• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

jack webb

Reaction score
Cheap Thrill Dept. I used to enjoy pulling up an auction within its final minute on eBay, then continually refresh the screen to watch the frenzied final bidding action. A typical pattern was to see two existing bidders go at it, only to get beaten at the wire by some theretofore unknown bidder who had been lurking in the tall grass. When bidding on an item myself I found it easy to get caught up in the thrill of the chase, more than once paying above what I should have, so began restricting myself to "Buy it Now" items.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah sniping helps you avoid emotional bidding and emotional bidders.

only to get beaten at the wire by some theretofore unknown bidder who had been lurking in the tall grass
that's what sniping sites are for!

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did that once on Bring A Trailer. Def the greatest auction/kopping related thrill of my life

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yuck. Stick to Sotheby's and Christie's, or Bonhams if you're slumming.
I note that Phillips has watches coming up in London in December. I won't shave for a week before I bid so that I look the part.

Interestingly I was tipped by a friend at Sotheby's about this watch on eBay.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: sniping

I've always used gixen. It doesn't cost anything and I've yet to have a bid go badly. It stings a bit when I lose by a few dollars but if I really wanted the item, I'd have bid more up front

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Hot take: Ebay was never the same after the invention of sniping services.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When bidding on an item myself I found it easy to get caught up in the thrill of the chase, more than once paying above what I should have, so began restricting myself to "Buy it Now" items.
I too am thrilled by the chase. I also find hunger and anticipation more gripping than the satisfaction of fullness ... but that gets us back to the chase, no?

Btw, this extends well beyond auctions and buying.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In fact, all this talk has me feeling the need for some ... "waffles".

Last edited:

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Has anyone hear from @Thrift Vader? I know he was (wisely) taking some time off but hope he's working on things and that we'll see him again before Xmas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads