• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah probably a mix of speculation ( i've def seen it happen where an artist bubbles up in the marketplace - especially if piece is somehow important in the oeuvre ) plus maybe they got a favorable auction price for what they consider to be the quality , and then probably trying to work towards a flip horizon but if it happens tomorrow well why not ?

there's not really *value add* in speculation

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the high-end of the auction's estimated value for the artwork was less than what the dealer paid (including buyers premium). So the joke's on the dealer unless he knows more than the auction. Which is doubtful. The work is a very nice representation of this particular artist's oeuvre (which is why I bid on it), but it's not iconic. Who knows, maybe there's someone out there who missed the original auction and has to have it regardless of cost. I guess what chaps my hide more than anything is that the work didn't go to a collector who will keep it and love it.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there was a funny incident in the thrift threak where one of the gang finds john wayne's mug from the set of one of his big movies ( maybe stagecoach ? not sure ) anyways these are highly desirable , the cast and crew would get souvenir mugs for the sets but john wayne's were personalized ( it says 'the duke' on one side lol )

so anyways he takes the mug to a forum where these collectors live and he gets a private offer for 10k . for a mug . but he gets dollar sign eyes and ends up auctioning the mug and the dude who offered him 10k ends up getting it for like 6k . lol !

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several months ago, I stupidly yanked my earphones out of my ears after a Zoom call (as I have done many times before) and the rubber tip lodged in my right ear canal. I didn't want to risk pressing the tip further down the canal, so I went to my local One Medical office down the street to get it removed. The nurse located the tip and pulled it out of my ear in five seconds with tweezers. I paid a $25 co-pay and thought that was the end of the story. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I got hit by a bill of over $200 for this procedure that cost $420 (the difference being paid by insurance), including $185 for a "new patient office visit" because this was the first time I had visited this particular location. Thanks One Medical!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Several months ago, I stupidly yanked my earphones out of my ears after a Zoom call (as I have done many times before) and the rubber tip lodged in my right ear canal. I didn't want to risk pressing the tip further down the canal, so I went to my local One Medical office down the street to get it removed. The nurse located the tip and pulled it out of my ear in five seconds with tweezers. I paid a $25 co-pay and thought that was the end of the story. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I got hit by a bill of over $200 for this procedure that cost $420 (the difference being paid by insurance), including $185 for a "new patient office visit" because this was the first time I had visited this particular location. Thanks One Medical!
All that for just the tip huh?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You hire a lawyer to handle your parking tickets?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like you could probably push back on the validity of those charges.

What did they do for you that was different from a current patient? Sure doesn’t sound like they did any sort of exam.

Probably had to fill out extra paperwork as a new patient, but IIRC they can’t bill for that as it is not a medical service performed by a licensed medical professional.

Maybe try your insurance first—they typically don’t like paying for procedures that didn’t actually occur.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so anyways he takes the mug to a forum where these collectors live and he gets a private offer for 10k . for a mug . but he gets dollar sign eyes and ends up auctioning the mug and the dude who offered him 10k ends up getting it for like 6k . lol !
Exactly what KG did in Uncut Gems.

kg.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To be fair, I've had the opposite happen with ebay items.

Post an auction (either without a BIN or with a high BIN), get a request to sell it now for a fixed price...reject it and item ends up selling for double their offer.

For items with arbitrary values, hard to know for sure. Auction should be the best mechanism for price discovery in theory, but it will only tell you the willingness to pay of the SECOND highest bidder which could be far from that of the high bidder in a thin market.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads