• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the first time in the nearly 3 years I’ve been working from home my wife thought it would be nice if we went out to lunch together.

Little did I know it was just a ruse to get me to stop somewhere and load some furniture that she had bought into my truck and then drive it home and carry it into the house.
During the time I'm recovering from my appendix surgery, I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier than 10lbs. I have found that this is a great way to avoid being helpful in all sorts of situations, although (as far as I can tell) I can lift most things I could normally lift without any discomfort. I can probably keep this grift going for another month or so.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thinking of a stand up paddle board but inflatables make my hibbeldy.

Need a very stable one for newbie.

Thoughts on rigid vs. inflatables? Recs to look at?

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rigid is always better....

Also, I appreciate the gumption it took to ask this question to this larger group of degenerates. I like the cut of your jib

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you might poke around soft top options , they are rigid inside but wrapped with soft foam (twss!) no need for wax afaik .

disclaimer i've never sup'd but have done quite a bit of surfing , one time i saw a guy pull off a stretch five on a soft top i was impressed with the performance headroom but also newb friendly , they rent them off the beach .

@Fueco ?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SUP seems like something that @Fueco would have some insight on. Or at least something @Fueco would think he had some insight on.

FWIW, every spring I say I’m gonna buy an SUP for the lake but I never do in case that counts for anything.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I need my One Black Friend On The Internet to tell me what to think about this...

Generally speaking, let the black folks ask for the chicken and watermelon rather than assuming that's what they'd like.

Get the proper board, man. Not very StyFo to be found kneeling beside your Volvo, inflating a pool toy.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Inflatables work great and are super stable. Actually my inflatables are more stable than any rigid board I have been on (but to be fair, the rigid boards were built for speed/surf not stability).

Also the convenience of the inflatable is pretty nice, especially if you have an electric pump. I use either the exhaust of my shop vac at home, or an inflatable mattress pump plugged into the car to get them mostly full and then hand pump to pressure. This feels faster than a cheap pump that can actually do full pressure on its own (some of those electric pumps take like 15+ minutes to fill one board).

I suggest just starting with a cheap one. Amazon has a bunch that are all made in the same factories. Figure out how much you like it and what you want to do with it…then you don’t spend a grand on a board that is the wrong shape/size once you get better at it.

If you want to upgrade, get a nicer paddle which makes a big difference. Also get a better pump as that’s where some of the Chinese ones cheap out. I have two and one came with a much nicer/faster hand pump then the other.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And for size a 10’6x33 is fine, but you might be happier on an 11 or 11’6x33 at your size (and the extra length will paddle a little faster).

Should be able to find a workable one for <200. Better to buy two so you and the wife can go together.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, let the black folks ask for the chicken and watermelon rather than assuming that's what they'd like.

2lsoaxgksk961.jpg

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll admit I just like the feelings "pau hana" gives me but I'm thinking something along this line:

My wife's family has a house on lake winnipesaukee in NH. We spend enough time there and considered buying SUP's when the kids were younger but in the end just kept renting for the week/weekend when we were there. Now that the kids are older, I'm glad I'm not saddled with selling equipment that I don't use.

Note, our town is on the ocean. I thought I was pretty good at paddleboarding...until I tried it on the ocean. Different skillset entirely.

It's a fun activity. I enjoyed getting out there in the mornings, with the mist on hte water, exploring all the alcoves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads