• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was rather my point; don't dismiss all unpaid stuff as basically abuse. Still, I'd always be leery of unpaid labour.
But are you leery of unpaid labor?

Goddambed foreigners and all your extra u's clogging up my screen

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stagiaires should be paid, if only at minimum wage. Should be the same rules as other internships. If you're doing productive work (even if it's just peeling carrots), you should be paid.

A one-year unpaid stage is absolutely criminal.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my mind at least, I can draw the distinction between an unpaid internship where you obtain value from the experience or training or resume padding you get (if indeed that’s what staging is), and providing labor without remuneration (financial or otherwise) because you’re in a relationship where you’re on the other side of the one that has power

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'd argue peeling carrots at minimum wage is a waste of talent but putting them into real positions for free (not a year, granted!) can build talent and resumes.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd argue peeling carrots at minimum wage is a waste of talent but putting them into real positions for free (not a year, granted!) can build talent and resumes.
I'm fine with a setup where a stage rotates through the kitchen and works with all the paid cooks/chefs, but once an intern's labor is replacing a paid worker's, the intern should be paid. IIRC that's the law in the USA.

Like if you work the grill station for a week while the paid cook supervises, that sort of thing. In that case it's actually a learning experience, and the free labor isn't being exploited.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These Adveristments
1631893001944.png

So it is supposed to show an old veteran being happy with his grandkids right? Sure. No issue. But for some reason, he is wearing a chest full of Soviet WWII medals. It really bugs me for some reason. Like, jesus christ guys, get it right

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
In the US, unpaid internships are a gating mechanism for the upper classes, because who else can survive without an income but the children of the affluent and wealthy?

They're flat out illegal in CA. That one day 'working interview' sounds like it's trying to find a loophole in the law.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These Adveristments
View attachment 1670515

So it is supposed to show an old veteran being happy with his grandkids right? Sure. No issue. But for some reason, he is wearing a chest full of Soviet WWII medals. It really bugs me for some reason. Like, jesus christ guys, get it right
Good thing you closed your p o r n hub tab before you screenshotted your Russian medals.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thing you closed your p o r n hub tab before you screenshotted your Russian medals.
I don't know man, my Black midget Bukkake p o r n probably would have been a hit here

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the US, unpaid internships are a gating mechanism for the upper classes, because who else can survive without an income but the children of the affluent and wealthy?

They're flat out illegal in CA. That one day 'working interview' sounds like it's trying to find a loophole in the law.

FWIW, they came back and updated the post and it sounds slightly more legit. They wouldn't be expected to do any actual client facing work, more like fake busy work to see how they mesh with the team.

They would also get paid for the day and the job was looking to offer more than they were asking for.

So I think it ended up being OK even though I think the whole premise is stupid. @HRoi is right that this is what staffing agencies are for...bring someone in as temp-to-perm and if it works out, you bring them in full time...if not, you get the agency to send you someone new.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
They wouldn't be expected to do any actual client facing work, more like fake busy work to see how they mesh with the team.

I've been given a project to complete during an 'interview'. Nothing that would ever be used, just the equivalent of a practical exam.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.bring someone in as temp-to-perm and if it works out, you bring them in full time...if not, you get the agency to send you someone new.
That's how I'd like my girlfriend experience to be handled...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So how about paying to be unpaid labour? Student nurses do actual patient care and pay thousands of dollars in tuition to do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics