1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by robbie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Nil

Nil Senior member

Oh hai guiz.

[​IMG]

So what say you, is it worth it? I'm thinking of getting some new pans to replace my random assortment of mediocre ones and I'm intrigued.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So what say you, is it worth it? I'm thinking of getting some new pans to replace my random assortment of mediocre ones and I'm intrigued.

I think you should check with Matt. I haven't used that enough yet to consider it properly seasoned so do not feel qualified to answer.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Eggs florentine for a late breakfast. [​IMG]

4. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

The increasing popularity of cava and other sparkling wines besides champagnes, generally.

5. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

started off with a can of Kosher chicken noodle soup. Added some dried spices, fresh rosemary, maldon sea salt, and a couple drops of olive oil on top in the mug.

Now it is tasty.

You added salt to a kosher meat product?

What's making me happy today? A perfect smoked duck breast sandwich.

6. Cordwinder

Cordwinder Senior member

The bartender/manager at my regular bar hangout left and now has own place opened.

Any suggestion on what I should get him as a gift?
    I've seen flowers with congratulation cards outside newly opened bar/restaurants. Anything else I can get?

I am happy that I can get good drinks again but didn't think my question was worth starting a separate thread for.

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

The bartender/manager at my regular bar hangout left and now has own place opened.

Any suggestion on what I should get him as a gift?
    I've seen flowers with congratulation cards outside newly opened bar/restaurants. Anything else I can get?

I am happy that I can get good drinks again but didn't think my question was worth starting a separate thread for.

Surely there is a Japanese etiquette thing that dictates the kind of proper gift for a situation like this? I'm not sure what it'd be tbh, but I feel like there is something appropriate for this occasion. The large flower displays tend to come from the larger entities who will stand to benefit from the business, and not patrons.

9. SField

SField Senior member

Surely there is a Japanese etiquette thing that dictates the kind of proper gift for a situation like this? I'm not sure what it'd be tbh, but I feel like there is something appropriate for this occasion. The large flower displays tend to come from the larger entities who will stand to benefit from the business, and not patrons.

Best thing you can do for a new restaurant owner, rather than giving them a gift they are going to have absolutely no time to use or enjoy for the next 5 years, is to be a faithful patron of their restaurant and to give good feedback. Bring people in with you. That would be much appreciated.

10. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

nice plate of spicy wings

11. Nil

Nil Senior member

12. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

14. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I just made a transcendent chicken salad sandwich, probably the greatest the world has seen. I just started throwing things together and it kept getting better.

chicken
    mayo
    olive oil
    red onion
    shallot
    spinach
    cilantro
    white wine vinegar
    parmesan cheese
    lemon juice
    garlic
    celery seed
    coriander seed
    salt
    pepper

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

man I <3 pho right now. Currently finishing off this salty beefy noodly soupy thing and my heart sings with joy.

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

man I <3 pho right now. Currently finishing off this salty beefy noodly soupy thing and my heart sings with joy.

Pho is awesome. [​IMG] And such a great value. Big ass bowl of noodles, meat, and broth for l$6 here.

17. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I just made a transcendent chicken salad sandwich, probably the greatest the world has seen. I just started throwing things together and it kept getting better.

chicken
    mayo
    olive oil
    red onion
    shallot
    spinach
    cilantro
    white wine vinegar
    parmesan cheese
    lemon juice
    garlic
    celery seed
    coriander seed
    salt
    pepper

[​IMG]

18. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

So I'm head of the Party Planning Committee at work (straight up, this some The Office type shit) and we got this lunch from some new lunch place.

Was expecting it to be standard foodservice fare but shit was actually really good.

19. Nil

Nil Senior member

One of my favorite local burger places just switched up to duck fat fries.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

New Crystal Light flavor! [​IMG]