• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just received a wedding invitation for the son of a fellow I knew in collage .... but haven't seen or talked with him in over 45 years. Moreover, we didn't part on the best of terms.

Now ... for my usual sidetrack:

It was the 1970's and I had just moved into my own apartment in New York. The college "buddy" I reference above asked if he could crash with me while he was attending back to back conferences. I agreed.

This buddy knew I was looking to sell a piece of art I owned. He'd seen it previously and had been talking about it with me for weeks. It's one of the reasons I agreed to let him stay with me. I'd had another offer and he asked me to turn it down. I did. He arrived and confirmed he wanted the artwork. That same evening he helped convince me that I should buy some Hoffman chairs for the dining room and add some new lighting. With my art windfall, I thought why not.

The next day I bought that chairs and ordered the lighting. Over dinner that evening my buddy informed me he had changed his mind about buying the artwork. I noted that I'd turned down another offer and pointed out that I'd not have gone ahead with the chairs and lighting had I realized he was going to back out. His exact words were "Your financial woes are not my concern". That took me aback and I let him know he needed to pack his bags and move to a hotel. He protested saying that New York hotels are expensive. I used his line on him. He was so concerned about his new financial woe that I'm not sure he made the connection.

I never again heard from this fellow. Yes, I heard about him from time to time via friends, but we never again spoke. Now here I am getting an invitation to the wedding of his son. I'm not even sure I knew he had a son.

When I send my regrets, what should I say? ;)

EDIT: My spouse says I should say "I'd love to send a gift but my financial woes won't allow it."

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know how you feel. I am not a fan of the all white trend in houses that shouldn't be all white. Btw, my spouse's grandparents and parents were residents of La Jolla. We love spending time there. When we are that way, we have frequent casual lunches at Brockton Villa ... very near where the grandparents lived. My beagle, Sherlock, and I used to take a corner on the patio at the Valencia ... for happy hour.
I just received a wedding invitation for the son of a fellow I knew in collage .... but haven't seen or talked with him in over 45 years. Moreover, we didn't part on the best of terms.

It was the 1970's and I had just moved into my own apartment in New York. The college "buddy" I reference above asked if he could crash with me while he was attending back to back conferences. I agreed.

This buddy knew I was looking to sell a piece of art I owned. He'd seen it previously and had been talking about it with me for weeks. It's one of the reasons I agreed to let him stay with me. I'd had another offer and he asked me to turn it down. I did. He arrived and confirmed he wanted the artwork. That same evening he helped convince me that I should buy some Hoffman chairs for the dining room and add some new lighting. With my art windfall, I thought why not.

The next day I bought that chairs and ordered the lighting. Over dinner that evening my buddy informed me he had changed his mind about buying the artwork. I noted that I'd turned down another offer and pointed out that I'd not have gone ahead with the chairs and lighting had I realized he was going to back out. His exact words were "Your financial woes are not my concern". That took me aback and I let him know he needed to pack his bags and move to a hotel. He protested saying that New York hotels are expensive. I used his line on him. He was so concerned about his new financial woe that I'm not sure he made the connection.

I never again heard from this fellow. Yes, I heard about him from time to time via friends, but we never again spoke. Now here I am getting an invitation to the wedding of his son. I'm not even sure I knew he had a son.

I am super confused by this invitation. Like...is he just gift sniffing?

Edit: didn't mean to include La Jolla quote. Was gonna respond to that over weekend with my love of Pannikin and the town, but realized no one cares. But I forgot to remove quote lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RSS

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am super confused by this invitation. Like...is he just gift sniffing?
From time to time we get a wedding invitation that we feel is a bit forward ... but this one takes the cake. Dub says "He wants his hotel money back".

The weddings of relatives ... good friends and their children ... we love attending. They end up being a reunion with much loved people. But this ... no way.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From time to time we get a wedding invitation that we feel is a bit forward ... but this one takes the cake. Dub says "He wants his hotel money back".

The weddings of relatives ... good friends and their children ... we love attending. They end up being a reunion with much loved people. But this ... no way.

Ya, I have (likely) the last wedding for a while next month. I feel like most of my friends who will ever get married already are, and all our children are under 5. Might have to wait a while for the next run of weddings!

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EDIT: My spouse says I should say "I'd love to send a gift but my financial woes won't allow it."
The obvious move here is to RSVP, and no show...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ya, I have (likely) the last wedding for a while next month. I feel like most of my friends who will ever get married already are, and all our children are under 5. Might have to wait a while for the next run of weddings!
Most of our friends have "children" in their late 20's to early 40's. Many are married ... others will be. But these weddings are events I enjoy attending. One young fellow was recently married and I was thrilled to attend this milestone in his life. Heck, I'd even been at his Eagle Court of Honor at his invitation. His parents had thought of keeping him from the Scouts but I'd shared that I'd prefer to see boys (at the time) like him inside Scouting, changing their ways.

Was gonna respond to that over weekend with my love of Pannikin and the town, but realized no one cares. But I forgot to remove quote lol.
Many visits there.

Last edited:

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of our friends have "children" in their late 20's to early 40's. Many are married ... others will be. But these weddings are events I enjoy attending. One young fellow was recently married and I was thrilled to attend this milestone in his life. Heck, I'd even been at his Eagle Court of Honor at his invitation. His parents had thought of keeping him from the Scouts but I'd shared that I'd prefer to see boys (at the time) like him inside Scouting, changing their ways.

Many visits there.
Some of the best weddings I've been to were ones where I was more of a peripheral guest--no obligation to stick around or mingle, but plenty of opportunity to enjoy the festivities. I'm enjoying more of those now that my kids (and the kids of many friends) are moving into marriage age.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just went to a wedding where I made the cut for the bachelor party, but not the wedding party. Best of both worlds. Had a great time, caught up with old friends, and had no obligations.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went to a wedding where I made the cut for the bachelor party, but not the wedding party. Best of both worlds. Had a great time, caught up with old friends, and had no obligations.

That is, indeed, a sweet spot to be in. I was in that situation for the wedding next month, but I ended up giving in to the wife and not going to the bachelor party. We have a 16 month old, so she didn't want me partying in Miami.

• Sad

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is, indeed, a sweet spot to be in. I was in that situation for the wedding next month, but I ended up giving in to the wife and not going to the bachelor party. We have a 16 month old, so she didn't want me partying in Miami.
I hope she also skipped out on the bachelorette party if she was invited.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope she also skipped out on the bachelorette party if she was invited.

She was not invited. She knows the bride, but not that well. Groom and I go back a long ways.

Honestly in many ways for the best. I can't hang w/ a lot of him and his crew any more - they party harder than I can now. Plus 5/6 of them who went (including my brother) got Covid and blew up their Christmases.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some of the best weddings I've been to were ones where I was more of a peripheral guest--no obligation to stick around or mingle, but plenty of opportunity to enjoy the festivities. I'm enjoying more of those now that my kids (and the kids of many friends) are moving into marriage age.
I knew few at my niece's recent wedding. But the groom had a group of buddies with the most wonderful parents. I'd never met any of them but they pulled the two of us right in. There is a photo of me with this group and I have the biggest smile on my face. We will stay in touch with them and get together when either is the other's way.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Now that my wife’s younger cousins have all married, we are in the bar/bat mitzvah phase of life. Went to a bat mitzvah party on Saturday (indoor/outdoor, I went inside only for refills).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads