• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Are you a dinner stage? Mid-afternoon til midnight or so?

I will tell you this: On your very first day, when service is over, they are going to offer you to go home or to stay and help clean up. This is not really an offer. It is a test. Stay as late as the rest of the cooks do.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Holy wine markups! that Markham merlot that they pour for $15 is my house merlot..... :confused: Pretty nice list, though. Markups are weird, though. some are very low and some are ridiculously high.
Case in point:
810 – Domaine Marquis d’Angerville Volnay 1er Cru 2008 – Burgundy, France – 120
803 – Napa Cellars Pinot Noir 2009 – Napa Valley, USA – 52

I haven't looked at that list, but Manton and I chatted about the list at Per Se again this week. And once again I thought I found a fairly good value, a grand cru Chablis that, while being a "no name" producer, was around $130 a bottle. But once again, I was foiled by the "half bottle" side of the list :fu:

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you a dinner stage? Mid-afternoon til midnight or so?
I will tell you this: On your very first day, when service is over, they are going to offer you to go home or to stay and help clean up. This is not really an offer. It is a test. Stay as late as the rest of the cooks do.

I believe that's what I signed up for. I'm actually not sure when he wants me there. I will know for certain Sunday.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MGM, I took a look at their menu, and I'd like to write your prep list for the first three days, so you can have a game plan heading into work:
Cutting onions and fennel for the chowder
Cleaning mesclun greens and endive for salads
Getting the pomegranate seeds out of pomegranate
Cutting mushrooms for the risotto
Cleaning spinach for squash rav
Cutting veg for cioppino
Breaking down brussell sprouts
Cutting parsnips for puree
Cutting potatoes for puree
Cutting veg for duck hash
Cutting potatoes for chips
:slayer: welcome to your first stage. Try not to cut yourself.

You probably already know how to do this, but I find it the most effective and quick way to accomplish the task: [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I knew that. Learned it the hard way at Cyrus. After making three beautiful, crisp chef whites into violet-stained messes. I actually think it's a lot easier if you have a large bucket that you can completely put your hand into, that way when the juice splatters it only splatters on the side of the bucket.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

MGM, I took a look at their menu, and I'd like to write your prep list for the first three days, so you can have a game plan heading into work:
Cutting onions and fennel for the chowder
Cleaning mesclun greens and endive for salads
Getting the pomegranate seeds out of pomegranate
Cutting mushrooms for the risotto
Cleaning spinach for squash rav
Cutting veg for cioppino
Breaking down brussell sprouts
Cutting parsnips for puree
Cutting potatoes for puree
Cutting veg for duck hash
Cutting potatoes for chips
:slayer: welcome to your first stage. Try not to cut yourself.

What about tying vegetables in chives?

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I knew that. Learned it the hard way at Cyrus. After making three beautiful, crisp chef whites into violet-stained messes. I actually think it's a lot easier if you have a large bucket that you can completely put your hand into, that way when the juice splatters it only splatters on the side of the bucket.

Would it be a bad idea for me to bring my Nenox on the first day? Not sure what kind of knife Chef uses yet. Could be awkward.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Western style Japanese knives add too much salt to the food. You should go outfit yourself at Korin with Usuba, Deba, Yanagi, and Kiritsuke. That should get you through day 1 at least.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Would it be a bad idea for me to bring my Nenox on the first day? Not sure what kind of knife Chef uses yet. Could be awkward.

Do not bring your Nenox.

I don't want you to take any personal offense to this because none is meant, but I also want to be honest: you don't want to look like a rich kid on a working vacation.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do not bring your Nenox.
I don't want you to take any personal offense to this because none is meant, but I also want to be honest: you don't want to look like a rich kid on a working vacation.

That's what I was thinking.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I just spent an hour thumbing through the two volume "Notes from a Kitchen". I wasn't sure whether to put it in the 'happy' or 'pissed off' column, but really what's not to like about a beautiful book and chefs talking about their love of food. Well, ok, it pretty much triggered my "hipster fed up with hipsters" reflex which automatically takes me out of the moment but that happens every few hours for me anyways.

I happen to know the author. Good guy.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You probably already know how to do this, but I find it the most effective and quick way to accomplish the task: [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

there's another technique that works really well, too. Clean them in a bowl of water. the pith floats, the seeds sink. and no juice on your clothes.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I don't Yelp. I don't post on Yelp, I don't use Yelp to help me pick a new place, I never read Yelp unless I get directed there by someone I know.

I was directed to a fresh review by the owner of one of my favorite places about his place. It was a bad review. In part:

The food was not as good as expected... They brought out a complimentary starter that consisted of pulled pork that was cooked in its own fat. Very heavy on the fat.

Needless to say, that was a nice little mason jar of pork rillettes.

:facepalm:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads