• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a cramped TJ parking lot.
TJ was the only scary part of that drive.
Well, that and the very last of 6 military check points I had to go through traveling down Baja.
The last one was the only one to ask me to open the trunk. It was then that I realized that I had NEVER looked in the trunk.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That was a hell of a long trip just to perv on middle aged Mexican women at Sephora

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I drove a convertible Mini Cooper from Long Beach to Cabo.
Much of it with the cruise control set at 100mph.
It was a super great road trip.

TIL you can wind the rubber bands that tightly.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1638340144028.jpeg

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TJ was the only scary part of that drive.
Well, that and the very last of 6 military check points I had to go through traveling down Baja.
The last one was the only one to ask me to open the trunk. It was then that I realized that I had NEVER looked in the trunk.
Back in the early '90's I drove about 2/3 of the peninsula - the trip down, on the overnight bus from TJ, was uneventful. The ride back in a VW minibus was quite the eyeopener. We left in the late afternoon - the first part of the journey in daylight was fairly quiet. However, it was Saturday night and when the sun went down things definitely started to pick up. Of course long stretches were barren and empty, but at each village or populated crossroads we encountered a scene of complete bacchanalian abandon. Luckily, most everyone was on foot or bicycle....

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the early '90's I drove about 2/3 of the peninsula - the trip down, on the overnight bus from TJ, was uneventful. The ride back in a VW minibus was quite the eyeopener. We left in the late afternoon - the first part of the journey in daylight was fairly quiet. However, it was Saturday night and when the sun went down things definitely started to pick up. Of course long stretches were barren and empty, but at each village or populated crossroads we encountered a scene of complete bacchanalian abandon. Luckily, most everyone was on foot or bicycle....
I've driven it maybe a half dozen times from the mid 70s to the mid 80s. First time Cabo was just a small village with surfers and hippies amongst the locals. Easiest way is to take Mex 2 down to Guaymas and ferry across to Santa Rosalia. Most of the arduous driving is north of there. Thats a big deal when dealing with mountain grades in a VW van on non-switchbacked roads. 40 pounders of Cuervo Gold for 3 bucks helped ease the pain.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't you hate when you can't find something and then find it and hate that you now have to do ****? **** you recip saw.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, but these days i find myself working up till i hit my first setback, and then saying fuckit and leaving the whole project unfinished

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've driven it maybe a half dozen times from the mid 70s to the mid 80s. First time Cabo was just a small village with surfers and hippies amongst the locals. Easiest way is to take Mex 2 down to Guaymas and ferry across to Santa Rosalia. Most of the arduous driving is north of there. Thats a big deal when dealing with mountain grades in a VW van on non-switchbacked roads. 40 pounders of Cuervo Gold for 3 bucks helped ease the pain.

when this convo started i'd totally assumed 9er would have a baja story from the 70s or 80s ,

so happy this came through ! ?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I called the place I was booked to stay the first night, somewhere halfway down the peninsula to get some last minute directions or something.
They said "try real hard to get here before sunset"
"why, vampires?"
"once the sun sets, all the cows tend to lay down on the road for warmth"

Sure enough, I'm getting there just as the sun is setting, and I'm doing a slow, serpentine in the canary yellow mini coop through a sea of road-laying cows.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics