cooks that work with you? Or is this like a one man thing with a bunch of servers?

I like the menu choices a lot.

12. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Whoa. Feel full just looking at this!

Would never have thought of cardamon, but what a good choice.

13. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I cook. I have girls that serve.

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

meh on the wine. hope they're old (the people)

15. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Drop by with your tasting cup and offer advice.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i may cough as much as the old people, but i also have a fever.

17. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

then you'll fit right in

18. b1os

b1os Senior member

19. b1os

b1os Senior member

Really happy with it. Took me a long time to actually get one. "Western" (220 V) models are quite rare and hardly available in Europe. I actually had to order mine from Japan. Ordered it from a shop that only sells them "over the counter", but ordering was possible and they shipped it. Low shipment costs, relatively low price. Cost me 150 € + 35 € duties/taxes. Same thing ordered from amazon.de marketplace would've been 240 € + 55 € duties/taxes. It's the high voltage version of the NS-LAC05XA (which runs for 130 USD on amazon.com .. lucky you!).
    I've only been cooking Japanese short/mid grain rice. Ultra premium Akitakomachi rice, grown in Japan, and brown Nishiki rice grown in Cali. The former still takes some getting used to when consumed with non-traditional Japanese dishes. Quite soft, very sweet. The latter is fantastic. Nutty and not quite as soft. I'll receive a shipment of more rice (and algaes, and katsuobushi flakes, and other stuff like shiro/genmai/hatcho miso and umeboshi) tomorrow, including some more Nishiki brown rice, 5 kg of Tama Nishiki white rice and 2 kg of Kagayaki Genmai brown rice. I'll also get some steel-cut oats tomorrow and try porridge with the Zojirushi, which, apparently, makes fantastic porridge. I've been making a rice-"porridge" with the regular brown rice setting (not the "rice porridge" setting) and Nishiki brown rice, some grated apple and sesame seeds. Really good.
    Oh yeah, I love the timer.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  20. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

^ My mom started using one of those a while back and she refuses to make rice in anything else. I'm guessing it must be a pretty good appliance since Koreans are fairly serious about rice.