• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

brokencycle

Reaction score

7MZYBRWHFFBVPF2UFOLIJUPQN4.jpg

So you want me to believe that aliens can travel across solar systems or galaxies, but they regularly crash on earth and leave lots of debris that international community is fighting over getting their hands on?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I lost a bidding war for an artwork on the Artsy website. Fast forward to today, the artwork shows up again on Artsy. It was purchased by a German art dealer who is attempting to flip the work for over $7,000 more than he paid for it. It's one thing if an internet seller resells goods purchased from brick and mortar stores that are unavailable to his customers. It's quite another if the seller buys from an internet source available to everyone and adds no value in reselling.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I lost a bidding war for an artwork on the Artsy website. Fast forward to today, the artwork shows up again on Artsy. It was purchased by a German art dealer who is attempting to flip the work for over $7,000 more than he paid for it. It's one thing if an internet seller resells goods purchased from brick and mortar stores that are unavailable to his customers. It's quite another if the seller buys from an internet source available to everyone and adds no value in reselling.
Not sure I get this. The dealer saw something he thought was priced too low and bought it betting he could sell it again for more. If he can, that's what it was actually worth then isn't it?

Anyway, to digress a bit, owning art is fun. Moving art is not.

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2332 3.JPG

IMG_2335 2.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That watch would look rather odd with the baton hands. I like the watch, but as someone who is neither a finance bro not Manhattan middle class, my opinion doesn't matter. What model is it?
It's from the mid-20th century and I have no reference to model. What I do know is that it is equipped with an IWC cal. 853. I pretty much gravitate to this watch because I don't think most flashy finance bros will like it.

Personally I respect your opinion.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you want me to believe that aliens can travel across solar systems or galaxies, but they regularly crash on earth and leave lots of debris that international community is fighting over getting their hands on?

earth sends unmanned probes to crash land on hella planets tho , how would it be different

brokencycle

Reaction score

They reminds me of a time a styleforum poster outbid me on a suit on ebay and then tried flipping it on B&S.
earth sends unmanned probes to crash land on hella planets tho , how would it be different

I could see an individual example of this happening, but I just don't believe a regular amount of alien spacecraft are crashing into Earth since say the start of the Cold War.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The advent of a nuclear age would warrant watching? 🤷‍♂️

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dealers do this a ton on Bringatrailer and it works sadly.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just seems odd that you'd win an auction in one place, and then be able to sell it again in the *same* place for more (unless you are adding some kind of value like significantly better pictures, some kind of provenance/history documentation, etc.).

Like...didn't your audience already see it and have a chance to bid? Wouldn't they have bid higher if they wanted it? Seems like you'd succumb to "winner's curse"

But who knows...maybe the value-add is just that you are making it available for fixed-price immediate purchase. If someone sees it and says "I want that" they can just click the "BUY" button and have it shipped...no waiting for an auction schedule, making bids, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads