1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by robbie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

OK, Matt's mention of it made me realize that the oysters and pearls were in fact way better than the foie. Which was still delicious, but oysters and pearls was unbelievable.

2. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

Isn't the most offensive thing about the foie still the fact that he charges a $40 supplement for like $3 of foie gras?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

this is right in line with the wine up charge. problems?

4. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I can sort of understand why a restaurant like that would need supplements and obscene markups. I mean, what's the rent like in the Time Warner building? The time and labor that goes into each dinner service, etc. So I really have no problem with them charging whatever they like. Anyway, isn't that bass and caviar dish at L'Ambroisie like the same cost of the entire tasting menu at Per Se? I was just upset that I payed their prices and received what I felt was a less than excellent meal.

5. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

I guess it's just off-putting because it seems like more of a fuck you because I can and foie gras sounds like it should be super expensive more than it actually costing significantly more money than some of the other things that they serve (but yes, good for them if people will pay it). But, never been, don't really have plans to go, so no skin off my back.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i know the pricey rent is a big part of those markups, but that doesn't mean i'm happy about it.

"look guy, we're at the 4th floor of a mall (we're right above JCrew for god's sake!!), and if it weren't dark at dinner time, we could see a low-level view of Central Park. Surely that's worth 200%."

7. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

I'm pretty sure he got a sweetheart deal from the developer in order to lure him into that complex. Maybe that's expired at this point though.

8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

perhaps. i know a big part of the lure was to have another top notch place on the same floor, so when Masa signed, TK was in. Body Shop was quick to follow.

1 person likes this.
  9. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

Hideki Ishikawa had one of the funnier reactions I've ever seen when I asked him about Masa.

10. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Yeah. The whole going up an escalator in a mall, dressed in a suit, to drop enough money to pay for a shitty used car on a meal, is a little off-putting.

11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

EMP, in my opinion, has the best location of any 4* restaurant. Both the location and setting are awesome.

1 person likes this.
  12. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Yeah. Beautiful building. Shame about the card tricks and carrot.

1 person likes this.
  13. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

You're okay with farmed fish though?

14. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I actually thought they would have dropped the magic by now, but according to a recent Yelp review (prepare to cringe):

15. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

Whoever came up with this idea should have their carrot ground into minced amazingness.

2 people like this.
  16. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Haha. I hate this restaurant.

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

while at Bras, we did order a picnic basket to go. No dirty water dog vendors though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

gargouillou to go?

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yes. it's hard to describe how great that dish is. even in a paper takeout bowl.

20. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

I'm going to bring some tweezers to the whole foods salad bar and see how long it takes me to get kicked out trying to recreate that.