• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are myriad ways to identify oneself as an ill informed outsider in the south. Mispronouncing pecan is a primary one.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve always said PEE-can. ?‍♂️

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad always said a peecan is what you take on the boat when you go fishing.

I've been fishing for decades and always piss of the side of the boat. A peecan is gross, unless used during sex.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
trying to imagine why i would pee in a can rather than off the side of the boat, i guess so i can accidentally sip it later?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Southwest has basically gotten to the point where they are just a normal airline with "good seat" fees instead of checked bag fees.

Even with an on-time checkin, seems like you never get a low number. Everyone either has status or pays for Early Bird. I just checked in now as early as possible--clicking the link repeatedly until it goes through--and got B59.

Early bird fees are 15-25 each way. The "free" checked bags are nice, but given how often I want to check bags vs how often I want a non-****** seat (always), I'd rather just fly a normal airline and pay the $30 when needed.

They don't even give you priority status with their credit card. I have the basic United card and that waives checked bag fees on every flight. My GF booked this with her southwest card and they don't give you **** besides extra points.

Their only redeeming quality at this point seems to be that they still let you cancel flights without onerous penalties.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Southwest has basically gotten to the point where they are just a normal airline with "good seat" fees instead of checked bag fees.

Even with an on-time checkin, seems like you never get a low number. Everyone either has status or pays for Early Bird. I just checked in now as early as possible--clicking the link repeatedly until it goes through--and got B59.

Early bird fees are 15-25 each way. The "free" checked bags are nice, but given how often I want to check bags vs how often I want a non-****** seat (always), I'd rather just fly a normal airline and pay the $30 when needed.

They don't even give you priority status with their credit card. I have the basic United card and that waives checked bag fees on every flight. My GF booked this with her southwest card and they don't give you **** besides extra points.

Their only redeeming quality at this point seems to be that they still let you cancel flights without onerous penalties.

Except those points can get you free unlimited companion tickets. My wife did one of the card sign up bonuses, and for 18 months, I was able to fly with her for free.

The only time I've gotten truly crappy seats is when I didn't check in until late.

I just flew American where they kicked me from my mediocre seats to ****** middle seats for no apparent reason.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I suspect I am also a victim of connecting passengers here.

Connections get to check in as of their first leg...and since southwest doesn't do many long-hauls and this is a flight to the bay area, there are probably a lot of passengers coming from the east coast who got to check in a couple of hours early.

Of course, if they also have status or pay for early bird, that just means I will end up behind them even if I pay up...I'd get to check in 36 hours early, but they'd be checking in 2 hours before that.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I suspect I am also a victim of connecting passengers here.

Connections get to check in as of their first leg...and since southwest doesn't do many long-hauls and this is a flight to the bay area, there are probably a lot of passengers coming from the east coast who got to check in a couple of hours early.

Of course, if they also have status or pay for early bird, that just means I will end up behind them even if I pay up...I'd get to check in 36 hours early, but they'd be checking in 2 hours before that.

I think the primary area you get screwed is if there are a lot of people that were on that plane already. IE you're going MDW > SJC, but the plane went BWI > MDW > SJC. All of the people going all the way to SJC get to change seats before anyone boards.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the primary area you get screwed is if there are a lot of people that were on that plane already. IE you're going MDW > SJC, but the plane went BWI > MDW > SJC. All of the people going all the way to SJC get to change seats before anyone boards.
Ugh, that'd be even worse. You get a low boarding number, only to get on the plane and find all of the seats already full.

Luckily this plane is coming from STL and it looks like there are a lot of better options for STL>OAK than going through MDW. One direct flight, and several several denver connecitons that save 30-60min. Plus directs into both SJC and SFO.

Who knew St. Louis had so many bay area direct flight options? I would have guessed they were solidly in connection-land. I guess Southwest started using them as a hub.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads