1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by robbie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Thanks to you guys, I just craved apples and went out at 10 pm to buy a few honeycrunchs, a fuji and a gala.

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Really? You feel dizzy after eating a honeycrisp?

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I understand New York State to fortunately still be a source for a number of the old heritage brands. Mind, not all those are great eating apples by modern standards but love that they are still to be found.

Minnesota has a similar legacy of apple cultivation but alas many growers supply the same three-five varieties. There are a couple of exceptions - the orchard we frequent grows about two dozen varieties. Some very limited... best I had this year was their "Duchess of Oldenburg" - a late-August apple.

Overall, our apple season was sub-par. Late freeze last Spring. Fall drought and early freeze.

BTW- Did you know Honeycrisp was cultivated for 30 years before it was ready for release?

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

that's actually fairly typical for tree fruit development. one guy i talked to compared it to medieval cathedral building -- usually the people who release the new variety were the students of the people who first developed it.

5. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Tasmanian Leatherwood honey.

7. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

8. alexg

alexg Senior member

Any idea where I can order that? I'm considering it as a Christmas gift for my mom, but I'm not finding it anywhere.

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

Hell, I can't even get it in Berlin or Hamburg (or at least they won't tell me where I can get it other than ordering directly from them...).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  10. alexg

alexg Senior member

I found it here. I think that's the only place to actually have it in stock, I've never bought anything from them or even heard of them though, and I have no idea how the prices are.

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

[​IMG]

FWIW, this is their price list. Shipment is 7.70 € (or, you know, order for 600 € and it's free :satisfied:).
    So yeah, markup is huge (9 € vs USD 36, if they're the same products, which I assume). But then again, it's (I think) a small company and not much gets exported.

I've just sent an e-mail to them asking for US shops that stock their items. I'll get back to you once they answer.

12. alexg

alexg Senior member

Thanks a lot. That's pretty much half the price the store here is charging, although at the same time I don't know if I'd trust it getting here from Germany by Christmas. Hopefully there's a cheaper American store.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Don't underestimate shipment costs from Germany. The cheapest quotes are 16/36€ (via DHL; 2/5 kg)--or 7€ up to 1 kg. UPS is charging like 80€ for a tiny package--or at least that's what I was quoted when I used their confusing online calculator. That's why I didn't participate in this year's Secret Santa, or Secret Beer Santa. :( Either way, if someone wants to get proxied something, feel free to pm me. For example tonka beans. It'll likely get through your customs. :p

Shipment from Germany to the US is actually quite fast (1 week or so when I shipped some fragrance samples to L'Inc). Shipment from the US to Germany is very slow (damn slow and at the same time very inaccurate (harms just them, fortunately) German customs).

14. alexg

alexg Senior member

Oh, the shipment cost you said wasn't the international one? OK, then it's definitely worth ordering from America. I only want one, maybe two bottles, no sense paying $70 to ship them.

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

sO ON the one hand i chuckled but on the other... he waited for a long time before asking for time off, he knew ahead of time he would have to work on Christmas and I would imagine only the dumbest of dolts would think they can work in the hospitality biz and get holidays off.

http://cheezburger.com/141317

16. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

17. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Got this book recently, it's excellent.

[​IMG]

18. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

foodguy endorses this message.

19. b1os

b1os Senior member

No answer so far. They don't seem to enjoy communicating with customers (their last answers were one-liners too).

20. alexg

alexg Senior member

Seems to be that way with a lot of small companies like that. I guess they make so little that they know they'll be able to sell it no matter what. I just bought the totally overpriced bottles from the one store I found. I got tomato and honey chestnut, and my mother was very happy with both. She texted me yesterday that she used the honey chestnut on roasted potatoes and I had to try it.

On the subject of things making me happy, Amedei chocolate is being imported to America again. The supermarket near me has like 10 different kinds, no Porcelana though that I saw. It's been years since I've had anything from them though, and their white chocolate with pistachios is crazy good, as is the Blanco de Criollo.