Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by robbie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

random, and I haven't eaten it in like a week or more, but tempura baby corn (as in fresh little cobs, not from a can) is great. Get on my level.

2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

if fresh that sounds delicious... those little canned corns are terrible! :spew:

3. Kid Nickels

[​IMG]

these are Koulourakia (or Koulouria) a traditional Greek cookie usually served at Easter, but my family always makes them for Christmas as well. Last week my Grandmother finally taught me her traditional recipe of which I am now the official family "keeper of the cookie knowledge". I made at least 500 or so last week and have already eaten a good 4-5 dozen!

btw, if you're interested, most recipes call for vanilla or orange flavoring which totally suck... I'll tell you one thing about my secret recipe... they're made with pure, concentrated anise oil all the way.

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

that sounds amazing. actually, i think anise AND orange would be terrific. and lucky you for having been taught the technique.

5. Kid Nickels

thanks! After all that practice I was channeling a few of my Greek ancestors rolling them two at a time... one in each hand. Needless to say my Grandmother was pleased and impressed.

It seems many people in the states are put off by anise which they associate with black liquorice... but the flavorings are actually two entirely different things. The cookie is crisp on the outside, and slightly crumbly within.... great with coffee, tea, or my favorite...egg nog! Not sure where you are located, but if there are any Greek bakeries I would strongly recommend a visit. Handmade only.. the machine made ones are (unsurprisingly) terrible.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

americans tend to like cookies with big flavors ... sugar, chocolate, royal icing, etc. i do too (as a proud american). but i also really like those biscuit-y cookies you find in europe. i guess shortbreads would be the ne plus ultra of the category, but mainly cookies that taste basically like flour and fat ...

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

+1

I've got a question for you as it seems you are Greek. When I visited Greece some time back (Kykladen, Donoùssa), we had some sort of dessert that was something like fried dough (similar to Quarkkrapfen, just much smaller) and garnished with honey plus sesame or so. Do you know what I mean? I wasn't able to find it in the interwebs.

So.. just returned from visiting my grandmother who turned 80. Went to Heidelberg, as always when I'm down there and visited a nice chocolaterie/epicerie (it actually is called L'Epicerie). Too lazy to take pics, but here's what I got:

Some tonka beans - thought they were more expensive. 6 for 1.50€. I really like the smell. Looking forward to using it someday.

Penja pepper. It was the one that smelled the best to me from the 10 peppers they've had and I wanted to try something different as we always use the same "normal" pepper. How do you like penja pepper?

Then some chocolates:

Domori Porcelana (on the left, not my pic)
    [​IMG]

While it certainly is a well crafted chocolate, it has the same taste in it that I already didn't liked in the 100%. It's far too dry, too ashy. Would not buy again.

Idilio Origins porcellana
    [​IMG]

This one has less ashyness than the domori, but it still is there. Amedei's porcelana is superior to both. However, Idilio origins is the first Swiss chocolatier that made a good high-end chocolate in a long time. It is very good value! I paid 7,80€ for 80g, so roughly 10€ for 100g. Domori is about 16€/100g. Amedei 20€.

Pralus Chuao
    [​IMG]

Great chocolate! Try it if you have the chance to.

And some Domori D-Fusion assortment. Just tried one that was milk chocolate-based (javagrey). Nothing special, to me. Looking forward to the >60% ones.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

Ah, what I forgot, I also bought some Elisen Lebkuchen - the best ones out there. Tried a dozen bakeries/patisseries here in Hamburg, they all are inferior!

10. Kid Nickels

It was probably loukoumades... some variations of personal preference would include sesame seeds, or cinnamon/ powdered sugar, even pistachios or walnuts. and yeah they are similar to the quarkkrapfen or even gulab jamun. It seems many cultures have similar desserts of the delicious fried dough variety!

[​IMG]

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i swear every culture has their own version of fried dough sweetened with something and noodle soup

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

And their own fish cakes.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Thank you very much! A restless search has ended. Now that I think of it, I think they added a little cinnamon, too. I loved them - they were very delicious. Funny thing is that there is a Turkish restaurant here in Hamburg that's called Lokma (which is the Turkish word for loukoumades).
    Now back to dogs.

14. Kid Nickels

ya no worries... glad to help. Trust me i'm well aware of the delicious/dangerous nexus of desserts! I usually can't stop eating them until I start feeling ill! :embar:

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

it's always puzzled me why some cuisines get a lot of attention and others get ignored. Greek and Spanish come most immediately to mind (though Spanish is getting better). if we could convert half of the faux-trattorias to tavernas, the us would be a richer place.