• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
****** grout ain't gonna make a shower leak through the ceiling

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Actually, it can. Ask me how I know.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This ****** rental, that really sounds like a shack of a house, is across the street from a piece of property where the owners are building sunrooms, decks, and getting landscaping done?

It’s in a neighborhood of starter homes built in the mid-70s. The house across the street was flipped about a year ago. This one hasn’t had any major renovations.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too. ?
A mortar or mud shower pan is a hand-built shower base constructed from dry pack mortar. The shower pan forms the floor of the shower and is typically finished with a tile surface and sloped to a built-in shower drain. A shower pan is traditionally constructed in two layers with an embedded water-proof membrane or layer in the middle. This middle layer serves the special purpose of redirecting any shower wastewater that has passed through the surface of the shower floor back into the drain.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Key word, surface. Not wall. Our grout (which was improperly installed as the wrong product was used) cracked at the joint of the tile wall and the fiberglass basin. Water worked its way through and made its way to the ceiling below. Had a guy come and rip out the old grout (I tried but didnt have the right tools) and install flexible caulking (the right product).

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A mortar or mud shower pan is a hand-built shower base constructed from dry pack mortar. The shower pan forms the floor of the shower and is typically finished with a tile surface and sloped to a built-in shower drain. A shower pan is traditionally constructed in two layers with an embedded water-proof membrane or layer in the middle. This middle layer serves the special purpose of redirecting any shower wastewater that has passed through the surface of the shower floor back into the drain.

Did they do that in the '70s, too?

I'm pretty sure this is a tile issue. The shower pan has rounded inside corner tiles around the edges, and the center part is raised up and separated from those tiles (not sure if that's by design or not), so there is a channel around the edges. The water doesn't flow to the drain.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My last house had 5/16 copper pipes. Some weird thing from the ‘50s after the double you double you eye eye. Was a pain in the keyster to repair.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
In our case it was after moving into the Piob Palace and it became apparent the grout in the corner of the soap alcove for the master shower had cracked. We've got all kinds of shower heads and the water was dripping in behind. I noticed the bottom of the wall in the room on the other side was damp. 2k to have things ripped out, treated to prevent black mold, plastered back up...and of course had the entire soap alcove removed, regrouted, and covered with a nice silicone sealer.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they do that in the '70s, too?

I'm pretty sure this is a tile issue. The shower pan has rounded inside corner tiles around the edges, and the center part is raised up and separated from those tiles (not sure if that's by design or not), so there is a channel around the edges. The water doesn't flow to the drain.
I was a steamfitter/welder by trade but back in the early '70s I took a job from the hall to this small plumbing shop. I ended up working for this guy's mostly 2 man shop for 4 yrs. We put down sloped dry pack mortar to just below the weep holes on the lower part of the drain then hot mopped that with tar and up the sides. The tile guys came in and floated the next lift to the drain and finished flush with tile and grout. Thats how union plumbers did it and according to Crazy Harry my boss, had always done it. Those F***ers did not leak even if you busted the tile out.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In our case it was after moving into the Piob Palace and it became apparent the grout in the corner of the soap alcove for the master shower had cracked. We've got all kinds of shower heads and the water was dripping in behind. I noticed the bottom of the wall in the room on the other side was damp. 2k to have things ripped out, treated to prevent black mold, plastered back up...and of course had the entire soap alcove removed, regrouted, and covered with a nice silicone sealer.
I see that. I was thinking shower floor. Thats why we always said " Don't put more holes in the boat than you need."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads